‘Under the Dome’ preview: CBS unveils Stephen King thriller

April 01, 2013 | 12:51 p.m.

“Under the Dome,” the ambitious series adapted from Stephen King’s 2009 novel, isn’t set to debut on CBS until June, but the network, maybe wisely taking advantage of the apocalyptic mania stoked by Sunday’s season finale of “The Walking Dead,” has released a teaser promoting the new show in which King promises that viewers’ eyes will “bug out of their heads” when they see it.

The novel centers on what happens when a giant transparent dome suddenly seals off the small Maine town of Chester’s Mill from the rest of the world. It became a bestseller earning King rave reviews — writing for The Times, critic Jedediah Berry hailed the 1,000-plus page tome as “the work of a master storyteller having a whole lot of fun.”

Executive producer Stephen King (left), director Niels Arden Oplev (center) and executive producer Jack Bender (right) on the set of "Under the Dome" in Wilmington, N.C. The series premieres on CBS  on June 24. (Michael Tacktt/CBS)

Executive producer Stephen King, left, director Niels Arden Oplev, center, and executive producer Jack Bender on the set of “Under the Dome” in Wilmington, N.C. The series premieres on CBS on June 24. (Michael Tacktt/CBS)

The series ensemble features a number of familiar faces, including “Breaking Bad’s” Dean Norris, in addition to actors Mike Vogel, Rachelle Lefevre, Colin Ford and Britt Robertson, among others.

“Under the Dome” was adapted by Brian Vaughan, a comic book and TV writer whose credits include “Lost.” King also is an executive producer on the science fiction series, which debuts June 24.

What do you think? Are you excited to see the novel brought to the small screen? Tell us in the comments below.

– Gina McIntyre

Follow us on Twitter: @LATHeroComplex

‘Walking Dead’ finale: Gale Anne Hurd on season 4

‘Walking Dead’: Glen Mazzara on war, revenge, hope

Glen Mazzara: Comic fans won’t guess what’s coming

‘Walking Dead’: Michael Rooker on tough love, Merle’s code

‘Walking Dead’ star Danai Gurira: Michonne, Rick and PTSD

Q&A: Norman Reedus is go-to guy in zombie times

Comments

40 Responses to ‘Under the Dome’ preview: CBS unveils Stephen King thriller

1. @njudah says:

the simpsons did it first!

• Burt says:

Exactly!

• Mike says:

King stated that he started to write this book in the 80's, and shelved it. So not really.

• mallory says:

Yes they did the movie. The book was started years ago and is not even close to the book ” Under the Dome”. If you read it you will see how they differ . Two totally different stories..

• Lee says:

I received the book as a Christmas gift, read all 1,074 pages and enjoyed every moment. King 's books have always kept me spellbound. While most moveis don't always 100% portray a written novel, am looking forward to seeing it all the same.

2. Steve says:

I just wish they would have stuck to the storyline and the way the novel is written, but that won’t happen. The characters were perfect the way SK wrote them

3. Ravioli says:

If Stephen Kings previous adaptions are any
    Indicator then I'm sure it will be horrible.

4. jedwards says:

I read the novel when it came out. Even in the title and teaser, I see major changes. I have to agree with Steve and Ravioli: changes were clearly made, as in other King adaptations, and the final product is likely to be far less exciting than the novel.

5. Susan says:

It will be AWESOME!

6. Rick says:

Actually, these are all based on a French film which was released in America as "The Fantastic Invasion of Planet Earth" back in the 1970s. It featured a town cut off from the rest of the world when a giant clear dome appears over it.

7. Mike says:

I wasn't a fan of the novel. Things go south pretty fast when the dome appears and that one city councilman turns way too eeeeeevil, way too fast. I also disliked the ending immensely. The premise was fantastic, though. Maybe TV will do it justice.

8. Jerry Miller says:

I want to see it. I liked the book. I liked most of SK adaptions. I do have problems with IT, however. They need to do the book justice.

9. Larry says:

Sorry, but I'm a huge fan of SK and love everything he has written and has anyhting to do with. I loved the book and will really like the series whether it's different or not. I will be watching!

10. Mike says:

Man, why does this have to be on CBS. It's going to be so watered down. They couldn't even say "bitch" on How I Met Your Mother.

11. Christina says:

I have read the book, and it was awesome. So when I found out that it will be turned into a movie or a series, I was thrilled. Cannot wait to see it. Mr. King never disappoints. :) Good luck guys!

12. Mari says:

I'm excited for this mini-series, but even more so for a film adaptation of 11/22/63!!! Wonderful book!

13. David G Hallmark says:

The book was awesome, but treating it as a TV series will be a big let down. It should have been written for TV as was ‘The Stand’. A series with a definite end after only 10 episodes. But, money is the bottom line and will draw out the story to infinity with sludge.

14. Cathy says:

Just heard my favorite King book (yes I liked it better than The Stand) will be a mini-series this summer. I cannot wait. Also, it 's nice to have some quality drama on network TV for a change. Thanks CBS.

15. sally says:

Correct me if I am wrong,but this has been done a few years ago so how can you say its new

16. huge ish says:

I just wish he'd do The Dark Tower series as a mini series.

17. Tracy says:

I wish they would do a movie of his novel, DUNE ~ That was awesome to read!

18. Alicia says:

I loved the beginning with the beaver, wonder if that part made it into the series

19. Kim says:

I loved the book, but I am seeing characters advertised in this mini-series that are definately not in the book. Why do that? The characters in the book are great and I don't understand why you would change that.

20. Plinkey says:

If John Goodman doesn't play Rennie then it'll be terrible.

21. Kathleen says:

I am very excited to see this Story on CBS I think it will be great . Haven't finished the book yet. But looking forward to the Mini series.

22. D. Littleton says:

Just saw the trailer on CBS …I'l be watching

23. susan davis says:

SK never fails to tickle my fancy with his genre of story telling. I will be stuck to the television. If it turns out half as well as Stand, I will be thrilled.

24. Jersey Girl says:

Just finished reading the book and was disappointed when I saw a picture of the actor who will play Renne. Another writer mentioned that John Goodman should play the part. I agree. A major part of Renne's character is his size and the actor playing him is in no way large enough to do the character justice.

25. Gardner says:

Why was the wind blowing? There would be no wind under such circumstances.

26. kbar says:

The TV show is unwatchable

27. Sue says:

Am in TOTAL agreement with kbar and very sad to say so. Was SO looking forward to seeing it. Should have known better.

28. Rob says:

I too am wondering why the wind is blowing inside the dome? Can't they find the direction it is blowing to find an opening out of the dome? Or do the producers of the show expect us to "ignore" this fact?

29. Angie says:

I get so angry when I see wind blowing. How can there be wind?

30. guest says:

I LIKE the show. Its entertaining. Only thing for us is, we can't stay up till 10pm we are dosing off. I wish they would move it back to 9pm, probably get way more viewers.