Captain America will be a USO performer in the movie, director says

Feb. 07, 2010 | 12:30 a.m.

SPOILER ALERT: THIS POST REVEALS SEVERAL PLOT POINTS IN THE CAPTAIN AMERICA FILM

Captain America

It’s one thing to take Batman off the comic-book page and make his costume still look good in a live-action feature, but Captain America presents a far bigger challenge — the hero is essentially a walking flag, which might leave many average moviegoers giggling instead of saluting.

But director Joe Johnston and the team at Marvel Studios have a plan for “The First Avenger: Captain America,” which is due in Summer 2011: They’ve added a new wrinkle to the classic mythology to explain why a scientifically enhanced super-soldier would venture out in the WWII battlefields in a costume that leans a bit heavy on the old Betsy Ross imagery.

“The costume is a flag, but the way we’re getting around that is we have Steve Rogers forced into the USO circuit. After he’s made into this super-soldier, they decide they can’t send him into combat and risk him getting killed. He’s the only one and they can’t make more. So they say, ‘You’re going to be in this USO show’ and they give him a flag suit. He can’t wait to get out of it.”

Captain america 193

That’s a whole new concept and it’s one that sounds pretty promising. “It was never in the comics,” Johnston said, “because they didn’t really need it. In comics, he puts on the costume and the reader just justifies because of the nature of the medium.”

Johnston told me all this when we sat down for lunch today at the Four Seasons Hotel. For an hour we chatted about his new film, “The Wolfman” (which you can read about next week right here at the Hero Complex) but I had to ask him a bit about the Captain America production.  Filming starts in London at the end of June. “There’s a lot of work we have to do on it,” the 59-year-old director said.

And who will wear the costume and carry the shield? “Well, we’re testing five or six guys,” Johnston said. “The youngest is 23, the oldest is 32. Most of the guys in the war are just kids, 18 or 19, but we want to go a little bit older. We have to have somebody locked in before I leave March 1 for London.”

A challenge, he said, is finding an actor that can play scenes as “98-pound-weakling” Steve Rogers and also pull off the brawny hero scenes, although some visual effects wizardry will come into play. Johnson has plenty of experience on that front as the director of “Jumanji,”  “Honey, I Shrunk the Kids” and “Jurassic Park III” He also had art director credits on major Lucasfilm projects, including “Raiders of the Lost Ark” and “The Empire Strikes Back.”

Johnston also directed “The Rocketeer,” an underrated 1991 film based on the retro-hero created by the late great Dave Stevens. I asked Johnston if he thought the vintage flair of that film might have caught the eye of the Marvel brain trust as they looked around for a filmmaker to handle a 1940s action movie.

“I think it’s probably possible that it was an influence,” he said. “I think they were looking for somebody that could handle the visual effects. I think that was a big part of it. And with visual effects, all you really need to know is what is possible. And these days, actually, that’s almost anything. Not everything is affordable, but almost everything is approachable.”

Captain America Reborn

I wanted to come back to the idea of Steve Rogers as a reluctant performer with United Services Organizations, which famously brought Bob Hope and other entertainers to morale-boosting events for troops overseas.

“So he’s up on stage doing songs and dances with chorus girls and he can’t wait to get out and really fight. When he does go AWOL, he covers up the suit but then, after a few things happen, he realizes that this uniform allows him to lead. By then, he’s become a star in the public mind and a symbol. The guys get behind him because he embodies something special.”

There will be more than one costume in the film, too.

In the first USO sequences, the frustrated patriot will be wearing a version that is closer to the classic Jack Kirby-designed costume, but then later as the super-soldier hits the war zone he will be wearing a sturdier, more muted version that he makes himself that is more like battle togs. The stripes across his mid-section, for instance, will be straps, not colored fabric.

“He realizes the value of the uniform symbols but he modifies his suit and adds some armor, it will be closer to the Cpa costume in some of the comics in more recent years . . . this approach, it’s the only way we could justify ever seeing him on a screen in tights, with the funny boots and everything. The government essentially puts him up there as a living comic-book character and he rips it off and then reclaims some of its imagery after he recognizes the value of it. We think it’s the best way to keep the costume and explain it at the same time.”

— Geoff Boucher

Stan Lee signs Captain America

Why is Stan Lee signing Jack Kirby’s artwork?

“Daredevil” gets another Hollywood chance

“Sgt. Rock” film won’t be a WWII setting

Jack Kirby’s heirs put Hollywood on notice

Leterrier’s dream: Four “Avengers” films, one summer

Marvel is on a mission in Hollywood

Hammer time: Chris Hemsworth as “Thor”

ART: Marvel Comics

Comments

58 Responses to Captain America will be a USO performer in the movie, director says

1. Peter Lange says:

Wow, I have to say, it is sooo comforting to learn that. First there was the 1970s Captain America movie where they turned Cap into a cross between Daredevil and Evil Knievel. Then there was the late 80s Captain America movie where he became the pudgy cap. Now, we get the USO performer cap. For a minute there I was begining to think all film renditions of Captain America were destined to be lame…….
    excuse me while I go cry.

2. arcee says:

Hear that?
    That's the @#$& storm this director has just unleashed when the fans start to get wind of this "USO performer" spin.
    My advice Johnston, for what's it's worth, quit this project now and take another picture while you still can.
    BTW, I liked Rocketeer.

3. Bucky says:

This is a terrible idea.
    He willingly became a volunteer to drink an experimental serum. If it didn't work, he would've DIED. Fortunately it did and he became a super soldier — finally able to join the Army, and help defeat Hilter.
    Rogers isn't ashamed to wear an American flag. This is the wrong way to go. Totally disheartening .

4. Aaron Duran says:

I truly enjoy the directors work (especially if he can capture some of the Rocketeer's "gee whiz" theme in Captain America).
    That being said, putting Cap in the USO because "the suit looks cheesy" is a stupid idea.
    Captain America is SUPPOSED to look like a walking target to the enemy.
    That was the point. His symbolism inspires the US troops for the same reason it stuck fear into the heart of the enemy… Even dressed as a walking Red, White, & Blue target… You can't stop him. Good will always defeat Evil. Period. That's Captain America.
    These characters endure because of their symbolism and connection to our need for myths. Mess with that and you fail.

5. Paul says:

Worked with Joe on Hidalgo, Class act. Joe and Shelly Johnson, the DP, are a great team that are making stunningly visual films together and I'm sure they will do an awesome job on Captain America.

6. J Smith says:

Sounds BADASS!

7. Matthew Brock says:

Man, i get sick of reading all of the complaining 'Fans' do before they even see a single frame of a movie. Why not wait and see how it is done

8. Warner Brown says:

Sounds awesome, need an intern Joe?
    I like the approach with the reason for the costume otherwise it would just feel silly and unrealistic. Why else in the world would someone wear that costume unless they weren't performing?

9. Cobalt-Blue says:

One more Marvel character they're butchering. They still won't get my money to see it. Not until Qesada and everyone responsible for Civil War and killing Cap have been driven out of the business. I sincerely hope the whole division that is now part of the Mouse, goes belly up.

10. JFMagin says:

Epic fail on so many levels. Did Johnston even read the story, in any of it's incarnations? Even the Ultimates cap would do. This is more like a Joel Shumacher Cap. What next, a Bette Midler Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy theme song to go with? They didn't want to "waste" Cap, they wanted him to waste Nazis. I love how he is being turned into a commodity by Johnston, and not an asset. Fans are going to rip this to shreds Wolverine style..

11. USMC says:

What a pathetic story idea.
    Here's a quick story: Steve Rogers is in NYC when 9/11 happens. He's a volunteer rescue worker but his lings get damaged by all the smoke and debris. Tries to join the Marines but is denied because of his frail condition.
    The recruiter is former Recon and admires his love for Country and through some back door connections introduces him to some "black ops" folks.
    He volunteers for the Super Soldier program and becomes Captain America.
    His suit is armored scales and his colors are bright as hell. He parachutes into his missions and raids terrorist hideouts. The suit then becomes something fearful.
    Only a bad a$$ parachutes into an enemy stronghold by HIMSELF with a bright red, white and blue suit and wins. The suit is to mock the enemy and show the strength of America.
    The Red Skull is a terrorist super soldier.
    Tell me this isn't more compelling than the BS this Johnson is pushing?

12. ArchiesBoy says:

Superman, Batman & Robin, Iron Man, Spiderman, The Hulk, The X Men, and on and on and on. Now that we have enough cinematic computer power to create literally anything on the silver screen and make it look absolutely believable, there's no limit.
    What distresses me is that adults — real grownups — are supposed to have outgrown comic books and the black/white attitudes they contain. But the appearance of comic book figures in the movies only proves to me that Americans are in a rapidly accelerating dumb-down spiral that shows no signs of stopping, only getting worse.

13. Brian says:

Hollywood wins again.

14. KyleRayner1 says:

You guys are missing what is being said., he's not wearing the suit first as a would be hero., he's wears it when he's assigned to the USO show., (as part of the show a costume).. I can totally see it.,
    The people who made him can't send him into the war because he the only "one" so they assign him to a USO show..(although I don't see why they would assign him to a USO show instead of keeping him some government facility trying to reproduce hime)… anyway.. He hates the costume and probably the show he's in ( because he would rather be fighting the war)., when he goes AWOL., He does it in while wearing the suit., It make sense.. I doubt the government would put their super solider in such a laughable non functional costume like that in the first place. It make sense that Steve finds that it inspires people after the fact… and then decides to keep up and update it
    By the way I loved the Rocketeer!! "The Rocka Who?" I think Joel Johnson is the right director for this film and can't wait. He delivered the right gee whiz appeal that Cap needs for the first act !!!

15. SutureSelf says:

Captain America wore the flag costume out of pride in America – it was in his name, for crying out loud – not in embarrassment. It is telling that the director finds the iconic costume something to "get around" rather than to celebrate. That Captain America – Captain AMERICA – can't wait to get out of an American flag costume is just another small incision in the death by a thousand cuts that have led so many people to believe that Hollywood and the mainstream media in general are anti-American. How else can a Captain America who is embarrassed to be in the costume be explained? And it seems to be a simple given in the director's mind that the costume is something that SHOULD be gotten around, as though embarrassment to wrap yourself in the flag were a natural condition during WWII or now.
    The very idea that the powers that be would not let a super soldier onto the battlefield is so preposterous as to defy comment. It's like saying "Let's not use this great new plane; it might get shot down." That they can't "make more" is irrelevant. If they don't use the one they may as well have made none.

16. longbowhunter says:

This is a really stupid idea. Hollywood wastes so much time and story potential trying to "justify" what works in the comics instead of just telling the story…same thing in the Batman movies where Morgan Freeman has to explain where Batman gets his toys…nobody cares. Just show Cap in his classic outfit beating the hell out of Nazis and drop this sad USO nonsense…Having Cap be ashamed of his outfit just reeks of Hollywood meddling. You can do better….

17. I think this USO performer thing would not matter that much. For as long as the effects of the movie is good, fight scenes great, Cap will do good in theaters.
    And Johnston is a very good director, me thinks… Watch The Wolfman

18. Jim says:

Oh, fanboys, sack up. This is a good idea. If you had your way every superhero movie would look like Smallville: Absolute Justice.

19. jrm says:

USO. Okay, I see that they don't want to make any money on this one.
    The costume frightens them off…come on. Unlike now in the 1940s they actually wanted us to win wars and were patriotic about it. Damn. I wonder if this Captain America will have to address the don't ask/ don't tell policy.

20. Rob says:

Joe Johnston needed to realize that one of Captain America's greatest fighting assets is speed. Captain America can move and hit any enemy very fast and is very agile in combat fighting, with his adamantium-based shield protecting him from bullets and grenades. The Nazis would have little chance of surviving his fighting onslaught, they could keep shooting him with machine guns and they still get knocked out cold in a flash by Cap's dodging skills. That's how Jack Kirby drew Captain America that way: screaming ugly face Nazis getting shellshocked by Cap!
    Speed, Joe, speed. Captain America is very fast and very agile. Only the Red Skull could match Cap equally.

21. Player says:

How is it a good idea? "We've made the ultimate super soldier. But we don't want to get him killed so instead he'll entertain the troops. Genius!" Believe it or not, not everyone who complains is a fanboy. Some people just don't like the idea of having such an idiotic plot point to justify his costume. By the way, why does his costume need to be justified? It's a superhero movie. It's about guys in costumes fighting crime. I will never understand this sudden urge to inject "realism" into everything. All it seems to do is add plot holes.

• dude says:

Did you have a problem with spider-man as a wrestler? Honestly I didn't mind it, and besides they kept the villains pretty cartoony, they just figured they'd have some fun with spidey as a struggling ordinary Joe who happens on the whole costume thing by accident. I feel like they're going for the same here.

22. AC says:

Best not to brainstorm with your group of clueless, completely out-of-touch, drunk/stoned, low-intellect Hollywood "guy buddies" when trying to develop a movie script. Maybe you should have some relatively normal people tell you what to do, instead?
    In case you're still unclear: this Cap as a USO performer is a bad idea.

23. Horse says:

Horrible idea.
    Try again.

24. Faustus Mitternacht says:

I'm neutral until I see what the movie is like. If its bad, sorta like the others were, it'll soon be forgotten. If its good, there will be more.

25. Hectorr.... says:

wow thats crazy, if they could give me a chance just one chance to be an actor and be Captain America. I just hate the fact that everytime there is a comic hero a famous actor gets the chance to be and at the end they suck. My opinion is that they try so hard. They try to be the Character other than be the Character . ( Robert Downey Jr.) Iron Man is the only actor I seen in my opinion that keeps the character real..

26. Kevin says:

I'm excited about the movie, but afraid they won't pull it off. We live in a world where Star Trek cant say "Where no man has gone before", Superman can't say "Truth, justice, and the American way", how are they gonna have the guts to do a Captain America?! I hope they do get the guts. This is still and will always be the greatest country in the history of the world. I will hope for the best.

27. coeyagi says:

I forgot, all of you are world-reknowned screenwriters, directors and producers.
    Look, geniuses, if you want it to be campy, fine. And watch the grosses make Gigli look like Avatar by comparison.
    It really isn't it a bad idea if you have to come up with some reason to explain it. I mean, is the military really going to make Cap a big painted target?
    Before you get on here again, think about how foolish any of your comments are going to be and just resign yourselves to creative mediocrity for the rest of your miserable lives.

28. Trav says:

I'd like to know why every time a superhero movie is made, there have to be concessions. I mean, Spidey, The X-Men, The Forgettable Four… Even the new Iron Man has Stark not being Stark so he's more 'PC'…
    I've been a Captain America fan since I was a kid, and this idea is garbage. Cap is proud to be in that costume and would give his life in a heartbeat to uphold what it represents. I had held out hope that this movie was going to be awesome, and let slide the bad choices of past Marvel hero movies, but the idea of him being a sideshow, rather than the main event is appalling to me.
    Sad thing is, I loved The Rocketeer… Can't make good movies all the time I guess…

29. Darren says:

I am unsure about this. Seriously, what's the point of having a super soldier who isn't a soldier? How does having your best weapon touring on stage reassure the troops? How does anybody know he's really super and not just a propaganda tool – all his amazing feats are staged and so on?
    I always though that the character was like a living version of the Haka. He's clearly distinguishable because you want the Germans to know he's coming – let them try and knock him down.
    Ah well.

30. Sal says:

What the hell is is crap???????? This isnt Capt!!!!
    How hard is it:
    skinny kid recruited for super soldier program
    kills nazi's will side Buckey
    gets frozen
    thawed out
    Avergers
    KICKS ASS
    disdisillusionment (see early Nomad)
    back in action
    Civil War
    Dies
    Siege
    HOW HARD IS IT!

31. Sitrom1970 says:

Well here we go again, it seems that this director is a fan of the 1970's A-List Crapper Captain America movies! I am so fucking tired of directors taking Iconic characters and legendary comics looks and deciding that it is not good enough for the fans or people who don't know the character( and don't give two shits anyway about him!) I am a Captain America fan and I am going to go postal if they screw up his look because the director is a total DICK! about colors! Look at Spider-man and see that the iconic look is a money maker! And I am not happy about Captain America singing on stage and dancing like some kind of idiot!

32. Stephen Hirst says:

Captain America does not sing and dance with chorus girls. Period. Find a better way to explain the costume, or suffer total internet annihilation. Marvel is producing this, right? How could this awful idea even be on the table?
    I'm not exactly heartened to hear that this guy brought us "JP 3" and "Jumanji." But the Rocketeer was, admittedly, pretty cool.

33. joe says:

im sorry, all you nay sayers need to open your mind. The USO idea is a great idea. how else would they make a movie thats is supposed to feel like reality with a guy that has a shield in WW2 machine guns and bazookas and little white wings on his head. COME ON!!! not all comic costumes work on film, period. take the new smallville with the justice society, those costumes are identical to the books and it had to be the most lamest thing i have ever seen. for god sake take a look at the cap costume from the late 80's movie, it was basically the comicbook costume and it looked cheesy on film. the USO idea is a great idea, Forcing him to wear tights and still give the fanboys the original costume.
    you guys cant get everything you want, so just deal with it.

34. Check out Shon Lange as he works at landing the lead role for the new upcoming Marvel Movie "Captain America" in 2011. Blog, Twitter, Facebook, MySpace and Post "SHON LANGE IS CAPTAIN AMERICA" If you don’t believe me that Shon is the right actor to play this role, just judge for yourself after watching the promo real http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMhgVgCpolY

35. Phil says:

So the producers think Kirby's uniform is just a joke show prop? Is there any way you can alienate the fan base any further?

36. Beta says:

First you kill off Cap. Tell us he's dead. Then you bring him back. Why? Most likely because of the outcries. Cap means a lot to a LOT of us. Now you allow THIS crap to happen? WTH Marvel? Please tell me this is the earliest April Fool's joke you could think of. This is TERRIBLE. I hope someone is fired over this.
    What a crock!

37. Faith says:

This is ridiculous. Why would they send him out to entertain the troops? If they weren't using him on the front, they'd study him in an attempt to duplicate him.
    "it will be closer to the Cpa costume in some of the comics in more recent years" – this sounds like they're using Bucky!Cap's costume. Ugh.
    This is just going to make Cap ridiculous, and the knock on effect of that will damage the Avengers film. How very disappointing.

38. GridMasterOne says:

Hi ALL
    To WHOMEVER posted the $#*! storm comment I couldn't agree more! because YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT now for those out there who NEED or WANT PROOF that HE/SHE that is amongst the ones that state It's A Bad Idea Etc well then in regards to this & ANY, ALL other Marvel along with other assorted "Adaptation(s)" etc I highly recommend checking out "Super Hero Hype" http://www.superherohype.com in fact I cannot EMPHASIZE ENOUGH how important it is 'Cause even the industry folks etc check it out!!. in fact they got the POINT w/Iron Man of course WILL be at Comic-Con 2010, am getting message out any which way I can heck might even go Talk Radio out of LA!.

39. Rian says:

So many people are dooing sooo much complaining, however this director is actually keeping with quite a few of the more recent incarnations of Cap's story line. Cap does start out as a small guy with alot of quality morals and pride in his country. He becomes the super soldier and learns to do battle, but because the experiment was sooo expensive, the creator of the experiment gets assassinated, and Cap is THE ABSOLUTE ONLY ONE, the government makes him a figure head to boost moral,so not to loose him in actual battle. Though Steve Rogers, who ademently wants to be a soldier just goes AWOL and joins the real fight in WWII. This sounds like a pretty close rendition to the Cap stories I've read!

40. David says:

Hopefully this will be action-packed like an Indiana Jones classic film.

41. Sean says:

When Captain America throws his mighty shield,
    All those who chose to oppose his shield must yield.
    If he’s led to a fight and a duel is due,
    Then the red and white and the blue’ll come throughLyrics to the Captain America Theme!
    When Captain America throws his mighty shield,
    All those who chose to oppose his shield must yield.
    If he’s led to a fight and a duel is due,
    Then the red and white and the blue’ll come through
    When Captain America throws his mighty shield.
    When Captain America throws his mighty shield.

42. Brett says:

I'd like to think that this will still be a good Cap movie, despite Johnston's completely unnecessary concerns over the believability of the costume. He's worried about suspension of disbelief. By the time the costume is introduced, the audience will have bought that a scrawny, 4-F kid is given a drug and it turns him into a bodybuilder with incredible agility, and they'll next buy a guy whose either wearing a skull helmet or whose face actually resembles a red skull, but the audience will not buy Cap's original costume?
    Does the USO shtick mean we'll get a cameo from a guy in a really bad makeup job to try and resemble Bob Hope, like the truly awful "Richard Nixon" from "Watchmen"? (I liked "Watchmen," by the way, but seeing that horrible Nixon makeup in an IMAX theater really turned my stomach.)
    Oh, and Joe? I really liked "Rocketeer." You stayed pretty faithful to the comic book in that one, except for the whole Howard Hughes thing, and that substitution was understandable and it worked. But you didn't mess with the costume. Turn it into red, white & blue armor, like the movie Batman's black armor instead of grey tights, if you must, but don't mute those terrific colors or give us some "interpretation" of the costume. "Superman Returns" showed us that altering the color scheme of a classic costume contributes to poor box office and critical drubbing. Don't be that director.

43. Mike Chat says:

I got Taylor Lautner his start and I have another up and coming actor James Ryen who was just cast in THOR would be awesome as Namor!

44. ThunderMonkey says:

I may be in the rare minority, but I'm okay with this idea (for some odd reason). It seems more organic to an origin story than some others of late. We have to remember Steve really wanted to fight for his country. First he was dismissed because he was undersized, then (according to this story) he after he became a super soldier he's denied again.
    Putting someone on display like a showpiece sounds something like the U.S. Government would do to help promote its war effort. (Not like that's been done before. /snark)

45. duh says:

"Steve Rogers is a proud American, who tried multiple times to join the Army. Because of his scrawny built though, he kept getting rejected."
    –Posted by: Bucky | February 06, 2010 at 07:49 PM
    Exactly the point. He got rejected. So, he tried to get in again. Best thing he could get into was the USO, being the scrawny guy that he is. He probably volunteered for the experiment thinking this is his chance to get to fight, but then gets turned into a glorified mascot by the government. In a world where a fictional entity like SHIELD exists this makes sense. He's too valuable to die. But him being the hero that he is, finds a way to go fight anyway. It's not that he's ashamed to wear the flag, he just turned his USO costume into battle gear, and KEPT the flag motif knowing what the flag means. He's PROUD to wear the flag. Imagine the costume design in ULTIMATE CAP.

46. Lifelong Cap Fan says:

The first comic I remember reading was Avengers #4. I've seen a dozen re-tellings of the Cap origin story. The best explanation for the suit is that it was designed as battle armor. It is consistent with the Shield. The "scales" in the yoke of the shirt are an advanced, fully articulated version of chain mail. the star on the chest is an armored plate. The stripes are also articulated and armored. The shield itself is made of a fictional alloy containing a rare ore called Vibranium that is found only in a mountain in Wakanda, home T'challa, prince of Wakanda, also known as the Black Panther; it is indestructible and energy-absorbing.
    This same material can be used in the torso armor for flexibility. Or the writers can eschew the whole modern high-tech thing and make it very heavy leather (since the serum gave Cap superhuman strength. Think of a mix of World War 2 era combat dress and comic-book-tech medieval armor.
    Not impressed with the USO performer story, Cap always operated undercover as serviceman Steve Rogers and was placed by his pentagon handlers in various jobs as "cover" for his missions, or just dropped in behind enemy lines. But it does save time on back story and such. There was also a Marvel series set in WW2 called the Invaders that has Captain America and Bucky, The Sub-Mariner, the original Human Torch and others who fought Axis villians like Baron Zemo and the Red Skull.

47. maduceone says:

Captain America!? If this trend continues, I, for one, want a frathouse version of these films for the hungover demographic. One where the '60's Tony Auth keg swallowing take on Captain America – Captain 4Q – could be the centerpiece along with "heroized" versions of the still-valid stereotypes found on college campuses nationwide! Hilarious! The Animal House of comic books. Go for it Hollywood!

48. Don't Screw this up says:

Captain America has been butchered in every movie I have seen. Cap is the character and spirit of America, it is a tall order and they are worried about his suit. I have high hopes for this movie, but the idea of cap not liking the stars and strips goes against the core idea. The actor has got to be able to carrying the movie with out looking like a fool. This character was a favorite of mine and helped to instill pride in this country. When I read this comic book America was in a gas crisis and a recession, sound familiar?
    That was 30 years ago. Don't screw this up Hollywood. You have never got Captain America in the last 2 or 3 attempts. Read the books and understand the Captain before you start messing with the story. Cap came forward in time to then the present day. He is a leader personified and not a side show act.

49. Tiffany Y. says:

NIce try Mr. Johnston, but after seeing the pictures of what you've butchered Captain America's costume into being for the sake of your "realism" and your attempt to rationalize the decision I have lost any excitement I've harbored for this movie's creation since I heard about it 2 years ago. Read the arguments of people above who oppose your decision to alter the background history of Captain America. They make fantastically reasonable points. If you think his uniform is lame, you clearly haven't seen the other ridiculous ones the comic book universe has thrown out there. Way to ruin a symbol you jackass. I hope this movie goes the same route as Ang Lee's Incredible Hulk.

50. [...] to an interview with the LA Times Hero Complex and Captain America: The First Avenger director Joe Johnston, Cap will be a USO performer in the [...]

51. Brian says:

Wow. Fanboys have to eat a little crow and admit they got this one wrong. Sometimes, it does pay to wait it out and see what they are doing…

I've seen Cap twice, and I think the USO angle was brilliant. Everything about this movie was adapted perfectly.

Fanboys should know better – to panic only when they hear weird news about a superhero movie and it's a DC Comics movie… Marvel's track record is much better.

52. Frank says:

It was funny reading the comments bash the USO idea only to see what we ended up with: a very fun and excellent action film.

I can imagine reacting the same way had I known about the USO bit before watching the movie but it was one of the best parts in the entire film. I’ve seen Captain America three times son far with many more to come. I love it!

53. For the Haters says:

Jokes on you haters. The movie was pretty good and…….Uh oh……. The USO thing tied in nicely.. There is a reason these guys make the big bucks and all you do in complain.

54. hi!,I really like your writing very so much! share we communicate extra approximately your article on AOL? I require an expert on this house to unravel my problem. Maybe that is you! Taking a look forward to look you.