Three ’24′ fans win $10,000 and set world record: 86 hours of Jack Bauer

Dec. 07, 2010 | 6:01 a.m.

Victor Victor Lopez, Kevin Coon and Farris Hodo. (Jevon Phillips / Los Angeles Times)

Fandom went the ultimate distance Monday as three men — Kevin Coon, Farris Hodo and Victor Lopez — set a Guinness World Record for the longest continuous TV-watching period as part of a marathon event put on by Fox for the show “24.”

[Correction: In an earlier version of this post, it was stated that the contestants watched every season of "24." They only watched six seasons, stopping on episode 1.] The three guys also won $10,000 each for their ordeal, which lasted 86 hours, six minutes and 41 seconds, watching 6 seasons of Jack Bauer’s travails. The tripling up of the prize money was a surprise to the trio, who were told to come outside minutes after they had surpassed the record.

“I felt strong … but it felt good being done,” Hodo said. “It was down to four yesterday, and one guy fell asleep. I felt so bad for the guy cause he sat right next to me. We were all trying to look out for each other.”

They were the last three of the 100 who had signed up for the marathon on the event’s Facebook page. The group began watching Thursday night in a makeshift room created in the middle of the Hollywood & Highland Center in Hollywood. By Friday afternoon, 49 had dropped out of the contest, all of them receiving copies of the complete series DVD (which comes out Dec. 14). Coon was the first one to show up and ended up being one of the final three.

“It did get kind of crazy toward the end,” Coon said. “There were nights when you just said, ‘Why am I doing  this?’…  Slapping yourself like Jack Bauer.”

Lopez didn’t do it for the money or the world record — he is just a hardcore fan who loved the show and  wanted to be a part of anything that honored it.

“When they announced that they weren’t gonna show ['24'] anymore, I kind of cried. My friends were like, ‘Come on, man! Stop being a little girl,’ ” Lopez said. “I was like, ‘You don’t understand, man. That’s Jack Bauer. He’s everything!’ “

Kimberly Partrick, a Guinness World Record adjudicator, praised the competitors for their fan feat. “These guys are really amazing.  They look like they could go much longer.”

Indeed. Even after the record, they stood around and chatted with fans and media for hours, probably running on adrenaline. Coon said: “I am going to go buy myself a $100 pillow.”

– Jevon Phillips

“True Blood” star finds his own voice in “Red Hill”

Lloyd: “True Blood” still “frustrating but not unlikable”

“Sherlock” brings a new cranky genius to TV

Jennifer Love Hewitt revisits “Ghost Whisperer”

REVIEW:”Walking Dead” takes zombies to new level

“Walking Dead” star  aims for Gary Cooper in zombie hell

“Doctor Who” will hit home video with a special extra

Comments

14 Responses to Three ’24′ fans win $10,000 and set world record: 86 hours of Jack Bauer

1. raspberrymochalatte says:

Awesome! I would have loved to have been there!! Miss you Jack Bauer! Congrats to the three of you!

2. Rudylania says:

Wow, I will love to be there. I love that show, and considering that I have miss the final episode of the last two sessons I will be more than glad to be there. Congratulation to the winners they erned.
    Rudylania

3. shepherd says:

i wish i was there , i wouldhave won

4. GaRyan says:

Amazing, but how does the math work out? 86 hours divided by 192 episodes. That's less than half an hour per episode.

• strife212 says:

They probably cut out all the episode previews and intros

• ben&jerry24 says:

Surely that wouldn't reduce it to less than half an hour per episode though…? Each one was still approx 35-40 minutes even flicking the "previously on 24" etc etc.

• BrettR4763 says:

No, that's a mistake by the article. No way could they have watched the entire series. Each episode has approximately 40 minutes of content, excluding the recaps, making 192 of them last around 128 hours. They probably watched the first five seasons and a little bit of the sixth. The math adds to 86 hours. :)

5. Jason says:

All 8 seasons are 8673 minutes, according to Amazon, total run time. Divide that by 60 mins and that's 144.55 hours…something doesn't add up

6. Jevon Phillips says:

Hey all. As you can see, I went ahead and corrected my ‘every season’ remark. Your math was right on BrettR4763. They got up to season 6, according to the publicists, but it’s still a great feat!

7. 24 Fan says:

Tremendous TV show…THE BEST non-sports show in the history of TV, which I started watching in 1952.

No other TV series would even be worthy of such a marathon of endurance…

8. Suleiman S Dosho says:

I wish 24 would go on and on. I have watched many TV programs but i can not compare any with 24. 24 is the best so far.

9. Greg says:

Why did they stop a season 6?

• 24 Fan says:

Because the world record had been BROKEN & they were in DESPERATE NEED OF SLEEP!!

I'm sure all of these 24 addicts have seen all the seasons MULTIPLE TIMES…

10. Mastoor says:

That is true . Even me from thousands mile away from US I say I was addicted by this series and I watched them more than 20 times. That is really exceptional case. and I really want to know if there is a chance to have the 24 Season 9 in the near future.

Mastoor