Zack Snyder finds his Superman: Henry Cavill

Jan. 30, 2011 | 9:40 a.m.
superman henry cavill Zack Snyder finds his Superman: Henry Cavill

Henry Cavill (Warner Bros.)

British actor Henry Cavill, who is largely unknown to those who aren’t fans of the Showtime drama “The Tudors,” has landed the part of perhaps America’s most iconic character: Superman.

Cavill will play the red-and-blue-clad superhero, as well as his alter ego Clark Kent, in the  Zack Snyder-directed reboot of the franchise set for release in December 2012, Warner Bros. announced Sunday.

The 27-year-old actor is familiar with the role as he reportedly was very close to getting it in 2006’s “Superman Returns,” before director McG was replaced by Bryan Singer, who instead cast Brandon Routh.

He will be much better known to movie fans this November when he stars in the Greek myth drama “Immortals.”

— Ben Fritz

Superman Jim Lee

Zack Synder: Superman is a tough one to crack

Christopher Nolan breaks silence on Superman film

“Smallville’s” Welling on why he still hasn’t worn the suit

Grant Morrison: Batman has a butler, Superman has a boss

Sordid secret of “Superman” creator Joe Shuster

VIDEO: Christopher Reeve on ‘Tonight Show’

Before Lois Lane, Torchy Blane got the scoop

“Superman vs. Muhammad Ali”: Still the champ

A look back: Superman on Broadway in 1966

The Superman problem: Can he still fly in 21st century?

90 Responses to Zack Snyder finds his Superman: Henry Cavill

1. Arthur Marcus says:

This franchise is hungry for greatness! This is the time to rebuild the franchise. They better not include Lex Luthor or General Zod in any Superman movies for a while. They should utilise the villains that weren't included in the previous films such as Bizarro, Brainiac, Doomsday, Metallo, Toyman, Darkseid, Atomic Skull, Bloodsport, Bruno Mannheim, Conduit, Cyborg Superman, Faora, Gog, Imperiex, Intergang, Jax-Ur, Kryptonite Man, Livewire, Mala, Mercy Graves, Mongul, Morgan Edge, Mr. Mxyzptlk, Parasite, Prankster, Sam Lane, Silver Banshee, Solaris, Superboy-Prime, Superman Revenge Squad, Terra-Man, Titano, Ultra-Humanite, Ultraman. This is a second chance to get it right. This is an opportunity.

2. MovieWatcher says:

Yeeecccchhhh!!!! FAILBOMB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8P

3. alicee says:

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! im so excited for him!

4. yankonthepitch says:

Interesting, I was hoping for Jon Hamm, but gotta love the unknowns Christian Bale was fairly unknown before Batman Begins and that worked out.

5. Elijah Nicolas says:

I don't see why they had to recast. I thought that Brandon Routh did an awesome job!

6. sharpey says:

can't wait to see him the superman costume..

7. lolol says:

@yankonthepitch Jon Hamm? Who wants to see their superhero pushing 50? Not me….and unknown? Neither Christian Bale nor Henry Cavill were/are unknowns…you just must be out of touch with reality….

8. TAL says:

Henry Cavill as many online fans know especially at has been a fan favorite for many years since about 2003-2004; when there was early rumors of a new Supes movie that eventually became Superman Returns w/ Brandon Routh. Though cited to be 6' 1" in height & quite young, he was highly favored by many, including myself, to be the top choice for a new Superman. Now, 5 yrs later after the fail of SR, Hollywood took note of the fans just as they did w/ Bale for Batman, and we got him. And for those of us who advocated him back in the day, I speak for a good chunk of us when I say we couldn't be happier.

9. Mike says:

I'll be standing in line to see this. I love Henry.

10. judea says:

no luther or zod no luther or zod

11. cassie says:

This is HORRIBLE!
    TOM WELLING was the fan favorite! You have RUINED my favorite superhero now!

12. T-time says:

I wanted Tom Welling. If he wasn't available, I would accept Jon Hamm. If it couldn't be him either, I was open to Armie Hammer. If he turned it down, I was interested in Joe Manganiello. Nowhere on my list was dainty-faced Cavill.

13. omg says:

What the hell is this?! He looks like a stiff wind could blow him over!! He would lose in a fight with kittens! No to this loser!

14. jes says:

Never watched The Tudors before but I may just start… he's HOT!!!

15. jack says:

Seriously this guy?

Don’t think there’ll be another as good as christopher reeve.

I can another failure.

16. kevin says:

I do believe Brandon Routh should have kept the role as superman, Tom Welling should have also been a perfect choice for the role of superman since he’s been playing Clark Kent for 10 years already, But it never hurts to try something new once in a while.

17. Gerard Francois Lefevre says:

I’m a South African and it doesn’t matter who you cast as Superman, what matters is the fact that who ever plays Superman doesn’t change his character. He’ll always be the ultimate superhero. His character is flawless and I’m just happy there are more movies coming out of the great Superhero. Thanks Warner Brothers

18. Daniele Messina says:

This guy has a really strong resemblance with Christopher Reeve. Is this a good thing? Nope. Because he will look like a comic con impersonator, a parody.
    Besides, there is a Superman already, and he is Brandon Routh. I am so disappointed.

19. Kat says:

I've been a huge Superman fan since I was a little girl. I had reservations about Brandon Routh in SR, but I was blown away by what a perfect fit he was, all the little nuances of Christopher Reeve.
    I think this next film is going to be disappointing with the recast and I will definitely be boycotting it!
    There's no way this guy will do Superman any justice!

20. Joel Contreras says:

A poll done by in October Titled (Who Should Play the New Superman),Tom Welling got a whoppiing 56%,Matt Bomer 14%,Brandon Routh 13%,Jon Hamm 8% and HENRY CAVILL A LOW 6%.This was a HUGE mistake for the casting and the boxoffice will prove thisHuge mistake in not casting Tom Welling!!!

21. joe says:

tom welling is the fan favorite, someone new not sure if that is a good idea. bad choice, people will still watch? maybe then again maybe not. superman flawless i don't think so, in a fist fight one on one no powers against batman superman would surly loose he has no skills when it comes to fighting. Warner brothers needs to drop Cavil and try their best to get Welling before to many fans decide not to see this new crap I for one well not unless they do

22. rae says:

I WON'T watch it then! I am soooo tired of the actor constantly changing! If Tom Welling doesn't play the part, I absolutely will not watch it.

23. Leena says:

Really wanted to see Brandon Routh as Superman in the next movie, liked Superman Returns quite a bit. Was looking forward to it. I thought Routh did a nice job. And the idea of a 'bad' superman is not appealing me right now as much.
    Routh did a nice job in playing the sensitivity of the character, the strong moral code and strength inspired by the memory of his parents the only way of connecting with whom was his deep heartfelt adherence to morals, as well as his subdued manner of expressing his emotional side to the world

24. supesfanforlife says:

This guy sucks period. Warner Brothers sucks at finding someone to play the part. They must be pretty ignorant, OFFER TOM WELLING WHAT IT TAKES. Routh was a disappointment and this guy looks like a train wreck. Lets just cause everyone to hate Superman due to the worst cast pics of all time. Get it right or don't do it. Pay Tom enough to make it happen or keep looking for the right guy. GET REAL PEOPLE this guy sucks.

25. Dannybohy says:

Wow!! just wow!
    When I heard Joe M froM True Blood might get the role I had high hopes! this is a shock!
    this film will not work! the guy isnt tall enough and he has a pug nose!! who wants a short pug nose Superman!?
    Looks like another case of Superboy, just liek Returns. Damn shame!

26. Steveo says:

Joe Manganiello would have been perfect. Look like they are naking Superboy movie again!

27. andy says:

Worst casting ever.And Zack Snyder is a terrible director-all surface gloss and no substance.

28. patrick mcmahon says:

Dont wanna see Justice League Dead, but they should somehow work the films towards Superman vs Doomsday where Justice League are left on the edge of existence from battling Doomsday, then Superman can have the excuse for losing his rag and an epic battle can begin!! could involve certain elements of the animated SM vs DD….? justice league cld be introduced like in the coming Marvel movies!!!??? Superman has to battle darkseid or mongul i think, or possibly both with the Justice league first, Bats and wonder woman should be introduced in the next couple of films!!

29. femme says:

I'd honestly rather have them kill the character off than let this pantywaist undermine him.

30. Jay says:

31. Boki says:

c'mon!!!! -.-
    we want TOM WELLING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

32. Kalyan says:

i never felt Tom Welling as adequate choice for playing the Man of Steel…Kal el should be some one who matches the look as it is in the graphics…perhaps the closet for now is Brandoun Routh but the guy isn't a hell of actor…Personally i feel they should do the reboot conforming the story lines of "the Birthright" and "Secret origins"…….and desist to project Luthor as somebody as dark and but not drab as Ra's Al ghul but like the way it was portrayed in the "birthright" series.

33. Natan says:

Why is Hollywood always trying to make Superman gay? ??
    They don't do this to other superheros.
    Why always Superman?!!
    It's a sickness in them!

34. joe says:

I would like to also say that leave the old movies alone and when Smallville is over pick up where they end but don't use any body other than tom welling he is the only one that can make it work and also don't recast get the actors that played the characters in Smallville . I am a fan of superman.

35. superfan says:

Blow away in a stiff wind? You guys must be looking at old photos of Cavill. 5 years ago, yeah, he had sort of 'dainty' features and was skinny, but he really isn't anymore. And as for not tall enough, he's over 6 feet, which is better than most actors in Hollywood. There's a reason he keeps coming up on the list for Superman, James Bond, etc. Look at his more recent photos/work and you'll see he's really grown up from the model-y looking kid.

36. commensensedude says:

People, this is a REBOOT. Casting Welling or Routh would be like casting George Clooney or Val Kilmer as Batman in Batman Begins. Besides, Welling is from the tv show, this isn't based on that crappy show.

37. mettaanderson says:

Finally! A Superman for older women!

38. Kevin says:

If he does end up playing Superman he better use an american accent not his brittish accent. The last thing i wanna see is some british version of Americas Man of Steel. I think Brandon Routh should have reprised his role he did a great job in SR or Tom Welling cause hell Christopher Reeve himself passed the torch to Welling in Smallville. Unfortunately we can't always get what we want. No one i repeat NO ONE will ever do as great a job as the late great Christopher Reeve.

39. Carlos says:

Zack Snyder acabou com o Superman. Esse cara ai nunca será o superman. Mais um fracasso do cinema. Lamento.

40. Sheila G says:

He was fantastic in the Tudors – can't wait to see what a great actor can do with Superman.

41. Sheila G says:

This was a bad choice for a picture. Check out his page on Wikipedia or the Tudors site on Showtime.

42. Harriet says:

Henry Cavill was well cast in the Tudors as Henry’s best friend. However, he is all wrong for Superman. They should have given the role to Brandon Routh who looked and acted like Superman.

43. Elery says:

SAVE SUPERMAN FOR ONCE!!! theres no question on the matter. for a long time we had reeves to look up to as superman… they stuck with him.. and now we got a new superman who i might say bares very little likeness to reeves. but to change it up so soon will inherently destroy the whole idea of this new movie. yes we need a new and better movie. no we dont need a new actor. change anyone else it wont matter to the viewer. it would be like changing Christian Bale in batman. not happening the public has excepted the he is batman. same concept weve excepted that routh is superman. change any other actor we wont mind. the did it in the dark knight with rachels character we didnt care all to much so change lois jimmy anybody but Brandon Routh…

44. awww says:

A brit as superman? That is like having a yankee as Bond.

45. kalel1970 says:

The new movie is low budget. The producers said they would do a nation-wide search, yet they picked who was right next to them, and saved money. The production value will be low-budget: the sets will be kept to a minimum, and employ cheap green screen shots. WB is banking on the sex appeal of Henry Cavill. They will do hip, fashion-statement of a movie: a sorority-girl does frat-boy style relationship coupled with bone-crunching action. Clark Kent will be a metro-sexual wearing an armani suit, gucci glasses, drinking Ketel One vodka, and driving a Jaguar to work. The production budget will be 20M and the advertising 80M. It will be presented in 3D. And poor Henry Cavill will ruin his career within this mess of a movie.

He is a very handsome guy. But if he is to play Superman, he'll needs a nose prosthetic to conceal the pug!

46. Gray Poenitske says:

two words…TOM WELLING!

47. Gray Poenitske says:

America Has Grown To Know Tom Welling As Superman,Why Would You Not Use Him???
    He Is Known Today as Christopher Reeves Was In The 80's.
    I Say Boycott!!!
    Till You Get It Right, They Will never Do As Well As The "Original" Superman Movies! All I Say Is Shame On You WB!!!

48. lloydy says:

Henry Cavill is an excellent choice.

49. Marco Ramirez says:

Good Luck Kal EL up up and away!!!

50. HMarsh says:

Watch The Tudors before you pass judgment. Henry Cavill is an excellent actor with loads of intelligence and depth. He's also very athletic and well-suited to the part. He's an imaginative and interesting choice for Superman.

51. J shaw says:

You guys are crazy. Just crazy! Tom Welling is superman. Christopher Reeve even said so and now I'm sure he rolled over in his grave. This is a serious dishonor to his memory!! I won't be going to see the new movie. I now have no interest.

52. Ellen says:

He's dreeeamy. :D And I love him in The Tudors!! :D I've been concerned about a Superman that doesn't fly.., this makes me feel a little better… :D

53. kevin burdine says:

what the hell super man has allways an american this ant harry potter if your going that way pick dan radcliff. this movie going to be a dud. oh i said super man 4 was to and look what happend.

54. BRF says:

55. Real Eye says:

Vin Diesel as Luthor

56. jon l says:

I like cavil as an actor first off and I do think that he is capable of playing the shy. nuances of Clark, but honestly a huge part of the role is the tall, dark haired, blue eyed look of Superman that immediately keeps the viewers from being distracted and allows them to begin to take interest in the ensuing plot.Routh in a better movie= :-)

57. Mrs Wilde says:

Tom Welling is too girly. Henry is a super – hunk!

58. Ciara says:

I feel bad for Brandon! Superman Returns was flawed and yes, it felt like a tribute to the Christopher Reeve movies but he was well cast in the role! he acted it well and he 100% looked the part!… they could have done with a far better Lois Lane, Kate Bosworth was dreadful. I like Henry Cavill he's just not superman in my eyes, Superman's a classically handsome kinda fella not a costume drama stubbley type! eh, as long as they don't fall into the trap of making him "dark" they have my support

59. Zorro-el says:

Henry Cavill IS Superman.

There's no better choice for the role.