‘Merlin’ actors talk legendary roles, series’ epic conclusion

Jan. 01, 2013 | 7:00 a.m.

Colin Morgan plays Merlin, left, and Bradley James plays Arthur in "Merlin." (BBC / Syfy)

Merlin (Colin Morgan), Princess Mithian (Janet Montgomery) and Morgana (Katie McGrath) in "Merlin." (BBC / Syfy)

Katie McGrath as Morgana, left, and Terence Maynard as Helios in "Merlin." (Nick Briggs / Syfy)

BBC’s fantasy adventure “Merlin” cast its final spell in England over Christmas with a heartbreaking two-part finale that brought to a grand conclusion a series whose popularity rivals “Doctor Who” — the show drew about 7 million viewers each episode in the U.K., compared with around 1.7 million per episode in the U.S.

For fans on this side of the Atlantic, though, it’s only the beginning of the end for the epic tale.

The fifth and final season of the series, which traces the evolution of the relationship between young wizard Merlin (Colin Morgan) and future king Arthur Pendragon (Bradley James) in a realm where magic has been outlawed, premieres Friday on Syfy.

Much in the way “Smallville” updated the story of Superman, “Merlin” brings fresh life and contemporary resonance to iconic characters from English myth.

Hero Complex caught up with James and Katie McGrath, who plays the witch Morgana, to talk about the wizardry “Merlin’s” creators, Johnny Capps and Julian Murphy, conjured over the years. The actors revealed what it was like to inhabit those legendary roles and how it felt to finally say goodbye to Camelot.

HC: Word came in late November that Season 5 would be “Merlin’s” last. Did you know in advance the series was drawing to a close?

KM: The producers had a five-year plan. They always had plotted out the story lines for five series and the character arcs so we knew a good bit before everyone else [that the end was coming], and we feel very lucky to tell the story properly as it was intended.

HC: Is it daunting to play characters that are so mythic and beloved?
KM: Especially when you’re here in England. The Arthurian legend is something that’s so close to everybody’s hearts here, and you do feel a responsibility when playing these roles, that you do them justice. I really think the last five years has done the Arthurian legend proud. I think we’ve told the story, we’ve told a new spin on it, we’ve brought it in touch with a whole new generation of people who might not have known about this, and I think that’s a very special thing to be a part of.

HC: How familiar were you both with the legends of King Arthur before you took on these roles?

BJ: I knew quite a bit about them before hand, but I learned even more afterward, just through taking an interest in the subject. I saw myself reading things I would’ve never come across otherwise and learning so much about the darkness within the stories. They go a lot deeper than we could ever dare to go on our time slot on the BBC. That’s been a fascinating part of it — learning so much about the legend.

HC: Bradley, Arthur begins the series as arrogant, unlikable. Can you describe the process of taking the character from that initial place to where we find him in Season 5?

BJ: One of the really appealing things about Arthur was the fact that he was far from perfect, and I was aware that I was about to go on the journey of making him so. He becomes the Arthur that everyone is familiar with in myth and legend eventually, and where we begin with him, that seems like such an impossible task. It was a huge honor to play King Arthur because he means so much to the heritage in this country, albeit, legend but to be linked with that name and that legend has been a huge honor.

HC: Katie, what can we expect from Morgana in Season 5? A darker incarnation of the character?

Katie McGrath as Morgana in "Merlin." (BBC / Syfy)

Katie McGrath as Morgana in “Merlin.” (BBC / Syfy)

KM: Damn right. It’s about time. She wasn’t dark enough in Season 4. Season 5, let’s push it even more. She’s got a baby dragon now, you know, so who knows what she’s going to do?

HC: Will she have a similar relationship with the baby dragon as Merlin has with the Great Dragon?

KM: I think it’s difficult because the baby dragon is actually a small dragon and doesn’t have the wealth of knowledge and wisdom that obviously the Great Dragon does. I think there is that same bond there, and I think actually it’s more of a dependent bond than what Merlin has with the Great Dragon. It’s similar, but unique to her.

HC: Will Morgana find redemption?

KM: I don’t need to find redemption. I don’t think she thinks that she’s doing anything wrong. I think Morgana believes that she’s fighting for freedom for people like her, so I don’t think she needs redemption.

HC: Many of your fans would agree. Although Merlin is the protagonist and Arthur becomes this great egalitarian leader, some of your fans believe they’re fighting on the wrong side. And that even though Morgana’s methods are evil, her cause is just.

BJ: She can spin whatever yarn she wants. Arthur effectively is trying to create a kingdom which can never be replicated, in a way. It’s something that many people throughout history have tried to re-create the ideas and practices of Arthur because he got it right. It’s just unfortunate that he had this psychotic evil sister. [laughs]

HC: You’ve spent so much time on set together. I imagine that you’re all pretty good friends by now.

BJ: It’s been a huge bonus to the show. I feel very fortunate to have worked with the cast that we’ve had, because they’ve been great to spend five years of my life with. I have many fond memories of them all.

KM: I have fond memories of them all too, except for Bradley, who makes fun of my accent.

HC: Bradley, where do you find inspiration for the relationship between Arthur and Merlin? It’s a great bromance.

BJ: I find inspiration with Colin. We have a lot of fun working together. I’ve been very fortunate that we’ve had such a great working relationship that it’s translated onto the screen. Because he’s been a big part of the show, we’ve had to work together so much. We’ve had a lot of scenes to do, and it’s made them enjoyable, so inspiration comes from hanging out together ’cause we have a laugh.

Colin Morgan plays Merlin, left, and Bradley James plays Arthur in “Merlin.” (BBC / Syfy)

HC: Can you share a little about your last day on set?

KM: My last day on set was very emotional, I had Colin come in and do my last clapboard. It was like a carnivorous beast running in and grabbing the board out of everyone’s hands. It was a good laugh.

BJ: I share the same sign of the zodiac as Arthur. We’re both Libras, and so I was able to look at the last day with a very balanced view, because at the same time as being a quite emotional time, there was quite a lot of work to do on the last day, and so you had to not let that get in the way…. But underlying all of that, if I watch the scenes back, I’ll see that kind of emotional side to me that was very present that day.

HC: Why do you think the show has become so popular both in England and now overseas?

KM: I think it’s got mass appeal. It deals with issues that cross cultural boundaries — the idea of accepting who you are and making friends is something that everybody can deal with. I know it’s a show about magic and things like that, but at the heart of it, it’s just a story about people trying to be the people they’re supposed to be.

Merlin (Colin Morgan), Princess Mithian (Janet Montgomery) and Morgana (Katie McGrath) in “Merlin.” (BBC / Syfy)

HC: Now that “Merlin” has reached its conclusion, what’s next for you as actors?

KM: Sky’s the limit, really. Who knows where we’re going to go. I think “Merlin” has opened up a lot of doors for us that I don’t think we necessarily would have had.

HC: Bradley, there have been rumors about an Arthur spinoff. Is that something you’d be interested in?

BJ: It was something discussed, but I think it’s time for me to hang up the chain mail, to be honest with you, and pass the mantle on to the next person who shall take on the throne of Arthur Pendragon. The post-”Merlin” era is an exciting time to look forward to…. Variety is the spice of life. That’s the fantastic thing about acting is all the different challenges it can provide you with. To limit yourself just to one would be foolish, therefore I’m looking forward to different things that come my way.

– Noelene Clark
Twitter.com/@NoeleneClark

PHOTOS: 60 images from ‘The Hobbit’

‘Merlin’: Getting darker, staying light

‘Merlin’ looks for new magic in the U.S.

Stephen Hunter on Bombur’s blubber

Fili actor Dean O’Gorman talks sexy dwarfs

Andy Serkis: It was difficult to return to Gollum

Hair designer Peter King on dwarfs’ yak wigs

Sylvester McCoy’s loves: Radagast, ‘Doctor Who’

Costume designer’s favorite look? Radagast

Tami Lane on dwarf wrangling, silicone magic

PHOTOS: Meet the dwarfs from ‘The Hobbit’

Comments

77 Responses to ‘Merlin’ actors talk legendary roles, series’ epic conclusion

1. Merveille says:

Colin Morgan isn't just such a big part of the show. He is the biggest part of the show since he plays th leading role: Merlin.

• opio gregory says:

The last scene on season five in the very last episode shows Merlin walking by a huge long trailer on a very modern road. To me, it meant modern Britain (Camelot). Do you have any idea that season 6 may be in the offing? It appears so. In Uganda, we are eagerly waiting for it should it ever be there but if not, it will mark a big disappointment to Merlin fans especially here in Uganda.

2. Victoria says:

I'm looking forward to watching season 5 on SyFy. The writing on the show is off-and-on. However, the synergy of the cast makes up for it, particularly between James and Morgan.

3. Lily says:

You interviewed Bradley James… Not some dude named Colin Bradley. How about you fix that typo? >_<

4. Rosemary says:

The caption for the first photo incorrectly says the part of Arthur Pendragon is played by Colin Bradley. The part is played by Bradley James.

5. Marc says:

Morgana is a beloved character in the Arthurian Legend????? Bar in The AU of "The Mists of Avalon", this character has always been a loathsome monster! Yeah Katie, no need of redemption for being a slave driver, for sadistically torturing, murdering and starving innocent women, children and chained prisonners, that was fighting for freedom! Enslaving people is fighting for freedom! Such brilliant message for the young audience, thumbs up Katie McGrath! Btw, please Miss McGrath grant yourself and the audience a favor and attend a drama school, no more disastrous acting on screen.

6. SandraL says:

Marc, chill. Seriously.

First, Morgana/Morgaine/Morgan is *not* always a monster in the classic tales. She wasn't even a villain, originally. In many versions, there is a reconciliation between her and Arthur before his death. She was one of the maidens who bore his body to Avalon after he was fatally wounded.

Second, Katie McGrath's defense of Morgana is part of her acting style. Evil people rarely see themselves as evil, and they shouldn't be played as if they think they are. While I think McGrath has quite a ways to go as an actress, in this matter I think she's absolutely right.

• Victoria says:

@SandraL

While I think Marc was a bit harsh, Katie McGrath is being a little disingenuous in saying that Morgana believes she is a freedom fighter. Morgana at the end of season 3 had guards fire into a crowd of spectators and had people starved at the end of season 4. She didn't that in a misguided attempt to bring magic to the land but because she felt like it.

7. skip griffin says:

Loved the show and am sad to see it go but happy there is one more final season. We do have another Merlin in America with more bells ans whistles but this is my fav and i will continue to watch the reruns.

8. murtala salisu says:

hi its really impressive. i really like yu morgana becouse you wonderful.

9. wanda wells says:

Every good show that comes on TV they close it out. Put some junk on. Wished they would let this show continue…

10. It's a British/Celtic myth not an English one as the Britons were at war with the invading Saxons later to become the English.

• Corinne Muhlbach says:

It's beloved by the Welsh and the English cultures in it's different forms and plays a big part in the cultural backgrounds of both. The historical facts don't matter as much as the legends and what they stand for. The Welsh ARE Celts with a long, rich, Celtic culture and a very different language of their own. Merlin is thought of as particularly Welsh and Arthur is claimed by both. One of the few things both cultures share.

11. JEMIMA FOSU says:

can't wait for the final ooooo the king must go and take his throne

12. @PeppesXe says:

Katie is a good actress What are you talking about?

13. dawn says:

please use uk and not england, arthur was and is an important part of Welsh mythology, he helped stem the flow of invaders (who became the english) Love the series but dislike how Welsh mythology has been misrepresented to make Arthur an English king. Especially when the series was made with the help of BBC wales and filmed in Wales

14. @PeppesXe says:

Katie Mcgrath is a good actress. What are you talking about?

15. gayle says:

Great wee interview except the constant references to England and not the UK and the locations of the original Merlin.
    Bradley and Katie cracked me up with their responses and I hope to see them all (especially Colin Morgan) on the big screen. They are all wonderfully talented. Love the cast and I'm going to miss them like crazy. Here's hoping they come back for Comic Relief in some way.

16. Nim says:

Wonderful show, you have a lot to look forward too! Katie is wonderful in it and very scary, she plays the part just right. Love all the characters but especially Colin Morgan -he has given Northern Ireland someone else to be proud of and will hopefully continue to shine!!

17. faithugbechie says:

I can,t wait to watch season 5 of Merlin

18. monique himan says:

after a heroic 5 years, the epic magical drama just end, this is the one of those rare tv shows that i would gladly & love to watch over again & again! Colin Morgan is a great actor, so as all the cast of merlin….maybe they deserve an award that they ought to be!

19. gayle says:

20. COLINMORGANadmirer says:

Will you post/print an interview of Colin Morgan who plays the main character of the show? I'd love to read his thoughts about his title character Merlin and about the last season. He is the one who played the leading role and the sotries of the show are told through Merlin's point of view. So Colin Morgan's insights should be the greatest and more interesting to read. Thanks.

21. Terrible Ten Horn says:

I know the actors have to sell the show, by pretending that the show was drawing to a previously-planned ending. They're doing the best they can… but I'm not buying it. The series finale was absolutely disastrous. They crammed a season's worth of story arc into one episode.

The epic battle between Merlin and Morgana might as well have had Merlin poking her a thumbtack, for all the intensity it lacked. The pacing was horrible. The dragon's statement about Arthur makes no sense at all. And the semi-truck is perhaps the most asinine scene in any show, ever.

I pray that they include the real Season 5 finale on the DVD/Blu-Ray – even if it doesn't "finish" the story.

I used to say that Merlin was my favorite show. Now I say "Merlin was my favorite show… until I watched the last episode."

• Michele says:

I couldn't agree more! A complete disappointment! Makes no sense! Why would they do that! I could have written a better ending.

22. @abrazilian says:

No teaser alert.. just gonna say that Season 5 was awesome… I love this show – so sad to see it end and I am really hoping they make a movie/trilogy – we need more shows like Merlin and Legends of the Seeker – can never have too many wizards!

23. Sara says:

Um, in Katie's defense, she has no acting background whatsoever, and Merlin, therefore, is her first acting experience. In interviews, she even says most of the time she didn't know what she was doing on set, and made a lot of stuff up. As you can obviously tell, she progressed greatly from the first couple of seasons, but her character is completely "evil." You can't do much with an evil role when magic is involved, and you're not the most powerful character of the show.

24. Nara says:

in England, in England, in England…. I live in the U.K and I watch Merlin but I am WELSH, not ENGLISH. There is a difference between England and the U.K. Anyway, good interview. Series 5 is brilliant.

25. Marc says:

Wow, so much hate, Marc. You'd give Morgana a run for her money.

And if you've been watching the last two series, you'd see Katie's gotten very much better and I think she'd done Morgana justice with what she's given.

• Rosemary says:

"If you've been watching the show since S1, you'd see Morgana's main motive for turning are the numerous innocent people who've been executed because of the ban on magic. She may have turned psychotic and lost her way, but what Katie's saying is very logical. "

I disagree.

Morgana is too willing to kill/hurt innocent people, with or without magic. She's not motivated by innocent people executed for magic, but her Daddy issues. Uther refused to acknowledge her in the middle of the third season. /since then her ambition has been to take the crown of Camelot and kill Uther and punish/kill Arthur because Uther liked him best. She also goes after Gwen because of a vision of Gwen wearing 'her' crown.

26. Kathryn says:

Bawled my eyes out when I watched the Finale. At first I hated the ending, but after a while I came to accept it. Season 4 is still my favorite!!!! Wish all of the actors the very best in future endeavours!

27. Julia says:

NO! All this time and its over! :'(

28. wonderful show, it really teach me alot.can’,t wait for more and i wish i was on this show.

29. CelticWolf says:

Legend doesn t portray Guinevere as a woman of color, she was quite pale in complexion actually.

30. Richard Blake says:

Have to say, I love the passion of the comments! I feel Katie did great work…I really wanted strangle Morgana…but remember Anthony Head's great stint as her "guardian"? Could his character have been any more evil and heartless-she was her fathers daughter!! Great show-I have watched the final season online here in the U.S. and enjoyed it thoroughly. I must agree that the story arc was very crimped in the end but still good stuff.

31. Henry says:

Shakespeare move over. Americans appreciate BBC and entertainment from the Island! We live in a period where human values are more important now then ever before in the USA. US needs to recoil to the simple and free values of the Middle English era of England. It was England, Scotland and Wales that taught the US how to fine tune democracy back then and through Merlin we are learning again we can be that nation. Thank you!

32. GaTravlr says:

I've seen the final. No spoilers, but I think everyone who has enjoyed Merlin up to this point needs to watch every scene of every episode in season 5. It's all building up to what's going to be a stunning end. And its all going to tie together. If you've been a Merlin fan, you'll be so glad you watched season 5 through to its end. It left me in heaven.

33. david Shaibu says:

I love the Merlin movie and its casts. But i’m not Happy with the manner it was concluded. Pls consider your audience dear producer and director.

34. grace smith says:

when is series-5, 53 thru65 to be shown in usa?

35. grace smith says:

great show

36. JoaoT says:

I LOVED the series, but the last episode was horrible!! Didn't make any sense! They were all losers. He never become the Great King, Merlin didn't save him after all that, and magic that was for good was never the goal. I am soooo disappointed. Why finish??? Who writes the final episodes???

37. geoffery emmanuel says:

no,i hate dat last espiodes,who wrote it.producers and casts should please consider their audience.angry mood activated

38. gatravlr says:

Hold on! That last episode is powerful and gripping, and it explains so much about all the previous episodes. It is a classically beautiful tragedy that redeems all the suffering that has been endured for five seasons.

Anyone who thinks it was bad or horrible wasn't paying any attention to the dialog, which was carefully and precisely written. Much of the dialog is, in fact, utterly dramatic. By listening to what is said, viewers cannot reach any conclusion other than that it was glorious, and that it represents a total victory for the protagonists.

I can say no more. Most people in the Untied States haven't seen it yet, and it would be pretty low down to blab all the details. To be sure, finale is so intricate that it's not even possible to give the ending away by giving away the plot. All I can do is ask discerning viewers to trust me that Season 5 is superb, and the finale will melt your heart.

39. lorraine says:

Have loved every moment of Merlin, superb viewing which suits the whole family, its the one programme all of us watch together (8-16 year olds), but who's daft idea was it to screen the finale on christmas eve? My poor little girl was sobbing at the end and couldn't be mollified for ages, not the best way to feel when santa's about to arrive???

• gatravlr says:

Lorraine — I'm sorry to hear that. I think what happened is that Merlin really did start out as a "family" show in its first season, but the last season turned the story arc in a much more serious direction. Before they knew what was going on BBC had committed season 5 to an early time slot. Maybe they were caught off guard.

Not that it does any good now, but the finale carried in it a message of love overcoming fate, and in that sense the moral of the story fit well with the spirit of Christmas. However, it was a message delivered at an adult level that a child could not be expected to understand right away. I think BBC knew the two parts of the finale had to be shown back to back, but they should have delayed the beginning of Merlin Season 5 by one week.

Anyhow, I'm glad you've loved Merlin as I have. Britain really has something to be proud of. We're only at episode 3 in the United States at the moment, so for us the suspense is still building.

40. Geraldine A Wilson says:

I am devastated that this wonderfull show has come to an end. I loved every episode my fav character l have to say was the Dragons. I love dragons but l loved everyone but thought the characters Merlin and Arthur was a perfect match. They complamented one another brilliantly and felt Robert Wilson was perfect for the character Gyus. I don't know what l will do without it maybe some more will be brought out in the future. I really hope so. Well hi to all the fans out there from this huge fan Geraldine

41. Vera says:

I love this series, but here in Brazil we have only to 2 season.
    I love Colin and Bradley!!!!

42. marcella says:

Oh no..i wish merlin continue his journey in season 6,..but wt to do i only can dream about it..when i saw the last episod on season 5 ,its so touching..p

43. marcella says:

Tq for the great story. .so sad after this, ..

44. Kanes says:

I'M LIBRA TOO!!!!!
    T.T.T.T.T I'm so happy!!

45. Muhammad mutawakkil says:

A very sad & touching ending!!!

46. Christy Krewer says:

I wish there were something we could do or say to keep this show going. There is so much more that could be done with this show. The actors work so well together and have such a way of getting to our hearts and making us believe in them. Why quit on a good thing? But if this is truly the end of this show, I would like to say thanks to all the actors for a really great job and being part of my life for the past several years!!!

• Sandra says:

I and thousands of other also want this show to keep going and have a working plan, if you'd like to join us google merlin-arthur mission statement and SUBSCRIBE to the blog then check the facebook action page merthursgroupsavemerlin we need to get numbers up as we head into the next phase of our quest. Any help you might give is very appreciated. Thanks for any help you give. Diane

47. Emma K says:

Bradley James was brilliant as Arthur, and without (hopefully!) giving away the finale, I will just say that he blew me away, yet again, with his performance. It's a pity writer Julian Jones wrote such a terrible script for 5.13, but for the most part, the acting, especially Bradley's, managed to compensate for that.

I'm glad the show ended when it did, as to drag it out for another year wouldn't have been productive if it was just going to be a repeat of all the events prior to 5.13, with no real development for the main characters. It also allows the actors to spread their wings and try new things before being typecast.

Thanks for this interview, and I'm really looking forward to seeing where this immensely talented actor (Bradley) pops up next.

48. Jeanne Vertefeuille says:

My husband and I just got done watching the 4Seasons of Merlin and thought it was a great Series. Very happy there's a 5th season coming out. We are in the States and don't get syfy channel which is going to be terrible. I want to watch the 5th season right away,and not wait for reruns!! I loved the characters Merlin and Arthur and their relationship .

49. @im1rarebird says:

I will miss this show most of all ….it had become something of a ritual in my home, hope they find something good to replace it with…I am beginning to wonder why all of the best actors and shows are now coming from the UK…hmmmm

50. muhammad says:

51. muhammad says:

well* a very wonderfull tnx 2 all merlin fans, we can say much abt it, actually it was really nyc, the best advanture movie ever, but 2ruthly the end, doesnt go as expected 2 b, we merlin fans from nigeria, say, merlin advanture plz continue*** we wil lov nothing more lyk merlin season 6*

52. muhammad says:

we look foward to merlin advanture series to continue* mak U hapie, plz cast a spell 2 us, 2 bring light into the darkness u left U in** am disappointed wit season 5

53. Airende blessing says:

I wish merlin s6 wil b out,dnt like d way it end,meaningless 2me cuz merlin culdnt save athur as planned,colin is my favourite.much lv to all d cast.

54. Hiya very cool site!! Guy .. Beautiful .. Wonderful .. I’ll bookmark your blog and take the feeds additionally? I am happy to search out numerous useful information right here within the post, we’d like develop more strategies on this regard, thank you for sharing.

. . . . .

55. Lulu says:

Just saw the final episode of Merlin last week online. I cried seeing the ending and how Merlin shows his pain and how upsetting was to him the outcome in the end. Collin's acting for the part was so amazing! It was excellent and so was Bradley's . Seeing Merlin crying and how helpless he seemed to feel made my cry. I was so touched by Arthur and Merlin true friendship till the end. Great writing and acting. I hate it had to end that way because their friendship was so convincing it almost felt as if it was real life and no just a TV show. Overall bravo to everybody who made the series so interesting and believable. To me this is one of the best shows I have seen in a long time. I can say I'm kinda heartbroken it has been cancelled and had to end. My best wishes to them in the future.

56. The show was never cancelled – the writers wanted to move on. We've been campaigning since the last episode aired in the UK on Christmas Eve. We CAN get the show back, we've already got main cast members, TV Execs and Networks plus other businesses supporting us – all we need is YOU taking action with us. Our plans are well advanced, we just need more people. Will you help? http://www.facebook.com/merlin2return

57. Catharine says:

The acting was fantastic. I don't want to reveal too much. The series conclusion was horrible and missed the mark completely. However, there was a lot of promises left unfulfilled. Hopefully, the people involved with Merlin reconsider the ending of this story and there is either a season 6 or a movie.

58. Marie Caswell says:

WE want Merlin back Pleaseeeee!!!

59. Diane Ohio says:

I fell in love with the whole cast but not Morgana.I hate to see it end. I looked forward to it every week. Good luck to the cast and hope to see you all soon.

60. Evelyn johnbull says:

Please am waiting to see more seasons. Dont put us in d dark, Arthur slept with wife, hopefully she will become pregnant. And the dragon said Arthur will raise again. Pls we are waiting i can not imagine that merlin has ended. Thanks

61. BradleyANDColin's fan says:

Did Arthur find out about Merlin’s magic? Merlin is so much loved in Nigeria! Love you all.

62. Helen Bobra says:

Its the voice of the Great Dragon that seems to be telling this story from s1. I at least expect it see it telling the story at the end but what i see is it almost dying and merlin still alive and strong. Plenty errors in S5

63. sabina says:

wow o.o

64. lekan says:

We Nigerians love merlin,and we want it to continue

so many things to left on answered,like aurthor rising again etc

65. Christina Ferretti says:

I think its rare to find a show that the actors fit so well into the charactors they play. I've watched season 1 – 4 over again a couple times. And watched only 4-5 episodes in season 5 when I learned how it was going to end. I'm from the US and don't know too much about the REAL legends. But I'm very unhappy and feel cheated by the writers. From the beginning heres Merlin trying to protect his King, Arthur becoming a great man/King and the knights/townspeople support ing and believing in Arthur. Kind of a good vs evil plot. And after all the struggles with Morgana/evil doers King Arthur dies??? I just think thats wrong. It doesnt send the right message out as far as I'm concerned. And so I probably WON'T watch the final episode. I wish the entire cast the best for future roles in television or movies, cant wait to see you all again. Thank you!

66. I like the film but dislike the final EPisode of season 5… I think we will be looking unto for season 6. Kudos to the actors and actresses, work well-done but just one more season to perfect you all season 6 is highly needed in Nigeria pls.

67. dora says:

Here in America I came across the Merlin series on netflix and fell in love with it. I watched all five seasons in about four weeks. Im sad to see it come to an end. I really enjoyed the characters of James and Morgan. I was hoping for a season 6 and 7 but happy that it had an end not leaving it off with no closure. Can’t wait to see what is next for these two actors now that Merlin is over.

68. prosper says:

i love colin morgan and bradley james they made us proud. Merlin stil remain the best despit the sudden closure mean while i stil love merlin bt i wish they wil bring sesson 6 back again. Am da george hope assist whenever their need.