Trent Reznor and HBO moving forward with ‘Year Zero’ sci-fi series [updated]

Sept. 28, 2010 | 6:04 a.m.

Trent Reznor in concert (Ethan Miller/Reuters)

Trent Reznor says HBO and BBC Worldwide Productions are moving forward with the development of “Year Zero,” the grim sci-fi epic that Reznor has chronicled in his music as well as in a celebrated Alternate Reality Game (ARG).

“We are in [the development phase of] pre-production with HBO and BBC [Worldwide Productions] to do a miniseries,” Reznor said Monday. “It’s exciting. I probably shouldn’t say too much about it except that I understand that there’s a thousand hurdles before anything shows up in your TV listing. It’s been an interesting and very educational process and it cleared the HBO hurdle a few months ago and now we’re writing drafts back and forth. So it’s very much alive and incubating at the moment.”

Reznor is working with the team of  Lawrence Bender, best known for producing Quentin Tarantino films such as “Pulp Fiction,” “Inglourious Basterds” and “Reservoir Dogs” as well as the documentaries “An Inconvenient Truth” and “Countdown to Zero,” and Kevin Kelly Brown, who was executive producer on “Roswell.

“BBC [Worldwide Productions] was the first to show interest and came on as the studio,” Reznor explained. “Our writer is Daniel Knauf from ‘Carnivàle’ and he’s busy with pages right now and revising the overall world Bible. It’s been an interesting collaborative effort but I’ve learned that [television development] moves at a glacial pace.”

“Year Zero” began (as so many things do in the music of Nine Inch Nails) from a place of wrenching emotion and sonic adventure. Reznor found himself increasingly outraged by the geopolitical situation during the Bush years and he wanted to express the fury in music, but he found himself bored by traditional approaches to protest music. To read more about “Year Zero,” read our 2008 interview with the rock auteur.

– Geoff Boucher

DO YOU SPEAK GEEK? TRY THE HERO COMPLEX TRIVIA CHALLENGE

Christopher Nolan on Superman: “We have a fantastic story”

“X-Men” director: Super-hero genre “mined to death”

“Star Wars” producer: Toy sales turned Lucas to dark side

Clint Eastwood: I was offered Superman and 007

Ryan Reynolds: “Deadpool” is “Barfly” of superhero films

Raimi’s “Spider-Man” regrets: “I would have done everything differently”

Christopher Nolan on his favorite scene in “Dark Knight”

UPDATED: Trent Reznor referred to “BBC America” when he meant to say “BBC Worldwide Productions.” An earlier version of this post reflected that error.

More in: TV, Music

Comments

30 Responses to Trent Reznor and HBO moving forward with ‘Year Zero’ sci-fi series [updated]

1. maryelle says:

This is great news and something a lot of people have been waiting for for a long time.

Also, your site is probably going to crash in a few minutes as the news (and link) spreads around Twitter. ;-)

2. maryelle says:

3. fragilenails says:

Awesome news on something I wasn't sure was actually going to happen. Could we finally see the Year One album coming our way too?

• Ryan says:

first, Year One(2009) is already a movie starring Jack Black…second, YEAR ZERO is NIN album released in 2007 and this series would be based on that album…uh hello?

4. Eez says:

This is going to be epic.

5. Terri says:

This is so great. Was wondering if he still wanted to do this. Can't wait for it.

6. Raquel says:

I'm a NIN fan by proxy but am sooo excited about this series! Can't wait!

7. C. R. Lanei says:

So glad that they are working with Knauf as a writer. Sounded great before–sounds amazing now!

8. TR1 says:

I'm afraid that this is going to turn out REAL stupid!! Sorry, but it never sounded like a good idea to me…

9. Isabel says:

Excited by this, been waiting for this to come to fruition for a long time!

10. arclight2012 says:

I'm really glad this is happening. I assumed it wasn't going to happen when essentially the same article was published as an April Fool's joke earlier this year.

11. reetung says:

Wow, no way man that dude is just WAY too cool!

12. Clint says:

START THE RIOT!!

13. Dave says:

This makes me so happy! I've been waiting to hear about this for so long! Daniel Knauf is a brilliant writer and Trent Reznor is a genius. Cannot wait to hear and see how this develops. I'm so excited!

14. NIN Junkie says:

You're such an inspiration to never give up. Thank you Trent. – NIN Junkie

15. NINmakesme:) says:

yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!! This is going to be awesome!!! Can't wait!!!

16. HPL says:

I hope they continue the awesome ARG along with the show! Watching/listening is great and all but the interactivity of the ARG was simply unbelievable.

17. MAO says:

jesus christ to the "year one with Jack Black poster."

anyway Trent AND the Carnivale writer this is going to be sick!!!! Hopefully Trent plays nice and is open to at least a little collaboration, as we all know NIN IS TRENT REZNOR…he's not one who seems to do well in group efforts.

18. Raven Lightholme says:

YES! I can't wait for this.

19. deusduckus says:

Now how about a film based on The Fragile?

• lili bliss says:

The Fragile was my own personal soundtrack during a very rough time in my life, & I would love love love to see how Reznor would do a film built on it.

20. Neorev says:

So let me get this straight… Trent Reznor of NIN and Dan Knauf of Carnivale are coming together to create this show??? I AM SO IN!!!!! I love Carnivale, it was and still is the greatest television series ever in history. Too bad it was cut short before the story was fully told. BRING IT ON!

21. ScottW says:

I just stumbled across this story, I am very excited. As for me personally…I'm millions of miles away from where I was when this story was first published in September. I'm exhausted after an inner journey of over eight months, yet quite calm and happy, having "calmed the tides of war." I had a great time last night, a few Coronas, chatted with a really cool female bartender…let loose and laughed. I think I'm going to spend considerably less time on the internet from now on…I've got a life to plan.

22. Rabbit says:

So 3 years after bush, how does he feel now?