‘Sailor Moon': Anime reboot and redub to premiere July 5

June 19, 2014 | 5:01 p.m.
"Sailor Moon Crystal" will be available to stream online starting July 5.

“Sailor Moon Crystal” will be available to stream online starting July 5. (Viz Media)

North American “Sailor Moon” fans can rejoice: “Sailor Moon Crystal,” the new reboot of the classic anime franchise, will be available to stream starting July 5 on Hulu and Viz Media’s Neon Alley.

Based on Naoko Takeuchi’s long-running manga series, “Sailor Moon Crystal” will retell the story of Usagi Tsukino discovering she is Sailor Moon. As revealed in the trailer below, Usagi meets Luna, a black cat that can talk, who has been searching for her. After she is given a special brooch to transform into Sailor Moon, Usagi is tasked with the mission to gather her allies, other Sailor Senshi or “Guardians,” and defeat the enemy.

As in the original anime series that aired in the U.S. starting in 1995, Sailor Moon’s mission also involves seeking out the Legendary Silver Crystal and protecting it from Queen Beryl.

“Fans everywhere have eagerly awaited the launch of the new ‘Sailor Moon Crystal’ series, and we are very excited to announce its premiere on Neon Alley and Hulu starting next month,” said Charlene Ingram, Viz Media’s senior manager of animation marketing, in a statement. After the premiere, new episodes of the anime, subtitled in English, will be available on the first and third Saturdays of each month.

To commemorate the series’ launch, Viz Media will also be hosting Sailor Moon Day on July 5 at the 2014 Anime Expo with special activities. Among the planned events is a panel where the first two newly produced dubbed episodes of the original animated “Sailor Moon” series will premiere. The Anime Expo will be held at the Los Angeles Convention Center from July 3 to 6.

How do you like Sailor Moon’s new look? Let us know in the comments section below.

– Tracy Brown | @tracycbrown | @LATHeroComplex

Nausicaa‘Poppy Hill’ trailer: Love, secrets in bygone era

VIDEO: A scene from ‘The Wind Rises’

Miyazaki’s farewell film coming to U.S.

‘The Simpsons’ pays tribute to Hayao Miyazaki

‘Totoro,’ ‘Mononoke’ returning to theaters

‘Arrietty’ director on the beauty of Studio Ghibli

Ghibli films spirited away to the big screen

Miyazaki breaks silent Iraq protest

‘Tangled Ever After’: Disney lets its hair down

Miyazaki: Even if you don’t see details, you do

Miyazaki’s ‘Nausicaä’ as personal archaeology

‘Adventure Time’ attracts adult fans

Comments

24 Responses to ‘Sailor Moon': Anime reboot and redub to premiere July 5

1. Jose Bendol Jr. says:

I’m still a fan of Sailor Moon. Let’s see how this new one turns out.

2. alexis says:

I'm attending the Anime Expo :O I'm gonna be wearing a Sailor Senshi costume just like sooo many other girls will be wearing on Sailor Moon Day! I'm super excited! It's going to be tons of fun and I can't wait to see other people that grew up with this show like I did.

3. Wilson says:

Happy to see that she's back.

4. Jess says:

I’m glad Sailor Moon is revamped and all, but the art is so different from the original. I thought it was kind of wonky during the fifth season, but this is so weird looking, Serena is all knobby kneed and awkward.

• Emily says:

I kind of like the new art. It reminds me of the original manga art, just done with a touch of the original anime show art. It's sort of like the best of both worlds <3

• Lee says:

The motions of the animation is a bit strange for me since I'm so used to the original animation character movements. I guess that was the old 90's techniques used in those character drawings and movements back in those days, and it is only a small trailer or example. However, it's great to see this show come back and yes it's more along the style of the manga version now. : )

5. leila says:

im going to cry im so excited

6. annne says:

i just want to see the full load of sailormoon till the end of all episode plss plss plss…i am dying
    …dying fan of this..i cant even make my homework watching sailormoon …but hope to see it again nut how where IDONT kNOW…GRRRRRRR

happyday guys ..like sailormoon i am fighting for justice for the good future ….check check

7. Cindy Conor says:

Sailor Moon's appearence is kinda like the first season

8. Usagi says:

I am so excited!!! Can’t wait

9. Daniel says:

How do you like Sailor Moon’s new look?
    I don't like it
    The old look is Better

10. Jen says:

The new art does *not* look good. So sad. Really was looking forward to a fresher more modern look.

11. @ArtistChibi says:

Eh…it's not a new look. It's the original look. What the people did who made the original anime based off the manga, they did it different. This reboot will be more manga style art than its predecessor. To think, Sailor Moon became so popular, to, not only, have it's own live action, some movies, and musicals, it also gets a reboot. YAY!!

12. Becca says:

I like the old version better. Why couldn't you just add on to where they left off? It would have been so much better. The art isn't that great on the new on and they look weird and awkward. Its sad to see that we have to watch it all over again in the funky looking art.:(

• kgfvkg says:

I am actually really looking forward to seeing a sailor moon that followers the manga more closely. Also like other people have said, this art is like the manga art so this will most likely be closer to the original sailor moon not the anime.

P.S. You don't *have* to watch it

13. simran says:

i just hate the new art look im gonna cry out of dissapointment well a question is it all from the top i mean is everything going to be from season 1 again ???

14. miciikic says:

The art is certainly different but either ways I'M SUPER EXCITED!! :)

15. Wilson says:

Sailor Moon Crystal has now been picked up (negotiated) for streaming through Crunchyroll anime web. There's a picture of the characters at a restaurant table at the site – if they look THIS good throughout the series I'm fine with it! The link to the news and picture is here: http://herocomplex.latimes.com/tv/sailor-moon-ani

16. @YuiDerry says:

am waiting for them soo excited …_

17. Tracy Paglione says:

CANT WAIT ! CANT WAIT ! CANT WAIT ! CANT WAIT !

18. Adrian McGrady says:

What time does the episode begin streaming

19. Wilson says:

I just saw the dub. It's good. I also saw the new Sailor Moon Crystal. It's wonderful!

20. Katie says:

When are they going to dub the episodes? All that's on hulu is subbed, don't get me wrong I'm excited for new episodes at all, but I grew up listening to her in English when I ws little before I discovered the internet lol, just wondering if anyone knows when dubbed episodes will be released

• Wilson says:

I went to the Anime Expo 2014 Sailor Moon English dub event where all the new actors were introduced to the audience. At the convention they have announced that the Blu Ray and DVDs are due to go on sale with the first set due out November 11, 2014.