Oct. 04, 2009 | 8:00 p.m.

Walt Disney's Pinocchio

Next year marks the 70th anniversary of “Pinocchio,” my favorite Disney film, and Dick Jones, the actor who gave voice to the beloved title character, will be a special guest at the Lone Pine Film Festival next weekend (Oct. 9-11).

If you’re not familiar with that festival, it’s got a wagon-wheel ethos with its emphasis on Old West fare, frontier imagery and the great old cowboy serials. So, um, how does the star of “Pinocchio” – which is based on the 19th century Italian children’s classic – fit in with the campfire conversation?

That question is answered in this wonderful video, which was put together just for you Hero Complex readers by Don Kelsen, a veteran photographer at the Los Angeles Times who also happens to be an amateur authority on vintage westerns and saddleback serials. Great stuff, hope to bring you more retrospective videos like this one in the weeks to come.

– Geoff Boucher

Walt Disney and Mickey Mouse

Pinocchio and wishing on a 70-year-old star

50 years later: “Sleeping Beauty” star dazzles D23 audience

D23: ‘Lost’ Mickey Mouse cartoon from the 1950s will be screened

Johnny Depp “shocked and sad” over Disney decision

Who will Johnny Depp call Kemo Sabe?

Disney’s D23 looks to future and celebrates past

John Hart, the “other” Lone Ranger, dead at 91

Gotham in wartime: A look back at Batman serials

Frank Coghlan of “Captain Marvel” serials dies at 93

Comments

8 Responses to A real boy, seven decades later: Dick Jones, the voice of ‘Pinocchio,’ looks back

1. Sheldon says:

Very nice. I vaguely rememeber Range Rider and it's good to know they did their own stunts.
    Dickie Moore seems like a classy guy.
    Thanks for posting the vid.

2. Mimi says:

Very interesting! I didn't know much about DICK JONES!
    Thank you!!!

3. Kaye says:

Good video

4. Native Angeleno says:

Just what i love about Hollywood, its obscure history. More, please, Geoff, anytime.

5. Marsha says:

I was in love with Dick Jones when I was 11. Now it's fun to look back. Thanks!!

6. Dr. David Carmos says:

I remember both Dick Jones and Jack Mahoney in the Range Rider and Buffalo Bill Jr. series of the '50s. In fact, I own several of those shows. Right now I am taking a break from watching a few RR episodes, just as I might have done on a Saturday morning over 50 years ago. It's nice to pop backward and visit some old "friends" from the past. Earlier I finished watching the Batman and Robin serial of 1949. One thing I liked about both Dick Jones and Jack Mahoney, was that they both did their own stunts. I have often wondered if Jack taught Dick since Mahoney had worked as a stunt man previously. Anyone out there have the answer? Of course, Dick Jones might!

7. cage says:

I have watched Buffalo Bill Jr and I love it,
    of course my favorite was Dick Jones or Buffalo Bill Jr.

8. Chris Newman says:

Both "Range Rider" and "Buffalo Bill, Jr." are now showing regularly on HOT TV, a tiny broadcast channel riding on the back of digital channels on local TV. Anyone remember "26 Men" or "Cowboy G-Men" from the same era? Or, walking down a dark alley without being afraid? Those were the days…. <sigh>