Zack Snyder finds his Superman: Henry Cavill

Jan. 30, 2011 | 9:40 a.m.
superman henry cavill Zack Snyder finds his Superman: Henry Cavill

Henry Cavill (Warner Bros.)

British actor Henry Cavill, who is largely unknown to those who aren’t fans of the Showtime drama “The Tudors,” has landed the part of perhaps America’s most iconic character: Superman.

Cavill will play the red-and-blue-clad superhero, as well as his alter ego Clark Kent, in the  Zack Snyder-directed reboot of the franchise set for release in December 2012, Warner Bros. announced Sunday.

The 27-year-old actor is familiar with the role as he reportedly was very close to getting it in 2006’s “Superman Returns,” before director McG was replaced by Bryan Singer, who instead cast Brandon Routh.

He will be much better known to movie fans this November when he stars in the Greek myth drama “Immortals.”

– Ben Fritz

Superman Jim Lee

Zack Synder: Superman is a tough one to crack

Christopher Nolan breaks silence on Superman film

“Smallville’s” Welling on why he still hasn’t worn the suit

Grant Morrison: Batman has a butler, Superman has a boss

Sordid secret of “Superman” creator Joe Shuster

VIDEO: Christopher Reeve on ‘Tonight Show’

Before Lois Lane, Torchy Blane got the scoop

“Superman vs. Muhammad Ali”: Still the champ

A look back: Superman on Broadway in 1966

The Superman problem: Can he still fly in 21st century?

Comments

90 Responses to Zack Snyder finds his Superman: Henry Cavill

1. Arthur Marcus says:

This franchise is hungry for greatness! This is the time to rebuild the franchise. They better not include Lex Luthor or General Zod in any Superman movies for a while. They should utilise the villains that weren't included in the previous films such as Bizarro, Brainiac, Doomsday, Metallo, Toyman, Darkseid, Atomic Skull, Bloodsport, Bruno Mannheim, Conduit, Cyborg Superman, Faora, Gog, Imperiex, Intergang, Jax-Ur, Kryptonite Man, Livewire, Mala, Mercy Graves, Mongul, Morgan Edge, Mr. Mxyzptlk, Parasite, Prankster, Sam Lane, Silver Banshee, Solaris, Superboy-Prime, Superman Revenge Squad, Terra-Man, Titano, Ultra-Humanite, Ultraman. This is a second chance to get it right. This is an opportunity.

• Silvio Renzulli says:

uh than who? I don't want to see or Zod or Luthor other than as minor cameos. Darkseid or Doomsday would be okay with me as i doubt they would be done as in Smallville. I actually think they should take the Straczynski graphic novel "Superman Earth One" and adapt it to the live screen. Its perfect!

• george presnell says:

i agree with making the Straczynski book the adaptation for the movie. as far as luthor…keep it as a cameo and possibly build him up for the next movie as the main villian, but only if the end fight is with luthor in his battle suit.

• Lana2.0 says:

"Earth One" is emo crap that should never be spoken of again.

• joseph says:

It would be great if they use both parasite and metallo. many people think they aren't that great but is all about on how to use them. i would put metallo as an opposing force and parasite can be like an alien hiding in the shadows waiting to strike and absorb superman. also will be great to put superman to it is limits and showing that he has brain to deal with an enemy.

• Hypoxic says:

Hail, Darkseid!

• Ry Showalter says:

If you notice carefully Brainiac is in the third movie as a super computer. But yes I waould like to see Bizzaro or other villains in this movie.

• Lisa says:

Everyone needs to take a look at the red-and-blue superhero in the comic magazine. Superman is HUGE with amazing muscle structure…biceps, pecks, triceps, forearms, and legs built like logs. This superhero is built like a brick house! I sure hope they've got Henry in the gym lifting like he's never done before. He needs to be on all kinds of steroids and a diet that will pack on the muscle. He needs to bulk out and train like crazy…and that's only if he has the right muscle structure to get that way. Seriously. Scroll up. Look at Henry and look at the comic sketch. Can Henry really pull Superman off? I'm just asking…

And then there's Amy Adams as Lois Lane. I love Amy Adams, but she is going to have to do some serious work to make me a believer. Lois is always a skinny, busty, sexy, hot, dark haired, come-do-me reporter and Amy is always the dirty blonde cute girl. I've never seen her play any other role. I'm NOT sold.

They have to nail those two characters before they can even start in on the rest.

2. MovieWatcher says:

Yeeecccchhhh!!!! FAILBOMB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8P

3. alicee says:

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! im so excited for him!

4. yankonthepitch says:

Interesting, I was hoping for Jon Hamm, but gotta love the unknowns Christian Bale was fairly unknown before Batman Begins and that worked out.

• John Baker says:

Bale had already done American Psycho, The Machinist and Empire of the Sun before being cast as Batman. Hardly unknown.

• Geezerman says:

Christian Bale was unknown if you lived under a rock…and then why they hell would you come out to watch a Batman movie.

• Josetynite says:

Bale's portfolio had more in it before he was Batman. If anything they should have re-cast Brandon Routh but with a better suit in it. Not one that has a million little superman "s" all over it.

5. Elijah Nicolas says:

I don't see why they had to recast. I thought that Brandon Routh did an awesome job!

• Josh says:

totally agree with this statement

• joseph says:

Brandon Routh did a great job is not his fault that bryan singer make a mess of the movie direction.

• Hypoxic says:

They had to recast because they were rebooting. It wouldn't make sense to recast Routh.

• Ellen says:

I did love Brandon Routh too. I thought he nailed it. I was very disappointed to find out he wouldn't be Superman. Luckily though, I love Henry Cavill as well…

• Bradley Miller says:

pls he sucked it up in superman returns! dont get me wrong hes an ok actor and everything! but he is by no means a superman! i wish tom welling or jon hamm would have gotten the part! but you have to know the mythology in order to uderstand that much of it!

• Karol says:

i agree. i thought he was perfect,he reminded me of the original actor who played superman. Awsomeplease let him return as superman.

• ray says:

i agree i thought the same as well Brandon Routh was a good superman i thought the movie could have been better but they should have stayed with him.

6. sharpey says:

can't wait to see him the superman costume..

7. lolol says:

@yankonthepitch Jon Hamm? Who wants to see their superhero pushing 50? Not me….and unknown? Neither Christian Bale nor Henry Cavill were/are unknowns…you just must be out of touch with reality….

8. TAL says:

Henry Cavill as many online fans know especially at Superherohype.com has been a fan favorite for many years since about 2003-2004; when there was early rumors of a new Supes movie that eventually became Superman Returns w/ Brandon Routh. Though cited to be 6' 1" in height & quite young, he was highly favored by many, including myself, to be the top choice for a new Superman. Now, 5 yrs later after the fail of SR, Hollywood took note of the fans just as they did w/ Bale for Batman, and we got him. And for those of us who advocated him back in the day, I speak for a good chunk of us when I say we couldn't be happier.

• dave says:

and I speak for a good chunk of Superman fans when I say:

"BOOOOO! VERY UNHAPPY WITH THIS!"

Cavill is pathetically soft.

• Joel Contreras says:

Heck No I disagree with you.First of all another Brit playing an American icon??GET REAL!Superman should have been played by an American actor.Batman already has Bale who is a great actor and Bale has been acting since 1986-87 Stephen Spielbergs Empire of the Sun.A poll done by EW.com in October Titled (Who Should Play the New Superman),Tom Welling got a whoppiing 56%,Matt Bomer 14%,Brandon Routh 13%,Jon Hamm 8% and HENRY CAVILL A LOW 6%.This was a HUGE mistake for the casting and the boxoffice will prove this.IF this movie BOMBS (ala Watchmen),what will WB do next?Huge mistake in not casting Tom Welling!!!

• Jango Fett says:

Maybe Tom is a little young looking to play the fully matured, lived in the world look of the movie Superman. I’m English and never heard Henry Cavill. Don’t see why they’re replacing Brandon Routh. He has the look and quite calm demeanour that Christopher Reeve had( I’m not saying Chris will ever be bettered) I say Routh needs to be given the chance at a better Supes film than the last effort.

• Josetynite says:

I just can't believe they're re-casting the role of superman. They wouldn't do this to Christopher Reeves if he only made one superman movie. I really appreciated Brandon Routh as superman. He had all the characteristics and mannerisms that Reeves had. I dont believe in Cavill at all.

• nikisma says:

cavill is 5'11", nowhere near the height that our superman is supposed to be. brandon routh at least had the physique down cold, and with some acting lessons who knows what a great superman he could have been. cavill can act i'll give you that, but he can't make up for missing a good 5 inches in height.

9. Mike says:

I'll be standing in line to see this. I love Henry.

10. judea says:

no luther or zod no luther or zod

11. cassie says:

This is HORRIBLE!
    TOM WELLING was the fan favorite! You have RUINED my favorite superhero now!
    DIE WARNER BROTHERS DIE!

• Colleen says:

I agree with you! i love tom welling!

• KilljoyBob says:

Tom Welling couldn’t act his way out of a wet paper bag. All he’s good for is pouting.

Besides, I think the point is to keep the movie franchise seperate from “Smallville.”

• Gray Poenitske says:

Agree 1,000,000 %!!! Welling Has Been Superman For The Last 10 Years!!!(Smallville)
      I Still Say this Is Why The 1st Remake Flopped! Welling Should Be & In the Fans Eyes Always Will Be(R.I.P. Chris) Our New SUPERMAN!!!

• Hypoxic says:

Welling wasn't the Superman fan favourite, he was the Smallville fan favourite. There's an immense difference.

12. T-time says:

I wanted Tom Welling. If he wasn't available, I would accept Jon Hamm. If it couldn't be him either, I was open to Armie Hammer. If he turned it down, I was interested in Joe Manganiello. Nowhere on my list was dainty-faced Cavill.

13. omg says:

What the hell is this?! He looks like a stiff wind could blow him over!! He would lose in a fight with kittens! No to this loser!

14. jes says:

Never watched The Tudors before but I may just start… he's HOT!!!

15. jack says:

Seriously this guy?

Don’t think there’ll be another as good as christopher reeve.

I can another failure.

16. kevin says:

I do believe Brandon Routh should have kept the role as superman, Tom Welling should have also been a perfect choice for the role of superman since he’s been playing Clark Kent for 10 years already, But it never hurts to try something new once in a while.

17. Gerard Francois Lefevre says:

I’m a South African and it doesn’t matter who you cast as Superman, what matters is the fact that who ever plays Superman doesn’t change his character. He’ll always be the ultimate superhero. His character is flawless and I’m just happy there are more movies coming out of the great Superhero. Thanks Warner Brothers

18. Daniele Messina says:

This guy has a really strong resemblance with Christopher Reeve. Is this a good thing? Nope. Because he will look like a comic con impersonator, a parody.
    Besides, there is a Superman already, and he is Brandon Routh. I am so disappointed.

BRING ROUTH BACK!!!

19. Kat says:

I've been a huge Superman fan since I was a little girl. I had reservations about Brandon Routh in SR, but I was blown away by what a perfect fit he was, all the little nuances of Christopher Reeve.
    I think this next film is going to be disappointing with the recast and I will definitely be boycotting it!
    There's no way this guy will do Superman any justice!

20. Joel Contreras says:

A poll done by EW.com in October Titled (Who Should Play the New Superman),Tom Welling got a whoppiing 56%,Matt Bomer 14%,Brandon Routh 13%,Jon Hamm 8% and HENRY CAVILL A LOW 6%.This was a HUGE mistake for the casting and the boxoffice will prove thisHuge mistake in not casting Tom Welling!!!

21. joe says:

tom welling is the fan favorite, someone new not sure if that is a good idea. bad choice, people will still watch? maybe then again maybe not. superman flawless i don't think so, in a fist fight one on one no powers against batman superman would surly loose he has no skills when it comes to fighting. Warner brothers needs to drop Cavil and try their best to get Welling before to many fans decide not to see this new crap I for one well not unless they do

22. rae says:

I WON'T watch it then! I am soooo tired of the actor constantly changing! If Tom Welling doesn't play the part, I absolutely will not watch it.

23. Leena says:

Really wanted to see Brandon Routh as Superman in the next movie, liked Superman Returns quite a bit. Was looking forward to it. I thought Routh did a nice job. And the idea of a 'bad' superman is not appealing me right now as much.
    Routh did a nice job in playing the sensitivity of the character, the strong moral code and strength inspired by the memory of his parents the only way of connecting with whom was his deep heartfelt adherence to morals, as well as his subdued manner of expressing his emotional side to the world

24. supesfanforlife says:

This guy sucks period. Warner Brothers sucks at finding someone to play the part. They must be pretty ignorant, OFFER TOM WELLING WHAT IT TAKES. Routh was a disappointment and this guy looks like a train wreck. Lets just cause everyone to hate Superman due to the worst cast pics of all time. Get it right or don't do it. Pay Tom enough to make it happen or keep looking for the right guy. GET REAL PEOPLE this guy sucks.

25. Dannybohy says:

Wow!! just wow!
    EPIC FAIL!
    When I heard Joe M froM True Blood might get the role I had high hopes! this is a shock!
    this film will not work! the guy isnt tall enough and he has a pug nose!! who wants a short pug nose Superman!?
    Looks like another case of Superboy, just liek Returns. Damn shame!

26. Steveo says:

Joe Manganiello would have been perfect. Look like they are naking Superboy movie again!

27. andy says:

Worst casting ever.And Zack Snyder is a terrible director-all surface gloss and no substance.

28. patrick mcmahon says:

Dont wanna see Justice League Dead, but they should somehow work the films towards Superman vs Doomsday where Justice League are left on the edge of existence from battling Doomsday, then Superman can have the excuse for losing his rag and an epic battle can begin!! could involve certain elements of the animated SM vs DD….? justice league cld be introduced like in the coming Marvel movies!!!??? Superman has to battle darkseid or mongul i think, or possibly both with the Justice league first, Bats and wonder woman should be introduced in the next couple of films!!

29. femme says:

I'd honestly rather have them kill the character off than let this pantywaist undermine him.

30. Jay says:

ARE YOU SERIOUS, WHO THE HELL DOES THAT, SEE GOLD AND THEN PASS IT UP, TOME WELLING IS CLARK KENT ON SMALLVILLE AND HE IS BECOMING "THE MAN OF STEEL" WHICH THE WORLD IS WAITING TO SEE THAT HAPPEN AND YOUR GOING TO PASS THAT UP?
    THIS IS RIDICULOUS, A CHANCE TO MAKE HISTORY IS BEING BRUSHED AWAY WITHOUT THE THOUGHT OF EFFECTS IT WOULD HAVE IF THEY WOULD JUST WORK WITH THE RIGHT MAN FOR THE JOB, I'M DISAPPOINTED AND HERE COMES THE DEATH OF SUPERMAN FINALLY.

31. Boki says:

c'mon!!!! -.-
    we want TOM WELLING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

32. Kalyan says:

i never felt Tom Welling as adequate choice for playing the Man of Steel…Kal el should be some one who matches the look as it is in the graphics…perhaps the closet for now is Brandoun Routh but the guy isn't a hell of actor…Personally i feel they should do the reboot conforming the story lines of "the Birthright" and "Secret origins"…….and desist to project Luthor as somebody as dark and but not drab as Ra's Al ghul but like the way it was portrayed in the "birthright" series.

33. Natan says:

Why is Hollywood always trying to make Superman gay? ??
    They don't do this to other superheros.
    Why always Superman?!!
    It's a sickness in them!

34. joe says:

I would like to also say that leave the old movies alone and when Smallville is over pick up where they end but don't use any body other than tom welling he is the only one that can make it work and also don't recast get the actors that played the characters in Smallville . I am a fan of superman.

35. superfan says:

Blow away in a stiff wind? You guys must be looking at old photos of Cavill. 5 years ago, yeah, he had sort of 'dainty' features and was skinny, but he really isn't anymore. And as for not tall enough, he's over 6 feet, which is better than most actors in Hollywood. There's a reason he keeps coming up on the list for Superman, James Bond, etc. Look at his more recent photos/work and you'll see he's really grown up from the model-y looking kid.

36. commensensedude says:

People, this is a REBOOT. Casting Welling or Routh would be like casting George Clooney or Val Kilmer as Batman in Batman Begins. Besides, Welling is from the tv show, this isn't based on that crappy show.

37. mettaanderson says:

Finally! A Superman for older women!

38. Kevin says:

If he does end up playing Superman he better use an american accent not his brittish accent. The last thing i wanna see is some british version of Americas Man of Steel. I think Brandon Routh should have reprised his role he did a great job in SR or Tom Welling cause hell Christopher Reeve himself passed the torch to Welling in Smallville. Unfortunately we can't always get what we want. No one i repeat NO ONE will ever do as great a job as the late great Christopher Reeve.

39. Carlos says:

Zack Snyder acabou com o Superman. Esse cara ai nunca será o superman. Mais um fracasso do cinema. Lamento.

40. Sheila G says:

He was fantastic in the Tudors – can't wait to see what a great actor can do with Superman.

41. Sheila G says:

This was a bad choice for a picture. Check out his page on Wikipedia or the Tudors site on Showtime.

42. Harriet says:

Henry Cavill was well cast in the Tudors as Henry’s best friend. However, he is all wrong for Superman. They should have given the role to Brandon Routh who looked and acted like Superman.

43. Elery says:

SAVE SUPERMAN FOR ONCE!!! theres no question on the matter. for a long time we had reeves to look up to as superman… they stuck with him.. and now we got a new superman who i might say bares very little likeness to reeves. but to change it up so soon will inherently destroy the whole idea of this new movie. yes we need a new and better movie. no we dont need a new actor. change anyone else it wont matter to the viewer. it would be like changing Christian Bale in batman. not happening the public has excepted the he is batman. same concept weve excepted that routh is superman. change any other actor we wont mind. the did it in the dark knight with rachels character we didnt care all to much so change lois jimmy anybody but Brandon Routh…

44. awww says:

A brit as superman? That is like having a yankee as Bond.

45. kalel1970 says:

The new movie is low budget. The producers said they would do a nation-wide search, yet they picked who was right next to them, and saved money. The production value will be low-budget: the sets will be kept to a minimum, and employ cheap green screen shots. WB is banking on the sex appeal of Henry Cavill. They will do hip, fashion-statement of a movie: a sorority-girl does frat-boy style relationship coupled with bone-crunching action. Clark Kent will be a metro-sexual wearing an armani suit, gucci glasses, drinking Ketel One vodka, and driving a Jaguar to work. The production budget will be 20M and the advertising 80M. It will be presented in 3D. And poor Henry Cavill will ruin his career within this mess of a movie.

He is a very handsome guy. But if he is to play Superman, he'll needs a nose prosthetic to conceal the pug!

46. Gray Poenitske says:

two words…TOM WELLING!

47. Gray Poenitske says:

America Has Grown To Know Tom Welling As Superman,Why Would You Not Use Him???
    He Is Known Today as Christopher Reeves Was In The 80's.
    I Say Boycott!!!
    Till You Get It Right, They Will never Do As Well As The "Original" Superman Movies! All I Say Is Shame On You WB!!!

48. lloydy says:

Henry Cavill is an excellent choice.

49. Marco Ramirez says:

Good Luck Kal EL up up and away!!!

50. HMarsh says:

Watch The Tudors before you pass judgment. Henry Cavill is an excellent actor with loads of intelligence and depth. He's also very athletic and well-suited to the part. He's an imaginative and interesting choice for Superman.

51. J shaw says:

You guys are crazy. Just crazy! Tom Welling is superman. Christopher Reeve even said so and now I'm sure he rolled over in his grave. This is a serious dishonor to his memory!! I won't be going to see the new movie. I now have no interest.

52. Ellen says:

He's dreeeamy. :D And I love him in The Tudors!! :D I've been concerned about a Superman that doesn't fly.., this makes me feel a little better… :D

53. kevin burdine says:

what the hell super man has allways an american this ant harry potter if your going that way pick dan radcliff. this movie going to be a dud. oh i said super man 4 was to and look what happend.

54. BRF says:

THIS IS SO DISAPPOINTING! BRANDON ROUTH IS SUPERMAN!!

55. Real Eye says:

Vin Diesel as Luthor

56. jon l says:

I like cavil as an actor first off and I do think that he is capable of playing the shy. nuances of Clark, but honestly a huge part of the role is the tall, dark haired, blue eyed look of Superman that immediately keeps the viewers from being distracted and allows them to begin to take interest in the ensuing plot.Routh in a better movie= :-)

57. Mrs Wilde says:

Tom Welling is too girly. Henry is a super – hunk!

58. Ciara says:

I feel bad for Brandon! Superman Returns was flawed and yes, it felt like a tribute to the Christopher Reeve movies but he was well cast in the role! he acted it well and he 100% looked the part!… they could have done with a far better Lois Lane, Kate Bosworth was dreadful. I like Henry Cavill he's just not superman in my eyes, Superman's a classically handsome kinda fella not a costume drama stubbley type! eh, as long as they don't fall into the trap of making him "dark" they have my support

59. Zorro-el says:

Henry Cavill IS Superman.

There's no better choice for the role.