June 20, 2014 | 12:47 p.m.
Rian Johnson is set to take the reins of the “Star Wars” franchise. The “Looper” filmmaker will write and direct “Star Wars: Episode VIII” and pen a treatment for “Episode IX,” a representative for Johnson confirmed to Hero Complex. Johnson takes over for J.J. Abrams, who is currently helming “Episode VII” from a script he wrote with Lawrence Kasdan. A representative for Disney, which owns Lucasfilm, declined to comment on the news of Johnson’s hiring. Johnson’s previous films include the high-school noir “Brick” and the caper comedy “The Brothers Bloom,” and he’s best known for the mind-bending time-travel thriller “Looper,” starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Bruce Willis. The 2012 movie grossed $176 million at the worldwide box office. Johnson, 40, is the latest genre-savvy young filmmaker to join the “Star Wars” universe: “Godzilla” director Gareth Edwards and “Chronicle” director Josh Trank have also been enlisted to direct two “Star Wars” standalone movies. Abrams’ […]
June 19, 2014 | 12:55 p.m.
Contrary to the initial reports that he had suffered a broken ankle on the set of “Star Wars: Episode VII” last week, Harrison Ford actually broke his leg in the accident. “Harrison Ford’s left leg was broken in an accident. His surgery was successful and he will begin rehab shortly. He’s doing well and looks forward to returning to work,” Ford’s publicist said in a statement. PHOTOS: Injuries on the set There is no word yet on whether this will affect the initial timetable of the eight weeks Ford was expected to miss from shooting while he recovers. Reprising his role as the dashing antihero Han Solo in J.J. Abrams’ upcoming film, Ford was injured in a mishap with the door of the Millennium Falcon, Solo’s iconic spaceship, last week and taken to a local hospital. Filming is to continue […]
June 16, 2014 | 10:29 a.m.
Harrison Ford might as well be frozen in carbonite. The “Star Wars: Episode VII” star is expected to miss up to eight weeks of filming after breaking his ankle on the set of the space opera, according to a report by the Mirror. Ford, who is reprising his role as the swashbuckling antihero Han Solo in J.J. Abrams’ upcoming film, was taken to a local hospital last week to treat his injury, which was caused by the door of the Millennium Falcon, Solo’s iconic spaceship. Filming is to continue in Ford’s absence, with a cast that includes fellow “Star Wars” veterans Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, Anthony Daniels, Peter Mayhew and Kenny Baker. They’re joined by franchise newcomers Adam Driver, Oscar Isaac, John Boyega, Daisy Ridley, Domhnall Gleeson, Andy Serkis, Max von Sydow, Lupita Nyong’o and Gwendoline Christie. PHOTOS: Injuries on the set According to the Mirror, […]
June 11, 2014 | 11:36 a.m.
Electronic Arts studio DICE is best known for its “Battlefield” games, titles that have sought to hone the video game art of humans destroying other humans. Today, however, the Stockholm-based studio is deep into the development of some of its most ambitious projects in its decade-plus existence, including a new “Star Wars” game, and studio principal Karl Magnus Troedsson says the company is starting to grapple with bigger topics. In working on a sequel to its 2008 game “Mirror’s Edge,” a futuristic thriller in which its female protagonist Faith is always on the run, DICE is using the time away from its multiplayer-focused “Battlefield” to create a more character-driven-story. “DICE is perhaps not that well known for games with a strong character. In ‘Battlefield,’ it’s usually a bunch of guys. Multiplayer has very little focus on character,” says Troedsson, DICE’s VP and group general manager. “We are very intrigued with […]
June 09, 2014 | 3:31 p.m.
A new trailer for the long anticipated “Star Wars: Battlefront 3″ finally arrived Monday during a video presentation during Electronic Arts’ Electronic Entertainment Expo news conference held at the Shrine Auditorium & Expo Hall in Los Angeles. The video (see above) features an inside look detailing the effort put forth by programmers and artists from Stockholm-based game developer DICE in crafting the latest big-budget “Star Wars” game. The EA-backed crew traveled to the Lucas Cultural Arts Museum to get an up-close look at the props used in the movies — including speeder bikes and blasters, as well as R2-D2. They then headed to the original movie locations to, as DICE’s Niklas Fegraeus states in the voice-over, “not just capture the environments, but the emotions they evoke as well.” The trailer shows little in the way of actual gameplay, relying heavily […]
June 04, 2014 | 1:15 p.m.
When Han Solo returns to the silver screen in “Star Wars: Episode VII” late next year, it looks as if he’ll still be able to make the Kessel Run in 12 parsecs. Responding to a series of leaked photos from the set of the next installment in the “Star Wars” series, director J.J. Abrams might have confirmed the appearance of the Millennium Falcon in the 2015 blockbuster. “I wish people would stop leaking photos from Episode VII and making ridiculous claims that the Millennium Falcon is in the movie,” tweeted Abrams from the account for his “Bad Robot” film company on Wednesday morning. pic.twitter.com/wQYfaVtwFU — Bad Robot (@bad_robot) June 4, 2014 Except the note was sitting atop the holo-chess board from the inside of the Falcon. The game board is the site of a near-clash between Chewbacca and R2-D2 in […]
June 04, 2014 | 10:16 a.m.
Josh Trank is set to join “Godzilla” filmmaker Gareth Edwards as a new recruit to the “Star Wars” universe. Trank will direct one of the multiple standalone movies that Disney plans to release that will explore the world created by George Lucas outside of the primary episodes of the franchise. Lucasfilm announced Trank’s selection Wednesday, but revealed no details about the film’s story line. It’s been a busy time in the “Star Wars” universe. Earlier last month, Edwards, who enjoyed a blockbuster success with his big-budget “Godzilla” reboot, was tapped to helm another of the “Star Wars” standalone projects, which will be written by Gary Witta (“The Book of Eli,” Telltale Games’ adaptation of “The Walking Dead”). Also in May, J.J. Abrams’ “Star Wars: Episode VII,” scheduled to arrive in theaters Dec. 18, 2015, officially went into production, with a cast […]
May 22, 2014 | 10:28 p.m.
“Godzilla” director Gareth Edwards will helm the first of the upcoming series of standalone films set in the “Star Wars” universe, set for release Dec. 16, 2016. Lucasfilm announced Edwards’ selection Thursday in a statement, which also revealed that Gary Whitta (“The Book of Eli,” Telltale Games’ adaptation of “The Walking Dead”) will pen the script. The new film will explore territory beyond the core saga, but details for now are being kept under wraps. Edwards’ Hollywood ascendancy has been remarkable. “Godzilla,” which stomped into the multiplex to record-setting grosses this month, was only his second film — his first, 2010’s “Monsters,” he wrote and directed himself and paid for partly with his own savings. But he aspired to give the big-budget movie the same poignancy as the crowd-pleasing sci-fi cinema that initially inspired him, the late 1970s and early […]
May 21, 2014 | 5:55 p.m.
Want to appear as a Wookiee in “Star Wars: Episode VII”? Today, “Star Wars: Episode VII” director J.J. Abrams announced that a walk-on role for a member of the general public has been created and will be raffled off to benefit the charity UNICEF. Maybe you won’t be Chewbacca’s distant cousin, but you’ll be on camera, guaranteed (mostly… more on that in a moment). In a video shot on the film’s set in Abu Dhabi, Abrams explains how the guest turn will work: “You get to come to London, where we’re shooting the movie mostly at Pinewood Studios… You’ll get to meet the cast, go behind the scenes, and see the whole movie-making process. But more than that, we’ll put you in hair, makeup and wardrobe, and you’ll actually get to be in the movie.” Unless your part ends up on the cutting […]
May 16, 2014 | 9:59 a.m.
“Star Wars: Episode VII” has gone into production, and a photo to celebrate the occasion arrived overnight via Twitter on the Bad Robot account. The highly anticipated film is being directed by J.J. Abrams, with a cast that includes Adam Driver, best known for his role in HBO’s “Girls,” and Oscar Isaac, who won considerable acclaim for his turn in the Coen brothers’ “Inside Llewyn Davis,” as well as John Boyega, known for his work in the fan favorite film “Attack the Block,” and newcomer Daisy Ridley. #dayone pic.twitter.com/18jtSH7xYM — Bad Robot (@bad_robot) May 16, 2014 Irish actor Domhnall Gleeson, performance capture expert Andy Serkis and venerable Swedish thespian Max von Sydow are also set to star alongside the principal actors from George Lucas’ original saga — Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill, Anthony Daniels, Peter Mayhew and Kenny Baker — who will […]