Why is Peter Weller screaming? Denzel Washington drives him crazy

June 25, 2012 | 4:05 p.m.

Peter Weller is most famous for playing the stoic heroes in outlandish sci-fi but the man definitely has a crazy button — and Denzel Washington hit that button with his Oscar-winning performance in “Training Day.”

“RoboCop” screened at the 2012 Hero Complex Film Festival. (Sean Hartter / For Hero Complex)

If you want to see for yourself, go to the 11:35 minute mark of this video as Weller rants about actors who grab the wheel of a scene and promptly wreck it. There’s nothing meek about Weller, who looks like the leader of a Mayan motorcycle gang and has harsh words for the upcoming “RoboCop” remake (that’s at the 8:20 mark) but an inspiring passion for art, the lessons of antiquity and the possibilities of Method acting.

This is the 25th anniversary of “RoboCop,” Weller’s signature role, but he also made his mark in “Naked Lunch” and the cult hit “The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the Eighth Dimension.”

The actor (who has a master’s degree in art history) is also a television director (with “Sons of Anarchy” and “House, M.D.” among his credits).

The Comic-Con crowd will be interested to hear that he will be the voice of Bruce Wayne in “The Dark Knight Returns” animated film and a costar in the J.J. Abrams “Star Trek” sequel that recently finished principal photography.

This is the sixth episode of “Hero Complex: The Show,” which features my sit-down interviews with key figures in sci-fi, comics, fantasy, horror, illustration and animation. This is a special on-stage edition of the show — Weller was one of the guests at the Hero Complex Film Festival —  and you can catch future episodes right here or by subscribing to the Nerdist Channel, our home on YouTube.

– Geoff Boucher

Malcolm McDowell rips ‘Star Trek’

‘Dredd’ imports a killer from ‘Game of Thrones’

Peter Weller brings ‘Robocop’ to L.A. on May 19

John Wagner on ‘Dredd’: Three reasons I’m excited

‘Star Trek’: Benedict Cumberbatch lights up

McDowell finally appreciates ‘A Clockwork Orange’

‘Star Trek’ sequel: A galactic reunion

Spielberg: ‘Stanley Kubrick never really leaves’

McDowell: Kirk deserved a better death scene

Tim Burton’s ‘Clockwork Orange’ vomit memory

Harrison Ford: Effects films now soulless

William Shatner & Adam West toga memories

Nimoy: ‘Trek’ fans can be scary

Comments

9 Responses to Why is Peter Weller screaming? Denzel Washington drives him crazy

1. Fitz says:

I wonder what it was about the Festival that made Weller and McDowell so angry.

2. Sophie says:

LOL. THis was probably the most entertaining (not in a complimentary way) self-indulgent crap I've ever seen. I really don't think anyone who enjoys Training Day or admires Denzel Washington cares whether the scenes in the car are real to what happens in real life. I mean, have you SEEN Training Day? I don't think the detail of the car scenes is that much of a concern to that genre. It was concerned about much higher moral imperatives than Robocop. But he should send this advice to John Singleton. I'm sure he'll be right on it.

• Vidhoe says:

He could send it to Singleton, but he would just say "WTF? I didn't direct it". Send it to Antoine Fuqua instead (He'll probably say WTF too)

• Diane says:

I disagree. My suspension of disbelief goes out the window during car scenes. The actors rarely move as though driving and do not pay attention to the road. It glaringly reminds me I am watching a movie…and that is not ever what I want. Weller is spot on in describing phisical action incorporated into the emotional/intellectual scene.

3. Roger says:

Actually, Peter Weller got it 100% right. Driving scenes in most films are really done badly. Weller explains the reasons and it would make the film much more believable if done like he advocates. We need more believability in films, not less. I do remember the driving scenes in "Training Day" and laughed when I saw how long Denzel's eyes were away from the street.

• Donald says:

No, we don't need more believability in films. We need more:
      * Smart-assed pre-pubescent kids mouthing off to dimwitted adults;
      * Shamelessly exploitve racial and ethnic stereotypes who pander to the least common white denominator;
      * Over-the-top special effects, gargantuan explosions and gratuitous heavy weapons fire;
      * Serial killers, ghosts, vampires and werewolves;
      * Hunky guys who lust after women, yet cluelessly engage in homoerotic behavior with one another; and
      *Totally fFabulous babes who'll disrobe on a dime, and for no apparent reason.

4. Sheldon_W says:

Peter Weller is definitely not shy – and he's not wrong, either. Car scenes shot on a process trailer always leave me wondering how many dead people would be lying in the car's wake while the driver is looking anywhere but at the road.

In the case of Training Day, in particular, he's bang bloody spot on, too. The film grinds to a halt whenever Washington and Hawke are in the car. The loss of energy is that noticeable!