‘Doctor Who’ filming begins, Peter Capaldi takes the TARDIS reins

Jan. 07, 2014 | 4:42 p.m.
Peter Capaldi as the Doctor and Jenna Coleman as Clara Oswald on the set of "Doctor Who." (Adrian Rogers / BBC)

Peter Capaldi as the Doctor and Jenna Coleman as Clara Oswald on the set of “Doctor Who.” (Adrian Rogers / BBC)

Filming has begun on the new season of “Doctor Who,” starring Peter Capaldi as the show’s eponymous time traveler.

Capaldi, who took over as the Doctor from Matt Smith in last year’s Christmas special, “The Time of the Doctor,” is shown donning Smith’s purple tweed frock coat and waistcoat, though no bow tie, in a newly released photo from the film’s set (check it out above).

“New job, first day, slightly nervous,” Capaldi said in a BBC news release. “Just like the Doctor, I’m emerging from the TARDIS into a whole other world.”

Although the Scottish actor, best known for his role as a foul-mouthed government official in the political comedy “The Thick of It,” has appeared as a minor character in a previous “Doctor Who” episode (“The Fires of Pompeii”) and in “Torchwood” miniseries spinoff “Children of Earth,” Capaldi made his debut as the Doctor in a brief scene in November’s 50th anniversary special, “The Day of the Doctor,” or at least his eyes and forehead did.

“First the eyebrows! Then, at Christmas, the face! Coming soon, the whole Doctor,” joked lead writer and executive producer Steven Moffat in the news release. “In the Cardiff studios, the Capaldi era begins.”

When he made his official entrance in the Christmas special, Capaldi’s newly regenerated Doctor declared, “Kidneys! I’ve got new kidneys! I don’t like the color.” Then, realizing the TARDIS was crashing, he asked traveling companion Clara Oswald (Jenna Coleman), “Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

A cliffhanger introduction to be sure, and many critics are hopeful that Capaldi’s tenure will restore some gravitas to the ever-regenerating character.

“He offers a range of new tonal possibilities, some of which are also old possibilities. Indeed, if you look back across the whole life of the series, Capaldi seems very much in the tradition — a likely, almost obvious choice,” writes Times television critic Robert Lloyd. “He has the authority, the madness, the sweetness. … It may be time for the return of a more fatherly, or at least more fatherly-looking, Doctor.”

What do you think of Capaldi’s debut? Let us know in the comments.

– Noelene Clark | @NoeleneClark | Google+

"Doctor Who" star Matt Smith. “I think what he brought back to the role is the absolute nuttiness of the Doctor,” Moffat said. “Matt’s Doctor is basically insane. You put him in a normal situation, and you realize he’s an absolute lunatic.” (Al Seib / Los Angeles Times)‘Doctor Who’: For Matt Smith, it’s been a ‘nutty’ ride

‘Doctor Who’: 10 extraordinary Matt Smith moments

On ‘Doctor Who,’ it’s ‘Time’ to change the Doctor

‘Doctor Who’: Tennant, Piper in anniversary video

‘Doctor Who’ casting: ‘You know it when you see it’

‘Doctor Who’ 50th anniversary hype

Peter Capaldi: A return to distinguished tradition?

‘Who’: Jenna Coleman is right in time

Moffat reveals new Doctor’s audition scripts

Comic-Con bids Matt Smith farewell

‘Doctor Who’ finale: The mystery of Clara

ESSAY: A love letter to ‘Doctor Who’

Comments

22 Responses to ‘Doctor Who’ filming begins, Peter Capaldi takes the TARDIS reins

1. kukumo says:

can;’t wait!

2. Art Kraus says:

It will be interesting to see the new dynamic between the Doctor and Clara. There were hints of "boyfriend-girlfriend" with Matt Smith. I wonder how quickly it will change to "father-child", or perhaps a William Hartnellian "grandfather-granddaughter" relationship with Mr Capaldi – hopefully without getting creepy.

3. Art Kraus says:

Also, when will his first episode air?

4. Antonia says:

For me the last two Doctors have acted well but have lacked an understanding, or feel, for the moment that I would expect a 1000 year old person to have. I'm hoping for great things from Capaldi.

5. Dan Goldzband says:

Been enjoying Capaldi since Local Hero. Loved Smith and Tenant, but it will be nice to have an older doctor. Geronimo!

6. Rick says:

I like this actor taking Matt Smiths place as the Doctor but going to an older man to do The Doctor in this day and age was a bad move. Since Eccelston the more younger the doctors were the better the shows got. I never thought they would never get a doctor as good and funny and serious as Eccelston but David Tennat was great and so was Mat Smith. Going to an older gentleman after that Tardis Threesome will not gain popularity. Again , not cut on the new doctor, he is a good actor, not just for this, so no disrespect is meant towards him. I hope the people in charge look quickly for a replacement, they will need one and I think soon.

• logan5 says:

I cant believe some of the tosh youre writing and am guessing you have only been and i use this phrase lightly a fan for a short time or youre about 12 either way in my oppinion its time to get back to the show the way it was meant to be for the real fans who have watched EVERY EPISODE and saw how every doctor brought something to the show not just for teenagers who want a pinup and only watch it because hes a hottie which are not real fans and remember its the real fans who kept up the websites demanding it to return and so it brings me to peter capaldi who will let us know why the time lords are so feared and as moffet said its time to let the old dog snarl hes going to be amazing and if you cant handle an older doctor youre not a fan so go watch something else you wont be missed

• therealme776 says:

I understand where you’re coming from…to a degree. What’re the immortal words of the great American Rodney King? “Can’t we all just get along!?” Young, older…doesn’t matter. It’s been a wonderful run since ’05 and I have no doubt it’s going to continue to be that way, just as it was up to ’95. To two of your points, Doctor Who was initially produced for children as I’m sure you know, so doesn’t that mean a twelve year old child’s opinion matters when discussing the Whoniverse? Secondly, and probably most importantly, I’d think Moff may disagree when you say anyone leaving Doctor Who would not be missed. Without all of us out here cheering on the Doctor I’d guess he may just run out of regenerations.

• Nicholas says:

Wow, that is one major run on sentence, dude. By the looks of it, you too are less than ripe in years. Either that, or you just never paid attention in school. Either way, I wouldn't judge someone when you yourself seem unwilling to speak coherently. I do concede some of your points, though. It was definitely a good decision to cast Capaldi (presumably), and I really can't wait to see what his presence and performance do to the effect of the show.

7. E Fitzpatrick says:

Love the new actor. Perfect choice.

8. molly says:

I was so sad when Tom Baker left. I am now equally sad to see Matt Smith go. These two have become my all time favorites.

9. cadavra says:

For those of us of a certain age, the Doctor is supposed to be a cranky old guy (preferably in a scarf), not some nerd who feels like a companion, and Capaldi is just what, ahem, The Doctor ordered. Now if only they'll do a few alternate takes for the blooper reel where he goes full Malcolm Tucker, I'll be a happy man.

• Rose Tyler says:

I really hope you weren’t just offending Matt Smith or David Tennant. Just because they weren’t Tom Baker doesn’t mean they werent completely fantastic. It’s sort of sad how you think that. Every Doctor is different, and they’re not all going to be like the first ones, but they’re all amazing in the end. Whining about “nerds who feel more like companions” isn’t going to change anything. It’s just the era we’re in right now. I’m sorry you feel this way, but most of the fanbase doesnt like old, cranky guys. They like young, energetic, fun, and occasionally attractive people, so BBCA will do whatever it can to get more fans. Not saying it’s fair, but it’s the way it goes, and nothing is gonna change that.

• theartisticpackrat says:

There are a lot in the fanbase who like older and maybe even crankier Doctors. Don't generalize.

• @WWEnd says:

Indeed, Tom Baker was himself criticized for being so much younger than the previous three Doctors. The more things change, the more they stay the same…

10. T. Lawson says:

I think whoever plays the doctor will be interesting. However I am curious about an episode with the 10th doctor, David Tennant. The show ended with two doctors, one alien (with 2 hearts) and one human (with 1 heart) a dream come true for Rose Tyler, who got him in the end. Might this ever be addressed in the future??

11. Edward says:

I'm looking forward to a "Darker Doctor". It will be interesting to watch how the Peter Capaldi incarnation develops

• @felix81674 says:

I'm not sure he'll be darker, exactly. The character that first appears in the transformation kind of resembles the Professor from Back to the Future. in his intensity and zaniness. I think that's what we're going to wind up with.

12. F. Mann says:

New to Dr. Who. I kinda started backwards with Torchwood, then watched every Dr. Who episode I could find. Luckily I have a brother who's a true Whovian. He's been watching for 40 years and has taped every episode played for the past 20 some odd years. So I know what I'll be doing on my vacation to Florida lol
    I loved Tom Baker. David Tennant is my favorite Dr. I can't wait to see what kind of Dr. Peter Capaldi turns out to be.
    I also cannot believe that the show I used to tease and torment my little brother for watching is now one I cannot get enough of. And I'm in my 50's !

13. Dave says:

Moffat said recently that Capaldi's Doctor will be grumpy and difficult to get along with. He also said he looks forward to writing for a character that younger viewers will be scared of.

So I guess "darker" would be a good word to describe where he is looking to take Dr. Who.I think most of the fan favorite episodes of the restart years 2005 to present are always the creepiest shows. To be honest the silly shows in the last few years are always a let down for me. Those years also had some damn good shows.

14. sassy300 says:

Moffat is an idiot who has turned the Doctor into this pathetic joke of a character. The Doctor used to be heroic. Now, he's this stupid buffoon who doesn't Pretend to be stupid like the Doctors of old did. He really IS stupid.
    There haven't been many good stories in the last 3 years. They are either bogged down with Matt's mugging and the stories slap-dash approach where the fix at the end generally comes out of No-Where! Those are always the worst types of stories.
    And River Song! GROSS! She is a gross, creepy sociopath! But a super-creep like Moffat LOVES HER, (obsessively) and really rammed her down everyone's throat throughout season 6! I started hating that sick gross character back in Season 5! She is super creepy! river is no hero. She was willing to let the WHOLE UNIVERSE (IN THE SHOW) Die, rather than let ONE MAN, THE DOCTOR DIE. Some scary losers have said that is a sign of great love. Uh, No! It's a sign of super creepy idiots with NO COMMON SENSE! also It is typical of those who don't believe in God or an afterlife. So like fools, they CLING obsessively to this life. If I was married and someone was asking him to choose between me and a dozen people? HE BETTER CHOSE THOSE DOZEN PEOPLE! MY SOUL IS PREPARED! So those who call her sick obsessive stalking of the Dr "Love" are probably in jail or will soon be. Or they're just insane. Same with those who call that cold-blooded killer a hero. Those fools have NO CLUE what a hero even is. And I don't buy into the "Shades of Gray" nonsense either. That's for idiots.
    Moffat's stories are silly! Not scary! Those calling his laughable stuff "scary" must have the mental and emotional maturity of a 5 yr old child. His stories make me laugh! I've talked to young people in their teens and 20's and they do NOT find them scary at all. And they even like some of them in spite of this.
    Moffat HAS driven away lots of fans. With his stupid, super-silly over-the-top storylines which are only fit for 5 yr old children. Well storyline. The dialogue at times is WAY TOO mature for children to be watching. I've gained lots of new members on my Facebook page. So have lot's of other Dr Who Facebook pages which "Dare" to criticize him. I had a few losers join just to tell me that my page should be illegal. Even though, there are no threats of any kind allowed. We just talk about how awful his writing is. But that is the typical psychotic loser mentality of the Far-Left! Which is where most of Moffat's fan-base comes from.

15. fiona ting says: