March 07, 2013 | 9:45 a.m.
Carrie Fisher has said “yes,” she will reprise her role as Princess Leia in “Episode VII” of the “Star Wars” franchise. Now, George Lucas says that, months ago, Fisher, Mark Hamill and Harrison Ford were in “final negotiations” to return. They’d “already signed,” he told Bloomberg in an article published Thursday, or were “pretty much in final stages” of negotiations. Then, Lucas stopped short, seeming to fear he’d spoiled the surprise. There’s probably a plan to break the news with “some big whoop-de-do,” he said. Fisher hasn’t been shy with the news, though. “Yes,” she told Palm Beach Illustrated, she will reprise her role. When asked what Princess Leia is like today, she replied with a laugh that she’s in an “intergalactic old folks’ home.” In late January, as reported in Hero Complex, news broke that J.J. Abrams was set […]
Feb. 07, 2013 | 1:47 p.m.
Legendary Hollywood makeup man Stuart Freeborn, who created some of the most memorable characters ever in science fiction including Yoda in the “Star Wars” films and the ape men of Stanley Kubrick’s “2001: A Space Odyssey,” has died at the age of 98. Freeborn’s daughter, Michelle, told the Associated Press that the legendary makeup man died in London from a combination of ailments due to his age. In a statement, “Star Wars” creator George Lucas said, “Stuart was already a makeup legend when he started on ‘Star Wars.’ He brought with him not only decades of experience, but boundless creative energy. His artistry and craftsmanship will live on forever in the characters he created. His ‘Star Wars’ creatures may be reinterpreted in new forms by new generations, but at their heart, they continue to be what Stuart created for the […]
Jan. 28, 2013 | 6:32 p.m.
The Millennium Falcon is changing course. Now that “Star Wars” has a new studio home, a new movie in the works and a new director, other adjustments are in store for the franchise: Lucasfilm is postponing this fall’s scheduled 3-D re-release of “Star Wars: Episode II — Attack of The Clones” and “Episode III — Revenge of the Sith.” “Given the recent development that we are moving forward with a new ‘Star Wars’ trilogy we will now focus 100% of our efforts on ‘Star Wars: Episode VII’ in order to ensure the best possible experience for our fans,” Lucasfilm said in a statement. “We will post further information about our 3D release plans at a later date.” The changed plans don’t come as a huge surprise — last year’s 3-D re-release of “Star Wars: Episode I — The Phantom Menace” grossed […]
Jan. 26, 2013 | 12:02 a.m.
The news might have broken Thursday afternoon that J.J. Abrams would direct the latest installment of the “Star Wars” movie franchise, but Disney and Lucasfilm finally confirmed his selection late on Friday. “It’s very exciting to have J.J. aboard leading the charge as we set off to make a new ‘Star Wars’ movie,” Lucasfilm chief Kathleen Kennedy said in a statement issued late in the day. “J.J. is the perfect director to helm this. Beyond having such great instincts as a filmmaker, he has an intuitive understanding of this franchise. He understands the essence of the ‘Star Wars’ experience, and will bring that talent to create an unforgettable motion picture.” George Lucas went on to say in a release, “I’ve consistently been impressed with J.J. as a filmmaker and storyteller. He’s an ideal choice to direct the new ‘Star Wars’ […]
Jan. 24, 2013 | 2:04 p.m.
J.J. Abrams is set to direct “Episode VII.” Sources have confirmed the “Star Trek Into Darkness” filmmaker will helm the next “Star Wars” movie, the highly anticipated installment in the landmark franchise scheduled to reach theaters in 2015. PHOTOS: ‘Star Wars’ at the box office [Updated: 10:30 a.m. Jan. 25]: The news first broke on The Wrap website Thursday afternoon. Abrams, who previously had denied that he would be involved with the project, is now in a position of creative control over the two most beloved franchises in the science-fiction universe: “Star Wars” and “Star Trek.” Abrams rebooted “Star Trek” for the big screen in 2009 to much acclaim and rousing boxoffice receipts, with the film collecting upwards of $385 million. His follow-up, “Star Trek Into Darkness,” is due in theaters May 17. His decision to direct a “Star Wars” […]
Jan. 15, 2013 | 1:51 p.m.
Another day, another mystery about a director possibly signing on to be a part of the “Star Wars” universe. New York Magazine’s Vulture blog first reported that Zack Snyder had plans to make a “Seven Samurai”-inspired story set in a galaxy far, far away, but hours later, Snyder’s rep contradicted the story in The Hollywood Reporter, saying that the “Man of Steel” filmmaker had no such plans to develop a stand-alone Jedi epic for Lucasfilm loosely inspired by Akira Kurosawa’s 1954 classic. “While he is super-flattered because he is a huge fan, Zack is not involved in any way with the new ‘Star Wars,'” his rep told The Hollywood Reporter. “He is currently in post on his two films, ‘Man of Steel’ and ‘300: Battle of Artemisia.'” Vulture, however, has posted an update to its original story, stating that despite […]
Nov. 09, 2012 | 7:10 p.m.
Michael Arndt, the Oscar-winning screenwriter of “Little Miss Sunshine” and “Toy Story 3,” has been hired to write the script for the next “Star Wars” film, Lucasfilm confirmed today. The news comes one day after reports surfaced that Arndt had written a lengthy treatment for the next three “Star Wars” movies and was a favorite to land the opportunity to pen the next installment in the landmark space opera. The upcoming trilogy, the first episode of which is scheduled to reach theaters in 2015, was announced Oct. 30 when the Walt Disney Co. went public with its plans to acquire Lucasfilm for $4.05 billion. PHOTOS: ‘Star Wars’ at the box office George Lucas will serve as a “creative consultant” on the three films, but has no plans to write or direct. Speculation has been rampant about who might take the […]
Nov. 08, 2012 | 6:29 p.m.
There have been a lot of huge, jaw-dropping announcements in the “Star Wars” universe lately, so why not one more? David Tennant, known to a lot of people as the 10th Doctor on the long-running BBC series “Doctor Who,” is about to make his debut in the “Star Wars” universe. Tennant will lend his voice to this Saturday’s episode of “Star Wars: The Clone Wars” on Cartoon Network, playing Huyang, a droid who works for the Jedis, overseeing the construction of lightsabers. PHOTOS: Meet the characters from ‘Star Wars: The Clone Wars’ And this isn’t just a one-shot deal. The character will appear in the two subsequent episodes following this weekend’s debut. According to “Clone Wars” supervising director, Dave Filoni, once he learned that Tennant was a big fan of “Star Wars,” he knew he needed to get “The Doctor” […]
Oct. 30, 2012 | 3:22 p.m.
In an interview with The Times in 2008, George Lucas said that his personal connection to the “Star Wars” saga ended with the Ewoks on Endor. “There really isn’t any story to tell there,” the filmmaker said at the time of prospects for his participation in the movie life of the franchise beyond the tale-concluding events in “Return of the Jedi.” “I get asked all the time, ‘What happens after “Return of the Jedi”?,’ and there really is no answer for that,” Lucas continued. “The movies were the story of Anakin Skywalker and Luke Skywalker, and when Luke saves the galaxy and redeems his father, that’s where that story ends.” PHOTOS: ‘Star Wars’ at the box office The Walt Disney Co. announced today that it’s agreed to acquire Lucasfilm for $4.05 billion, and word quickly followed that there are plans […]
Oct. 30, 2012 | 1:21 p.m.
“Star Wars: Episode 7″? It’s happening according to a news release just issued by the Walt Disney Co., which just announced its acquisition of Lucasfilm. The new film is targeted to open in 2015, with Lucasfilm’s Kathleen Kennedy serving as executive producer and George Lucas serving as creative consultant, the release said. PHOTOS: ‘Star Wars’ at the box office Additional feature films are expected to “continue the ‘Star Wars’ saga and grow the franchise well into the future,” the statement said. [Updated: Three new movies, Lucas won’t write or direct] – Gina McIntyre Follow us on Twitter: @LATHeroComplex RECENT AND RELATED: ‘The Clone Wars’ brings the Dark Side to Saturdays ‘Star Wars: Clone Wars’ panel converts a fan on site Comic-Con: Lightsaber relay brings the Force When George Lucas wasn’t feeling The Force Saturn Awards honor Dexter’s dad, Yoda’s voice What if Darth Vader was […]