March 07, 2014 | 8:30 a.m.
“Star Wars” fans let out a collective howl of anguish last year when it was announced that one of the casualties of Disney’s purchase of Lucasfilm was the animated series “Star Wars: The Clone Wars.” The fan-favorite series was canceled without a satisfactory conclusion, yanked from the schedule of Cartoon Network, where it had aired since 2008. That ultimately made way for a new series, “Star Wars Rebels,” set to premiere on the Disney Channel before moving to Disney XD. So, when word came that the final 13 episodes of the show’s sixth season would become available to fans on Netflix, the news was met with good cheer. As of Friday, viewers can check out “The Lost Missions,” which will join the previous five seasons on the streaming video service, including some director’s cuts of those earlier episodes. “The Lost […]
Oct. 12, 2013 | 3:09 p.m.
Say hello to the Inquisitor. “Star Wars Rebels” executive producer Dave Filoni introduced the first new character from the upcoming animated series in a video appearance at New York Comic Con on Saturday, and he’s quite the fearsome-looking foe. But the image of the villain isn’t the only new artwork available from the show that is set to pick up the “Star Wars” animated mantle from “Star Wars: The Clone Wars,” which aired on Cartoon Network but was canceled earlier this year. Hero Complex is pleased to debut an exclusive piece of concept art featuring some spacecraft that will look familiar to any fan. Check it out below. Set 14 years after “Star Wars: Episode III — Revenge of the Sith,” “Star Wars Rebels” will center on a core group of characters — with the Inquisitor serving as a major […]
Aug. 23, 2013 | 2:20 p.m.
“Star Wars” cinematographer Gilbert Taylor died Friday at the age of 99, leaving behind a rich cinematic legacy. His wife told the BBC that Taylor died at his home on the Isle of Wight. Over the course of an impressive, decades-long career, Taylor amassed a lengthy résumé that included a number of landmark films, including Roman Polanski’s “Repulsion,” Stanley Kubrick’s “Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb” and Alfred Hitchcock’s “Frenzy.” He also served as the cinematographer on the Beatles’ film “A Hard Day’s Night,” Richard Donner’s horror film “The Omen” and 1979′s “Dracula” starring Frank Langella and Laurence Olivier, in addition to working with George Lucas on the original “Star Wars” film. Lucas and Taylor didn’t always see eye to eye on the set of the production. “George avoided all meetings and contact […]
July 09, 2013 | 2:27 p.m.
The documentary “Trek Nation” chronicles Rod Roddenberry’s personal journey to explore the importance of the legendary sci-fi franchise dreamed up by his father Gene. The film comes to DVD on Tuesday, and among the bonus materials included in the release is an interview with “Star Wars” creator George Lucas talking about the important role “Star Trek” played in paving the way for his own space opera. “‘Star Trek’ softened up the entertainment arena so that ‘Star Wars’ could come along and stand on its shoulders,” Lucas said in an interview — Hero Complex readers can check out a clip from the conversation above. A number of other genre luminaries, Stan Lee and J.J. Abrams among them, speak on camera about the legacy of “Star Trek” on the double disc DVD, which also includes home movies from the Roddenberry estate and […]
May 04, 2013 | 9:08 a.m.
“Star Wars” fans have dubbed May 4 as “‘Star Wars’ Day” (as in “May the fourth be with you…”), and Hero Complex is celebrating with a look to the future of pop culture’s favorite space saga. Disney announced last month it will release a new “Star Wars” film every year beginning in 2015 with “Episode VII,” the first installment in a planned trilogy. In between those movies, Disney is releasing two standalone “Star Wars” films not part of the overall saga, penned by Simon Kinberg and “The Empire Strikes Back” scribe Lawrence Kasdan. “I’m trying to start fresh,” Kasdan told Hero Complex in February. “There are certain pleasures that we think the saga can bring to people that they’ve been missing, and we’re hoping to bring them that, and at the same time, have them feel that it’s all new.” […]
April 17, 2013 | 12:00 p.m.
Richard LeParmentier, who played Admiral Motti in “Star Wars,” died Tuesday. He was 66. The Pittsburgh-born character actor appeared in more than 50 films and television shows, including Norman Jewison’s 1975 film “Rollerball,” Warren Beatty’s 1981 drama “Reds,” the 1983 James Bond movie “Octopussy” and Richard Lester’s 1980 superhero sequel “Superman II,” in which he played a reporter. But it was his turn in George Lucas’ landmark space opera that perhaps was his greatest claim to fame. In one of the many memorable scenes aboard the Death Star, Motti takes a haughty tone with Darth Vader, suggesting he not try to frighten the commanders with his “sorcerer’s ways.” He then launches into a derisive speech criticizing Vader’s inability to conjure up the stolen data tapes with the plans for the space station or the location of the rebels’ secret stronghold. […]
April 11, 2013 | 12:04 p.m.
Harrison Ford is out on the promotion trail, talking up his role in the new Jackie Robinson baseball movie “42.” But what everyone really wants to discuss is his possible return as Han Solo in the new “Star Wars” movie. Everyone except Harrison Ford, that is. The star, who’s reportedly set to reprise his landmark role as the heroic cad, either doesn’t know much about his participation in “Episode VII” at this early date or he’s not allowed to share details. In any case, he’s opted to deflect “Star Wars” questions not with polite demurrals or stone-faced silence, but rather a grandfatherly sense of befuddlement. Witness how Ford handled David Letterman on Wednesday. Letterman, who uses confusion himself in order to draw answers out of his guests, met his match in Ford when the subject of “Star Wars” was raised. […]
March 07, 2013 | 9:45 a.m.
Carrie Fisher has said “yes,” she will reprise her role as Princess Leia in “Episode VII” of the “Star Wars” franchise. Now, George Lucas says that, months ago, Fisher, Mark Hamill and Harrison Ford were in “final negotiations” to return. They’d “already signed,” he told Bloomberg in an article published Thursday, or were “pretty much in final stages” of negotiations. Then, Lucas stopped short, seeming to fear he’d spoiled the surprise. There’s probably a plan to break the news with “some big whoop-de-do,” he said. Fisher hasn’t been shy with the news, though. “Yes,” she told Palm Beach Illustrated, she will reprise her role. When asked what Princess Leia is like today, she replied with a laugh that she’s in an “intergalactic old folks’ home.” In late January, as reported in Hero Complex, news broke that J.J. Abrams was set […]
Feb. 07, 2013 | 1:47 p.m.
Legendary Hollywood makeup man Stuart Freeborn, who created some of the most memorable characters ever in science fiction including Yoda in the “Star Wars” films and the ape men of Stanley Kubrick’s “2001: A Space Odyssey,” has died at the age of 98. Freeborn’s daughter, Michelle, told the Associated Press that the legendary makeup man died in London from a combination of ailments due to his age. In a statement, “Star Wars” creator George Lucas said, “Stuart was already a makeup legend when he started on ‘Star Wars.’ He brought with him not only decades of experience, but boundless creative energy. His artistry and craftsmanship will live on forever in the characters he created. His ‘Star Wars’ creatures may be reinterpreted in new forms by new generations, but at their heart, they continue to be what Stuart created for the […]
Jan. 28, 2013 | 6:32 p.m.
The Millennium Falcon is changing course. Now that “Star Wars” has a new studio home, a new movie in the works and a new director, other adjustments are in store for the franchise: Lucasfilm is postponing this fall’s scheduled 3-D re-release of “Star Wars: Episode II — Attack of The Clones” and “Episode III — Revenge of the Sith.” “Given the recent development that we are moving forward with a new ‘Star Wars’ trilogy we will now focus 100% of our efforts on ‘Star Wars: Episode VII’ in order to ensure the best possible experience for our fans,” Lucasfilm said in a statement. “We will post further information about our 3D release plans at a later date.” The changed plans don’t come as a huge surprise — last year’s 3-D re-release of “Star Wars: Episode I — The Phantom Menace” grossed […]