Daniel Radcliffe in ‘The Hobbit’? ‘Thanks, but no thanks,’ says the star

Aug. 18, 2009 | 12:57 p.m.

EXCLUSIVE

Daniel Radcliffe looking up

Who will star as Bilbo Baggins inThe Hobbit“? You can cross one name off the list: Daniel Radcliffe, of “Harry Potter” fame, says he has no interest in any new project with “any wizards in it.”

“I’d have to say, ‘Thanks but no thanks,’ not that anyone has asked me,” the 20-year-old actor told me last week in England. “Honestly, I don’t think they would want me anyway, it’s just too close. Whatever I do next, I don’t think there will be any wizards in it!”

Radcliffe is now at work on the seventh and eighth films in the “Potter” franchise, and by the 2011 release of the last film in the series, he will have spent more than a decade inhabiting the role of the orphaned boy wizard. The sixth “Potter” film, released in the U.S. on July 15, is closing in on $830 million in worldwide box office. The collective franchise is now north of $5.3 billion in global box office.

Radcliffe is one of several names that has popped up again and again as fans chew on the casting challenge for “The Hobbit,” the two-film companion piece to the massively successful “Lord of the Rings” franchise. Oscar-winning “Rings” director Peter Jackson is back as a producer this time, and Guillermo del Toro (“Pan’s Labyrinth,” “Hellboy“) is in as director. “The Hobbit” is planned as a $300-million project with releases in 2011 and 2012.

In a recent reader poll here at the Hero Complex, there were more than 5,700 votes cast, and Radcliffe came in third behind James McAvoy (“Atonement“) and David Tennant (“Doctor Who“) as the best choice to play the itinerant Bilbo. Radcliffe says he casts his own ballot for Scottish actor McAvoy.

“James McAvoy is fantastic. I think he should play it. I’ve done the fantasy-film thing. Actually, so has he, with the ‘Chronicles of Narnia,’ of course. But I’ve done it for longer. He can take over. I’m done. I don’t think anybody involved in that would want me to, either.”

– Geoff Boucher

Photo: Warner Bros.

Daneil Radcliffe and Ruper Grint 2000

RARE PHOTO: The day Harry met Ron

Daniel Radcliffe says Hogwarts was his school of acting

Prepare for the Del Toro Decade

SCOOP: David Yates reveals where he will split “Deathly Hallows”

Travesty: The Tolkien family made zilch off of ‘Rings’ films

Comments

11 Responses to Daniel Radcliffe in ‘The Hobbit’? ‘Thanks, but no thanks,’ says the star

1. dennis says:

thats too bad radcliffe doesnt want to do the hobbit. i think doing it will actually break his pigeonholing as harry potter even though its another fantasy movie because lord of the rings is a completely new franchise. its like someone playing batman and superman. one will break the audience's image of the former since they occupy two different worlds. AND he will get major props from a new section of an important audience – young males – that will propel him into the next phase of his career. i know i'd love to see him as bilbo.

2. sobriquet87 says:

James McAvoy would be awesome in that role. But then again so would Dan, but I can definitely see where he's coming from. Despite his uncanny resemblance to Elijah Wood (Frodo)…Dan's probably ready to do something new. And the Hobbit will be filming for a long time since they're splitting it into two movies.
    But I love Dan's interviews!!

3. Ellen says:

Nice article! :) I think it's a wise choice on his part. :) I love David Tennant, though I think I'm leaning more toward James McAvoy as Bilbo… tough call though…

4. Helen says:

I agree with Dan as it will typecast him as just a fantazy actor, he's a very talented actor who has a great career ahead of him.
    I have seen him in December boys and a boy called Jack and I was very impressed. Good luck Dan in everything you chose to do in the future.

5. linda says:

i love dan.

6. mrs potter says:

how can he say that he's not going to act in anything that has wizads in it i mean he is famous for being a wizard in harry potter i don't even know if that makes sense.:( i'm terrified

7. rea lykah says:

Daniel is such a good actar and he is so cute!!!

8. HarryP_freak says:

Thank god. I love both books, but seeing Dan…with another long white-beard wizard? No. That wouldn't be The Hobbit. I would just be thinking of Harry and Dumbledore the whole time.

9. David says:

I have not seen any of The Potter films or read any of the books!! Guess I need to rent them all one day and have a marathon!

10. Rich Van Ort says:

I think it's really best for him to stay away from hobbit

11. nnvmdfnv,fvmfd says:

you very sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssweet