‘Mortal Instruments’ TV series ‘Shadowhunters’ coming to ABC Family

March 30, 2015 | 1:09 p.m.
(ABC Family)

(ABC Family)

“Shadowhunters,” a new TV series in the “Mortal Instruments” franchise, is coming to ABC Family. The show will go into production in May in Toronto, the network announced Monday.

Based on the bestselling “The Mortal Instruments” YA urban fantasy book series by Cassandra Clare, “Shadowhunters” follows young heroine Clary Fray as she becomes entangled in the world of Shadowhunters — human-angel hybrids who hunt down demons — after her mother is attacked and taken by a demon. In order to save her mother, she must team up with a band of Shadowhunters, including the captivating Jace Wayland, uncover family secrets and tap into powers she never knew she had.

“Shadowhunters” picks up with Clary “living among faeries, warlocks, vampires and werewolves,” according to an ABC Family statement.

“Clary is a strong, dynamic and captivating character that our audience will immediately identify with,” said Karey Burke, ABC Family’s executive vice president of programming and development. “They will want her to succeed and will root for her on her journey to become who she was always meant to be. The series has a passionate fan base and an expansive universe that can sustain multiple seasons to come.”

The series is being produced by Constantin Film and will be helmed by Ed Decter, a screenwriter and producer whose credits include “There’s Something About Mary,” “Unforgettable,” “The Client List” and “In Plain Sight.”

The show is expected reboot the saga after the 2013 big-screen adaptation “The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones” opened to lackluster reviews and disappointing box-office numbers. The film has earned $31 million domestically. A planned sequel, “The Mortal Instruments: City of Ashes,” was shelved last year, and it’s unclear whether “City of Bones” stars Lily Collins and Jamie Campbell Bower will reprise their roles in the spinoff TV series. ABC Family has yet to announce casting.

Who should play Clary in the new series? Sound off in the comments.

– Noelene Clark | @NoeleneClark | Google+

Shailene Woodley as Tris Prior in a poster for "Insurgent." (Summit)Theo James relishes ‘Divergent’ experience

‘Insurgent’: Shailene Woodley talks Tris’ battles, inside and out

‘Insurgent’: Jai Courtney talks Eric’s journey

‘Insurgent’: Naomi Watts talks universal themes

‘Insurgent’: Mekhi Phifer on Max’s leadership

‘Insurgent’: Miles Teller on Peter’s allegiance

Shailene Woodley embraces being divergent

Kate Winslet shakes things up with a villainous turn

Winslet, Judd share thoughts on Shailene Woodley

‘Divergent’: Maggie Q talks Tori, tough heroines

Comments

57 Responses to ‘Mortal Instruments’ TV series ‘Shadowhunters’ coming to ABC Family

1. cburton says:

I really think Jamie Campbell bowers and lily Collins should remain

2. Janna says:

I think that Jamie Campbell Bowers did a great job as Jace and Lily Collins was good as well. I think they should stay.

3. person says:

MOLLY C QUINN!!!!!!!!!! (should play Clary)

4. bellazadithya says:

Yeah, i agree with cburton. Jamie is a perfect Jace i think :)

5. Bella says:

I picture Clary as looking more like Rose Leslie. And I see Jace as a young Alex Pettyfer.

6. Human says:

I do not know who should play the roles but I don’t think that Lily Collins or Jamie Campbell Bower should stay they are great actors just not for this role

7. Herondalefan says:

NEW CAST PLEASE!!

8. Stella Smith says:

I think the original movie cast should be asked to return to their roles on the television series.

9. emarika says:

I agree with bellazadithya

10. Christa says:

I think it would be a huge mistake to cast anyone other than Jamie Campbell Bower for the role of Jace. He did such an amazing job of this role that anyone else cast in the role would be automatically compared to Jamie and would fall short. Jamie’s talent brought Jace’s character to life, simultaneously depicting his arrogance, vulnerability, loyalty, and love for Clary. I seriously doubt that anyone else can do a better job!

• alyssa says:

Same! Besides, in the movie's special features, cassandra clare said that right when Jamie walked in, She just KNEW that he was the one!

11. Donna Forrester says:

Jamie Campbell Bower MUST be Jace!

12. Jamie Campbell Bower MUST be Jace. He is perfect for the role.

13. Chloe says:

i didnt like Jamie Campbell bowers in the movie… i did like Godfrey Gao (magnus) and Lily Collins.

14. Betsy says:

They better keep original cast ! I’m hoping !Jamie Campbell Bower is a Perfect Jace !!

15. Mary says:

Jamie Campbell Bower must stay he is awesome!

16. Betsy says:

I’m watching City of Bones right now, for the 100th time !! Can’t wait for TV series ! & I think they should start where City of Bones leaves off with mentions of what was before for people who didn’t see the movie & some flashbacks !!!

• Hannah says:

If you have ever read the book series you would know that this is a terrible idea because the messed up the story line of the first book very badly and to start the next one they would just have to start making stuff up (Although they basically did that with the first book)

• gena says:

Read the books i agree the movie and cast was great till i read the books your view will completely change and you'll see why it didn't do well in the drop box things will become clear

17. Chloe says:

Putting someone other than the original cast in the the tv series would be a HUGE mistake. I seriously wouldn’t watch the series if they didn’t remain. When i read the books i can’t picture anyone other than them and they did such an incredible job in the movie that it would e impossible for anyone to replace them. I loved the movie so much and was completely devastated when i heard that they canceled the sequel so pleaassseee keep the original cast they are amazing 😻

18. sharon says:

new cast please. jamie campbell as jace was awful in the movie. Benjamin stone all the way and mila kunis as isabelle lightwood

19. liz says:

Lily Collins

20. Dekemvrios says:

Jamie said he'd be totally up for it. Which is great. He was fantastic as Jace.
    BUT IF LILY STAYS, THEY BETTER DYE HER HAIR THE RIGHT COLOR OR SO HELP ME I WON'T WATCH IT.

21. Monica says:

I read books 2-5…skipped book one due to having watched the movie itself…but I soon realized through reading all the other books that the story line was very different in the book then the movie…I loved the movie but was disappointed after realizing how much was changed…however when I read all the other books I could clearly picture the scenes with the cast from Mortal Instruments….both lily and jamie should remain!!! I would be very disappointed otherwise…they just made the love story believe able I cannot see any one other then the original cast.

22. Sailem says:

I really hope Jamie Campbell bower can remain Ross linch doesn’t seem like a good match for jace.

23. Trinity says:

Keep Jamie!!!! I felt his feelings when he was in the movie!

24. gabby says:

the people who play these roles in the movie should stay these people in the series :
    valentine, jace, clary , magnus, simon, lilly, jocelyn, alec, isabelle and luke ….did i forget anyone NO because no one needs to be changed i do think that sebastian should be played by either alex pettyfer or evan peters though……. If the casts not broke DONT fix it!!!!!

25. Tessa says:

recast it!!! i hope the series actually follows the books. I am so tired of them mentioning how the movie bombed without talking about WHY which was piss poor casting and changing the plot.

26. Wanda says:

The actors from the movie shld definitely stay on in the tv series.

27. Okay I am quite open to the new cast. But as almost everyone, I really hope with all my might that Jamie Campbell bower returns as jace. He was so dann awesome in this role! very very perfect for jace!

And Robert sheehan and Godfrey go were great as well. And I really liked all of he cast!

And if they were to choose someone else for clary, I hope they are not going to choose someone like Molly C Quinn. She has nothing of Clary and is way too…perfect. her face tells no story and she has no edges to her image. She is just too much of a Barbie. And, as we all know, clary was never THAT fond of her looks. She was never really girly and she did not always like her face. And when a human says that it is fine. But when a Barbie says the same thing people instantly start to hate her. So…Molly is a great actress. But not as Clary, please.

28. amy says:

I think Nina Dobrev because she just quit vampire diaries

29. Inés says:

In my oponion Jamie Campbell Bower was really good as well it was Lily. Keep them please😭😭😟

30. Natasha says:

Recast I agree when people say Jamie Campbell bower and lily Collins are great actors. I love lily Collins but they were not good for these roles Jamie made jace out to be tortured and intense and yes he is because of his past but in the books he hides this with sarcasm. If the are to keep anyone from the movie cast it has to be Robert Sheehan. He was an amazing Simon, I love him he was perfect in my eyes but overall the have to recast and they are so I am pleased

31. Natasha says:

32. MI obsessor says:

I think that the person from Vampire Diaries who has been cast as Jace manages to capture his tortured/untouchable look.

33. MI obsessor says:

In my opinion, Jade Ramsey from House of Anubis (don't worry people, she's English like the original cast) should be Isabelle Lightwood. Jade looks tough and pretty and has a look that says, "Fight me, I dare you," which I totally see with Isabelle. I could also see Phoebe Tonkin, from The Originals and The Secret Circle, as Isabelle. She looks gorgeous and kick-butt.

34. MI obsessor says:

I see Logan Lerman, from Noah, Percy Jackson, The Three Musketeers, Stuck in Love, and The Perks of Being a Wildflower, as Alex Lightwood. He has starling, intense blue eyes, a pale complexion, and the perfect line between hard and tender.

35. MI obsessor says:

Clary Fray is hard to pin. I like Madison Davenport as her though. Nicole Gale Anderson would be perfect if they dyed her hair and if she hadn't been on a different ABC family show before. Then again, that makes her familiar with them and some Ravenswood fans might be tempted to watch Shadowhunters because they recognize her. Both Madison and Nicole have a look about them that shows the aren't damsels in distress, but they are the type anyone like Jace Wayland/Morgenstern/Herondale would want to run to save.

36. MI obsessor says:

Simon Lewis is easy. I would love either Connor Jessup, Falling Skies, Blackbird, Saddle Club, or Nick Purcha to be him. Connor would have to wear glasses, but he'd be so perfect. Nick Purcha is probably too young to play an eighteen year old (I hear that's how old the characters are in the TV series). So mostly Connor Jessup.

37. MI obsessor says:

I have no clue about Magnus. Sorry. I vote for Matthew Settle as Valentine, maybe. He might look too nice.

38. Taylor Baldwin says:

I think the movie was amazing. I am disappointed that there will be no sequel, but the series is better than nothing, and I think they should keep all the original characters because it would't be the same without the original actors. I think the actors did really well in the movie by the way, so PLEASE KEEP THE SAME CAST MEMBERS.

39. whoever says:

Jamie Campbell should remain Jace!!!!!!

40. MetalAngel says:

Look, all you haters for the movie, I thought the cast and everything was great, Yeah they should have had Lily’s hair color more fiery, and Jamie a little more muscular, but honestly I think the TV Series MIGHT suck, im not trying to start any trouble here, but dude! The cast was Rad for TMI the original they were great, but you haters for the original cast The people your all naming off would possibly not suit the part so quit putting down Jamie, Lily and them do something useful with your life

And Alex Pettyfer? SERIOUSLY? Jamie sure as heck is better looking dudes! Who cares he isnt that skinny!

41. Rena says:

I'm sorry people, but Jamie Campbell Bower did an awful portrayal of Jace. I am just praying to god that it will be someone better for the show, because it would make my world to see the best book series made into a wonderful TV show.

As for Clary, i thought Lily Collins was okay, but still just wasn't really right for the character. I think Molly Quinn would be okay, but the best actor would be Maddisen Beatty. Whoever you are reading this, go look her up right now so you can see. She's perfect!!!!

Also, i thog=ught the astor for Magnus was great, just didn't act exactly right, and as for Simon, i thought he was uterly perfect and really captured the character that we all love.

Just my opinions! :) I really respect everyone else's.

42. cory says:

The cast from the movie should stay

43. S gainan says:

Pleassssssss don't make the same mistake as film key points Alec good with bow all way through books valentine has white hair jace in the film wasn't sarcastic enough don't change the story the kids were under 18 for areason to point out they weren't suppose to be old enough to make decisions please don't spoil it.

44. Bella says:

Okay, ive read all of Cassie Claires books. From clockwork angels to the bane Chronicles. Jamie Campbell Bower is perfect for Jace! and Lily Collins is perfect for Clary. I have a question will the tv show be based off City of Bones or City of Ashes?

45. Autumn says:

Scarlet Pomers looks like she would be good for Clary, or maybe Lilly Cole. How about Jake Abel for Jace as well. I think of the actors looked good to me

46. Joana says:

I think that it will be a huge mistake if the cast other than Jamie and Lilly!!! I DONT watch the series if others play Clarie and Jace.

47. Steph says:

i think if you are redoing the movie into the series start from scratch….they were great in the movie but i do have to say the only one i would want to remain is valentine…other than that i think fresh faces along with the series will have more views. the description of the main people in the book did NOT reflect the movie at all..i think that is one reason it did poorly….