Flash may get his own show on CW; ‘Arrow’ will introduce DC hero

July 30, 2013 | 1:53 p.m.
The scarlet speedster makes his New 52 debut in "The Flash" No. 1. (Brian Buccellato / Dc Entertainment)

The scarlet speedster makes his New 52 debut in “The Flash” No. 1. (Francis Manapul / DC Entertainment)

The Flash may be getting his own TV show, the CW announced Tuesday at the Television Critics Assn.’s summer press tour.

The CW will introduce the Flash during the second season of “Arrow” before giving the scarlet speedster his own drama series, aptly named “Flash.”

“We plan to introduce a recurring character [on “Arrow”] and an origin story for Dr. Barry Allen, who you know as The Flash,” said CW president Mark Pedowitz. “We’ll see how it goes. Hopefully it will go well. We do want to expand upon the DC Universe. We think that there are rich characters that we can use and we thought this was a very organic way to get there.”

The Flash, the lightning-quick DC hero, first appeared in comics in 1940 and became a member of the Justice League of America. (“Arrow” producers have hinted that other Justice League members, like Wonder Woman, Batman, Superman, Aquaman and Green Lantern, might appear in the show.)

The back-door pilot will be directed by David Nutter and written by “Arrow” co-creators Greg Berlanti and Andrew Kreisberg, as well as comic writer and DC Entertainment chief creative officer Geoff Johns, who cites the Flash as his favorite character, Pedowitz said. Berlanti and Kreisberg will helm “Flash” should the series move forward. Casting is underway.

It won’t be the Flash’s first foray into live-action television. John Wesley Shipp played the hero in the short-lived CBS series “The Flash,” which ran for one season in 1990. It’s unclear how the character’s return to television will affect Warner Bros.’ reported plans for a Flash movie, to be written by Berlanti, Johns, Marc Guggenheim, Chris Brancato and Michael Green.

Unfortunately for Wonder Woman fans, the fast-tracking of “Flash” means “Amazon” is being put on hold. The network has been developing a pilot, written by Aron Eli Coleite (“Heroes,” “Ultimate X-Men” comics), about teenaged Diana, but the CW is putting its focus on fast-tracking “Flash” while the kinks with “Amazon” are ironed out, Pedowitz said.

Superheroes are proving a boon for the CW. “Smallville,” the Superman prequel series that ran for 10 seasons, garnered devoted fan support, and “Arrow” was a breakout hit for the network.

Will you tune in for “Flash”? Let us know in the comments.

– Noelene Clark and Yvonne Villarreal | @LATHeroComplex

Circa 1976: Lynda Carter as Wonder Woman in "The New Adventures of Wonder Woman." (CBS/Los Angeles Times archives)‘Wonder Woman’ on TV? Is she the ‘trickiest’ hero?

Wonder Woman: Time for a movie

Warner Bros.: Flash has solid script

‘Shazam!’ When superheroes weren’t cool

Wonder Woman still a feminist flashpoint

Beyonce as Wonder Woman?

Wonder Woman gets new origin (but still no film)

‘Wonder Woman’ show canceled; fans react

‘Wonder Woman’ producer David E. Kelley: ‘It’s way out of my comfort zone’

Comments

17 Responses to Flash may get his own show on CW; ‘Arrow’ will introduce DC hero

1. Plums says:

I loved the 90's series of the flash and if they can be faithful to the original character and not change up his origin and character to much then i am definitly ready for Flash

2. Lee Roberts says:

Why wasn't this announced at Comic-Con during the Arrow panel?

3. Andrew Findley says:

The Flash has long been one of my favorite superheroes. I liked the 1990-91 CBS series (and have it on DVD), so I'm cautiously optimistic about Barry Allen returning to television (and heading to the movies, as well, apparently). If it's done well, I'll be a big fan. With Geoff Johns on board, I have high hopes.

4. @TheMockingJ says:

As long as it's done well and stays true to the character, I'm all for this. I don't want him to be another "wears a hoodie" hero though – they can modify his outfit but gotta have the lightning bolt, the boots…the mask. He's gotta be THE FLASH. Not just a guy with super speed.

5. Bruce Wayne says:

I definitely would! I’m glad The CW is expanding the DC Universe on the small screen. Arrow catapulted Green Arrow into one of my top favorite superheroes of all time. I’m looking forward to seeing the Scarlet Speedster in action soon. I have 2 casting suggestions to play Barry Allen: Michael Rosenbaum who has voiced Flash numerous times before, and Knight Rider’s Justin Bruening. Most of all I’m anxiously awaiting the arrival of Batman to the series.

• Cory says:

Yes, but keep in mind my friend. Michael Rosenbaum voiced "Wally West" not Barry Allen, who is Barry's apprentice nephew KID FLASH in Barry's hoodie soviet-type speedster suit. That was Wally not Barry. Now Wally West is dead.

6. ktmjonb says:

Yes, I definitely would. I am glad that CW is taking a chance on the other DC characters. I am looking forward to seeing the Flash on television.

7. Ticked Off says:

This is SICKENING!!!!!!!!! Wonder Woman always gets screwed over. You can't even get a school binder of the Justice League with her on it much less a TV series or movie. I was in the Target store this morning and spotted a school folder and some binders of JLA and on them was of course Superman, Batman, NO WONDER WOMAN, and Flash & Green Lantern. WTF gives?? I HATE DC COMICS & WARNER BROS for their poor treatment of what I thought was one of the big 3 in the Justice League. She can't even make a school folder. May they rott! I am convined they would give the chance at a movie or TV show to the most bottom of the barrel stupid hero over Wonder Woman. They all suck!

8. @dadarocks says:

Loved the flash in the 90's… But I agree with the other comments he needs to be a hero with an outfit not a sweatsuit hoodie. He needs a doctor helping him learn his powers. I think that's what man the 90's series work. I would like for this character to be mid 20's first or second job in the force maybe post an injury that he then found himself riding the csi desk.

9. guest says:

I am also glad to see flash coming back on tv. I was wondering though. Would it be better for them to use Wally instead of Barry Allen. Reason i say that is because they used the barry allen charcater in smallville and the continuing 11th season comic books. I also read that the man of steel may make an appearance. Which one? The new man of steel, tom welling (smallville) or some new superman that has nothing to do with either. And if they do use smallville superman how would they tie it in. I can't wait until season 2 gets going, i am tired of having no superhero series on to watch. LETS GO DC MARVEL IS LEAVING YOU BEHIND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. bart allen says:

uh yea flash is my favorite and i've been waiting for people to gather around his awesomeness!!!

11. Stew Nelson Show says:

i actually recently wrote a song about "the Flash"…

12. Jose says:

I loved the 90's version of the Flash and hope that the latest incarnation of the Scarlet Speedster lives up to it's predecessor. Flash and Green Lantern were always favorites of mine. CW already has a hit series in "Arrow" and I hope Flash does just as well.

Ben Affleck as Batman ? Oh, nooo – but hey, I am one of the few who liked Daredevil so go figure!

13. bob lones says:

I do not at all like the idea of flash on arrow!!!!! :[ its a disaster waiting to happen!! :[

14. Cory says:

I miss Wally West, the funniest and bravest light-hearted Flash used for the Justice League Animated series, 1990s comics, and video games, created in 1959 #110 by Canadian comic book creators John Broome and Carmine Infantino. Wally was the embodiment of The Flash throughout the whole 1990s decade. The Flash started to lose it's panache after they killed Wally and his adventures.

15. Cory says: