‘Game of Thrones’ star Sean Bean: ‘Mel Gibson is a good man’

April 09, 2011 | 5:35 p.m.
game of thrones sean bean Game of Thrones star Sean Bean: Mel Gibson is a good man

Sean Bean in "Game of Thrones" (Nick Briggs/HBO)

Game of Thrones” and “Lord of the Rings” star Sean Bean is a big fan of “Braveheart” and, more than that, he sees a noble heart in Mel Gibson, that award-winning film’s troubled star and director.

“People say this and that, but Mel Gibson is a good man. He’s always been a good man,” the 51-year-old British actor said during a recent visit to Los Angeles. “He’s had longevity and he’s had this and he’s had that. He’s prepared to put his money where his mouth is and he’s come out with these wonderful things. Even the people that didn’t like him had to say, ‘That’s brilliant.’”

Bean has a flair for playing hard-edged men – in HBO’s “Game of Thrones,” which premieres April 18, he plays Eddard Stark, a lord who has dark forces conspiring against him in the medieval fantasy setting — and his real life has rough edges of its own. Married and divorced four times, Bean has come to the attention of police and the tabloid press during especially heated moments in his relationships.

Bean said Gibson’s achievements with 1995′s “Braveheart,” which won the Oscar for best picture and director, and the wildly lucrative 2004 film “The Passion of the Christ” show him to be an actor and filmmaker for the ages. “With ‘Passion,’ to do something that powerful where all the churches, all the denominations in the world, and they all have say, ‘That’s pretty good, Mel.’ That’s amazing to think about. They don’t like him over here much these days, I know, but I say he’s a good man.”

– Geoff Boucher

game of thrones rr Game of Thrones star Sean Bean: Mel Gibson is a good man

‘Game of Thrones’ is epic with a different ring

Mel Gibson: Viking film may be my last

“Game of Thrones” stars on a quest

HBO has royal hopes for “Thrones”

Winter is coming…

Five reasons to watch “Game of Thrones”

Cheat Sheet: ‘Game of Thrones’

Can “The Hobbit” escape the Rings shadow?

24 FRAMES: Gibson reflects on ”Braveheart,” “Mad Max”

Mel Gibson: The shadow in his smile

Comments

26 Responses to ‘Game of Thrones’ star Sean Bean: ‘Mel Gibson is a good man’

1. Ann says:

I agree–Mel is a good man who has helped many, many people in his lifetime. It is so sad to see people rip him apart at what has to be the worst time of his life. Thanks to Sean Bean for having the courage to say something positive.

2. Sonia says:

Love that Mel. He will reign forever.

3. Sophie says:

Sean Bean is correct. I'm not Christian, but I found The Passion of the Christ an extremely compelling film. Braveheart is a classic that basically defined the genre, and nothing can take that away. Mel Gibson's personal life and character are separate from his professional achievements, which are truly stupendous. I have no illusions about other "great" filmmakers and the nature of their characters, etc. They have just been able to keep a lid on it. And to have Sean Bean and Jodie Foster on his side should offer food for thought.

4. John says:

Sean Bean is a really men ! He is cool that he's support Mel in a difficult time!

5. George Jackson says:

I agree, Hollywood will forgive ANYTHING but that…what gives?

6. Sidney Reilly says:

Thanks Sean for saying in the paper what the rest of us would like to say, Mel is a good man.

7. Jed says:

Sean Bean speaks the truth. The Millions of fans around the world know that Mel is a good man.
    The biased media only print the bad stuff, because they never allow the Truth to get in the way of a good story.
    Sean Bean is wrong by saying Mel is not liked much over here. Sorry Sean, but Mel Gibson is one of the most popular actors and directors in Europe. We don't make such a big deal of someone's private life as the American's do.

• Miles says:

According to the article, Sean Bean was in Los Angeles when he made that statement about Mel Gibson not being liked much over here (here referring to LA). So, I read that to mean that Gibson is not well-liked in America (California) and not Europe.

I think Gibson is super talented, and his movies (in roles both in front of and behind the camera) show his brilliance. His rants (when inebriated) are fairly typical of those by other alcohol-affected people.

What is interesting is how many people, when drunk, talk about issues that annoy Zionists. Could it be that, allowed to exercise their free will and free speech, drunk or otherwise, many people will say things that will piss off Zionists?

Btw, absolutely love Sean Bean. I would like to see him in a lead role in some blockbluster movie!

8. Wpadick says:

Yeah, all he did was beat his wife. Big deal.

• Sophie says:

All Roman Polanski did was rape a girl, no one seems to be down on him (except the LA County DA).

• jnw says:

Read up a little before you you repeat what you've heard about someone you don't know….

• Sophie says:

RP and those who like to find any excuse for his repulsive behavior, whether or not it conformed to the letter of the law on rape, DISGUST me. The victim apparently believed it to be so at the time. RP is specifically the person I had in mind when I said I have no illusions about "great" filmmakers' characters.

9. RnRLosAngeles says:

It's a shame that people have to focus on this Mel's struggles rather than the fact that he is an amazing filmmaker.

10. Ginger says:

Way to go Sean. I have always liked him and I have always liked Mel. I think there are plenty of us that realize the way that the biased media and Hollywood hypocrites have tried to destroy Mel. It seems that Mel has a lot of people in his corner – people that know him and know he is a good hearted person. I for one will support his films and hope the best for him.

11. ivyleaves says:

Not too sure what that says about men. He may be a good actor, and a great director, but a good man, a decent person? No.

12. MLR says:

Both actors have their share of controversy. if the biography The Emperor And The Wolf can be believed Toshiro Mifune went to his grave biter from the belief that people paid more attention to his Marriages, his Busines ventures and his buttocks than to his acting ability. Even the Greatest Actors are Mortal Men but it demeans both them and their art to only focus on feet of clay. I think it is possible for a Troubled Man to be a Good Man as well.

13. francine says:

The circus of sensationalism and tendentious chorus of media condemnation surrounding Mel Gibson is both unprecedented and undeserved. Encouraging to see that Sean Bean is not just another fickle and hypocritical Hollywood poltroon who is ready to throw Mel under the bus to advance his own career.

14. vicky says:

Mel Gibson is a good actor and a great director. I have always loved his rendition of Hamlet. But he is a man who has refused to come fully to terms with the fact that he is a raging alcoholic. All of his problems stem from drink. He's brought it on himself. He needs to find his spiritual core and get himself right with God and be honest with his problem with alcohol if he ever wants to come back. And I believe that he can come back.

15. Sam says:

I think Mel Gibson is a truly legendary actor of my generation which in itself is rare when in comparison to all the greats that came out of the 50's – 60's of the Hollywood area. Mel in a weakened state spoke his mind. As politically incorrect as his statements were at the time; I would hope that "WE" could move on and let the man go back to acting and directing films. His fanbase is loyal but HOLLYWOOD – LA is filled with vengeful men and yes alot of those men are of a certain religion who took offense to what Mel said and may never forgive him. Are they refusing to forgive him for what he said, OR are they refusing to look past a movie he made that retold a truth we have all been told is how a certain event went down.
    I'm not the most religious person in the world and "ThePassion" didn't make me want to blame the Jewish people for the crucifying of Christ. Christ died for the sins of man. It was predetermined.
    I hope Mel's next movie blows away the critics and rakes in a big payday. Then maybe the man can go back to doing what he does best.

16. guest says:

Yeah, he is a great man. A great man who happens to hate jews.

17. Katie says:

Mel 'is' a good man, I know this because I know him personally. He's been hosed over by so many, and the drink has led him to publicly humiliate himself and others. The media absolutely despise Mel, and would do anything to make Mel look bad, so if he can help them along a little then they have pretty much won the lottery on the 'news article' front. To tackle an earlier commnet – Mel didn't beat anyone, he had an altercation with the mother of his child during a heated argument whilst she was holding their child – the details should be between him & Oksana (despite Oksana going against court orders and letting every man and his dog know the nitty gritty). The media would have everyone believe that he raped & pillaged a small town if they could! But that would only slightly overstep their boundaries! I think what Sean Bean has said is brave and truthful. It's no secret that Mel has said some offensive things, but then look at all of the well known & respectable people that stick up for him..there is a reason for that. If you don't know him then who are you to make snide remarks & 'completely' judge otherwise. He may know how to be an idiot! But he's not a bad person.

18. matt says:

I beat my wife too, does that make me a good man?

19. Karl says:

Yeah what? A good man? Seriously Sean? You disappoint me.

20. Lori says:

Since none of us are without sin, do not personally know all of these people, and weren't present at each of these events, who are we to judge? I often see both good and bad in a person I come to know. As a person with Jewish ancestors, I am offended by any racial comments. As the family member of an alcoholic, I understand the absolute worst behavior they can display. Should we judge a person's talent or contribution in other ways to humanity by the inappropriate behavior along the way? I think not. If we judge their entire life with condemnation because we witnessed or heard of their lapse in behavior, will we also be judged accordingly? Hopefully, Mel will get to therapy, AA, and start over. Everyone needs to start over once in awhile. If you think you are above that, take a harder look at your own life. BTW, Love you, Sean. And Game of Thrones was excellent!

• Steve says:

Here Here. Best comment of the bunch.

Perhaps it somehow makes people feel better about their own problems ("at least I'm not quite the monster as…") or perhaps it comes from jealousy from not being as successful. Either way, I think it is a shallow and prideful reaction to judge Mr. Gibson or anyone largely based on a handful of media stories/publicized events.

Regardless of how well Bean knows Gibson personally, at least he is showing a little self-restraint and compassion, which, in my opinion, is a sorely lacking counterpoint in this whole mess.

What ever creed you belong to, "Judge not lest ye be judged" is a good motto to live by.

21. Dave says:

I see the Thrones big reveal of Howland Reed to be a perfect relaunch of Gibson's career. Who better to play the mysterious, critically important, caring father of Jojen and Meera – and best friend to Ned Stark, than Mel Gibson. Call me crazy but I think it'd be cool as hell.