June 24, 2009 | 7:35 p.m.

Oscar trophyThe Dark Knight” might not have beaten “Slumdog Millionaire” in last year’s Oscar race, but it would’ve been interesting to see it given a chance.  And “Iron Man” versus “Doubt?”  Many would’ve chosen the Golden Avenger.  Now we will get to see these types of matchups since the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has expanded the best picture field to 10.

Of course, even with the expansion, some movies will still never have a chance in this category (“Watchmen,” probably way too polarizing), and aside from a couple of crowd- and critic-pleasers, many may not have the quality to compete. But as this news gently wafts over the awards world, we wonder how it can/will benefit the fanboy community.

– Jevon Phillips

Dark Knight Joker poster Heath Ledger’s Oscar will not go to his parents after all

“The Dark Knight” snubbed in Oscar race

Oscar shocker: There will be 10 best picture nominees next year

Michael Bay’s $75-million payday for ‘Transformers’

Leonard Nimoy: ‘Star Trek’ fans can be scary

Is ‘Watchmen’ the ‘Fight Club’ of superhero films?

Counting down to ‘Harry Potter’

Comments

27 Responses to ‘Potter,’ ‘Avatar’ or ‘Star Trek’: What fanboy film might get a best picture nod?

1. Petra says:

I think Harry Potter will be rewarded when the last movies will come out. Not just now. Just as with Lord of the Rings.

2. Rod says:

If New Moon gets so much as a nomination it will prove that the Oscars are fixed

3. MPNeeb says:

Somebody is votebombing- there's no way Harry Potter or Star Trek has a better shot at a Best Pic nod than UP (and I like Star Trek).
    Oddly, no love for Ponyo from Miyazaki?

4. StevenH says:

I think Star Trek does have a good possibility for a Best Picture? I mean, why not? It has a 95% approval rating in Rotten Tomatoes, whereas Slumdog Millionaire (last year's winner) had a 94%.
    UP definitely has the leg's up in the competition though, the same way Beauty and the Beast got the Best Pic nod back in its day. But I agree: Star Trek should get a nod. It was fun and smart entertainment unlike that mediocre and mindless action we get nowadays like Terminator Salvation or Transformers II: Revenge of the Fallen.

5. Mike says:

With past ratings of the show a wreck
    The Academy said 'hey, what the heck."
    The fanboys we'll tease.
    Tune-in guys, please,
    To see an Oscar for Trek.

6. Celia says:

Since there are now Ten spots…from what I've seen of the Harry Potter 6 movie so far I think it could definitely be considered for a nomination (if not Best Picture then definitely Special effects or Art Direction). But out of this list…the sure bets are Pixar's "UP" and "Star Trek."

7. Kat says:

Might I point out that Avatar is not even OUT yet…thus how are we to know if it is actually as amazing as it appears it's going to be? I'm excited to see it, but that doesn't necessarily mean it warrants an academy award just for appearing enticing.

8. SPENCER says:

Without a doubt, SIN NOMBRE, should get a shot, at least for Best Foreign Film nom. It's a thriller that speaks to the soul instead of boring the audience to death, a defect in many films about illegal immigration.

9. Brandon says:

Harry Potter isn't even out yet so how would we know if its good enough, the same thing goes with Avatar. New moon shouldn't even get close to being nominated.
    All I'm sure is that Harry Potter has a good chance in Special Effects.
    I think like someone already said that when both parts of HP7 comes out it will win best picture because seriously the book was amazing and the director said they are staying true for the last 2 films, so why not.

10. Deb says:

I think Star Trek should definitely be considered. Even though the Oscars are and always have been a joke, Star Trek is one of the most intelligent and entertaining Sci-fi/fantasy genre movies I have ever seen. The writing, acting and directing were all top notch and the story was character driven rather than special effects driven as is the norm. It deserves more than just a sound editing nod or some other trivial award that these type movies usually receive. If it is nominated, it will only be for the purpose of a ratings boost I'm aware of that, but if it was overlooked for something like Transformers or Terminator, then heaven help the academy!

11. Celia says:

I think out of Harry Potter, Star Trek, and UP. They ALL will be nominated in various categories, but I think the one that has the biggest chance of winning an Oscar is UP in the animated category. Harry Potter and Star Trek don't have much competition yet, but it's really early in the year and all the "Oscar" movies usually come out later in the year.

12. Zara says:

New Moon?Are you serious,I too think that if New Moon does nominated then the Oscars are fixed.Star Trek?Perhaps,it was very entertaining..well just plain good.I also agree that Harry Potter will win best screenplay once the last 2 movies come out.They've been working with the movies for nearly ten years if I'm correct and if they do keep follow the stay true to the last movies I think it well be amazing.

13. aaziii says:

HARRY POTTER RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. dylan says:

awesome my favorie harry potter movie

15. cherry says:

if new moon so much as get's nominated, i'll end up killing someone. i mean that.
    My bets are on Star Trek for it was a wonderful movie.
    HBP was really good but it's not HP's time to shine at the Oscars. Yet.

16. Erin says:

i voted HP cuz I want it to win, but avatar will prob get up there…seeing how the dude from titanic directed it and he has had this idea since like 98' and was just waiting for technoloy to catch up with him

17. Sammy says:

New Moon? Really? That's pathetic. It shouldn't have even been published, let alone made into a movie.
    I voted Harry Potter because it was the best of the lot, but I don't think that just because it's a major film franchise it SHOULD get an oscar nom – even for the seventh movie(s).
    Although with the amount of acting talent in it, it needs some sort of recognition!!!

18. Matt says:

Harry Potter HBP doesn't have an Oscar shot (at least not Best Picture). While it was an enjoyable summer film, it's nowhere near Oscar material. Up has a good shot for being nominated, but I doubt if an animated film will ever actually win. I think Avatar actually has a good chance of winning awards, seeing as the last movie Cameron released was nominated for and won the most Oscars ever.

19. MARITZA says:

STAR TREK!

20. Fernando Barbosa says:

I think Star Trek that it not a big movie, but is begining
    of honest serial movie.

21. fortunefox says:

Avatar, hands down. It will win Oscars, the question is how many.

22. Supersoldier says:

I too would rather that the Potter-World movies ended up getting Academy Awards instead of the atrocious twilight sequels, because Lord Of The Rings has the justification to get the awards instead of the first Potter-World movies, but twilight…not so much, for the most part.
    That said, if and when The Lightning Thief comes out, i hope that The Lightning Thief would even get more Academy and Saturn Awards than Eclipse would have gained, except maybe for best director, agreed?

23. eric says:

James Cameron's Avatar by a mile. and here are his threats
    OUT
    David Yates: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
    J.J. Abrams : Star Trek
    Sam Raimi: Drag Me To Hell
    Zack Snyder: Watchmen
    IN
    Katheryn Bigelow: The Hurt Locker
    Quentin Tarantino: Inglourious Basterds
    Lee Daniels: Precious
    Jason Reitman: Up In The Air
    Is Inglourious Basterds a fanboy movie?

24. eric says:

Avatar will only win Best Picture if wars with Germany and Iraq start tiring everyone out

25. bricela says:

i hope so

26. Aziza says:

are you kiddin' OF COURSE i am voting for Harry Potter!

yours sincerily,Aziza