Lucasfilm

Feb. 13, 2014 | 6:04 a.m.

‘Star Wars: The Clone Wars’ final season premieres on Netflix March 7

"The Clone Wars." (Lucasfilm)
The sixth and final season of the “Star Wars” animated series “The Clone Wars” is coming to Netflix. Subscribers in the U.S. and Canada will be able to watch the final 13 episodes of the popular show, dubbed “The Lost Season,” beginning March 7. “The Clone Wars” aired on Cartoon Network but was canceled last year to make way for a new series, “Star Wars Rebels,” which will premiere on the Disney Channel in the fall before airing regularly on Disney XD. In addition to “The Lost Season,” Netflix also will make available the entirety of “The Clone Wars’” first five seasons, including several director’s-cut episodes not previously seen on television, in addition to the “Clone Wars” feature film. PHOTOS: ‘Star Wars’ at the box office “’Star Wars’ is one of the most iconic franchises of all time and this […]
Jan. 03, 2014 | 11:21 a.m.

‘Star Wars’ comics leaving Dark Horse, returning to Marvel in 2015

"Star Wars" No. 6 (featured image)
Marvel will publish new “Star Wars” comic books beginning in 2015, the company announced Friday. The agreement between Lucasfilm and Marvel, both owned by the Walt Disney Co., kicks off the same year Disney will release a new “Star Wars” film, J. J. Abrams’ highly anticipated “Episode VII.” “The perennial brand of ‘Star Wars’ is one of the most iconic in entertainment history,” said Marvel Worldwide’s publisher and President Dan Buckley in a news release. “We are honored to have the opportunity to bring our creative talent pool to continue, and expand ‘Star Wars’ into galaxies far, far away.” The deal marks the franchise’s homecoming after more than 20 years away from Marvel, which published the first “Star Wars” comics beginning in 1977 with the official movie adaptation by Roy Thomas and Howard Chaykin, followed by some off-kilter stories that introduced […]
Oct. 12, 2013 | 3:09 p.m.

‘Star Wars Rebels’: Dave Filoni reveals the Inquisitor, talks up series at NYCC

The Inquisitor is the new bad guy from the animated series "Star Wars Rebels." (Lucasfilm).
Say hello to the Inquisitor. “Star Wars Rebels” executive producer Dave Filoni introduced the first new character from the upcoming animated series in a video appearance at New York Comic Con on Saturday, and he’s quite the fearsome-looking foe. But the image of the villain isn’t the only new artwork available from the show that is set to pick up the “Star Wars” animated mantle from “Star Wars: The Clone Wars,” which aired on Cartoon Network but was canceled earlier this year. Hero Complex is pleased to debut an exclusive piece of concept art featuring some spacecraft that will look familiar to any fan. Check it out below. Set 14 years after “Star Wars: Episode III — Revenge of the Sith,” “Star Wars Rebels” will center on a core group of characters — with the Inquisitor serving as a major […]
July 22, 2013 | 8:30 p.m.

J.J. Abrams not dropping out of ‘Star Wars’ sequel, Lucasfilm says

J.J. Abrams (featured image)
J.J. Abrams is not dropping out of the next “Star Wars” film, contrary to certain online reports. “There is no truth to the rumor,” Lucasfilm said in a statement issued Monday. “J.J. is having a great time working on the script and is looking forward to going into production next year.” “Star Wars: Episode VII” will be written by Michael Arndt, the Oscar-winning screenwriter of “Little Miss Sunshine” and “Toy Story 3,” and will be shot at England’s historic Pinewood Shepperton Studios. Disney, which acquired Lucasfilm last year, announced in April it will release a new “Star Wars” film every year beginning in 2015 with “Episode VII,” the first installment in a planned trilogy. George Lucas will serve as a “creative consultant” on those three films, but has no plans to write or direct. In an interview with Hero Complex […]
June 27, 2013 | 5:19 p.m.

Comic-Con: Celebs to don ‘Star Wars’ costumes for lightsaber relay

Costumed participants in the 2012 Course of the Force relay. (Lucasfilm)
“Glee” star Chris Colfer and model Adrianne Curry will be among a dozen celebrities donning “Star Wars” costumes and joining the legion of runners in this year’s Course of the Force, a lightsaber relay leading up to Comic-Con International in San Diego. Thousands are expected to participate in the Course of the Force, an Olympic-style relay launched last year by Lucasfilm and Nerdist Industries to benefit the Make-A-Wish Foundation. This year’s relay kicks off July 9 at Skywalker Ranch, north of San Francisco, and follows the coast some 500 miles down to San Diego. (Last year’s 136-mile run began in Santa Monica.) The relay ends in San Diego on July 16, in time for Comic-Con International, which runs July 17-21 at the city’s waterfront convention center, drawing more than 130,000 professionals and enthusiasts in the realms of sci-fi, fantasy, video games, […]
June 10, 2013 | 5:06 p.m.

E3 2013: ‘Star Wars: Battlefront’ confirmed by Electronic Arts

Electronic Arts studio DICE is working on a new "Star Wars: Battlefront" game. (DICE / Electronic Arts)
The “Star Wars” series is getting another shooter. On Monday, Electronic Arts revealed that it is at work on “Star Wars: Battlefront” for next-gen consoles, teasing the title with a brief 34-second trailer that had the gaming press erupting in cheers. The clip, which debuted at the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles as part of the Electronic Entertainment Expo, features an AT-AT, the four-legged armored vehicle made famous in “Star Wars: Episode V — The Empire Strikes Back,” crushing a ship it had been pursuing. The game is the first announced as part of a recent multi-year, multi-title licensing agreement between Electronic Arts and Disney. PHOTOS: Scenes from E3 2013 Shortly after Disney acquired Lucasfilm for $4.05 billion in October. the latter said it would no longer develop games in-house under the LucasArts banner. “After evaluating our position in the games […]
Feb. 07, 2013 | 1:47 p.m.

‘Star Wars’: Stuart Freeborn, the makeup artist behind Yoda, dies

The Yoda puppet used in "Empire Strikes Back" and "Return of the Jedi." (Stephen Osman / Los Angeles Times)
Legendary Hollywood makeup man Stuart Freeborn, who created some of the most memorable characters ever in science fiction including Yoda in the “Star Wars” films and the ape men of Stanley Kubrick’s “2001: A Space Odyssey,” has died at the age of 98. Freeborn’s daughter, Michelle, told the Associated Press that the legendary makeup man died in London from a combination of ailments due to his age. In a statement, “Star Wars” creator George Lucas said, “Stuart was already a makeup legend when he started on ‘Star Wars.’ He brought with him not only decades of experience, but boundless creative energy. His artistry and craftsmanship will live on forever in the characters he created. His ‘Star Wars’ creatures may be reinterpreted in new forms by new generations, but at their heart, they continue to be what Stuart created for the […]
Jan. 24, 2013 | 2:04 p.m.

J.J. Abrams set to direct ‘Star Wars: Episode VII’

J.J. Abrams (featured image)
J.J. Abrams is set to direct “Episode VII.” Sources have confirmed the “Star Trek Into Darkness” filmmaker will helm the next “Star Wars” movie, the highly anticipated installment in the landmark franchise scheduled to reach theaters in 2015. PHOTOS: ‘Star Wars’ at the box office [Updated: 10:30 a.m. Jan. 25]: The news first broke on The Wrap website Thursday afternoon. Abrams, who previously had denied that he would be involved with the project, is now in a position of creative control over the two most beloved franchises in the science-fiction universe: “Star Wars” and “Star Trek.” Abrams rebooted “Star Trek” for the big screen in 2009 to much acclaim and rousing boxoffice receipts, with the film collecting upwards of $385 million. His follow-up, “Star Trek Into Darkness,” is due in theaters May 17. His decision to direct a “Star Wars” […]
Oct. 30, 2012 | 1:21 p.m.

‘Star Wars’: New feature film set for 2015

'Star Wars' (featured image)
“Star Wars: Episode 7″? It’s happening according to a news release just issued by the Walt Disney Co., which just announced its acquisition of Lucasfilm. The new film is targeted  to open in 2015, with Lucasfilm’s Kathleen Kennedy serving as executive producer and George Lucas serving as creative consultant, the release said. PHOTOS: ‘Star Wars’ at the box office Additional feature films are expected to “continue the ‘Star Wars’ saga and grow the franchise well into the future,” the statement said. [Updated: Three new movies, Lucas won’t write or direct] – Gina McIntyre Follow us on Twitter: @LATHeroComplex RECENT AND RELATED: ‘The Clone Wars’ brings the Dark Side to Saturdays ‘Star Wars: Clone Wars’ panel converts a fan on site Comic-Con: Lightsaber relay brings the Force When George Lucas wasn’t feeling The Force Saturn Awards honor Dexter’s dad, Yoda’s voice What if Darth Vader was […]
April 12, 2012 | 11:07 a.m.

‘Darth Vader and Son’: What if ‘Star Wars’ villain was good dad?

Darth Vader and Son (featured image)
What if Darth Vader had been around for Luke Skywalker’s childhood — not as a distant threat, but as a loving and devoted father? That’s the concept behind “Darth Vader and Son,” a new book from comic artist and writer Jeffrey Brown. The book reimagines the Dark Lord of the Sith parenting an adorable 4-year-old, his days filled with potty breaks, Lego, bicycle riding and bedtime stories. Brown, the author of “Clumsy” and “Bighead,” chatted with Hero Complex about the book, “Star Wars” and fatherhood. HC: How did this idea come about? JB: I got a phone call from Ryan Germick at Google, and he works as one of the homepage designers. Sometimes, for holidays, they’ll have an outside artist or someone do a drawing. And the idea he and a coworker had come up with was wanting to do […]
Close
E-mail It
Powered by ShareThis