Edward Norton: ‘Hulk is bigger than all of us’

July 12, 2010 | 10:01 p.m.
Edward Norton Hulk Bruce Banner 2008

Hero Complex reported yesterday that Marvel Studios dropped Ed Norton from its “Avengers” movie plans. Now Norton is telling his side of the story. Here’s his statement, as posted Monday on his Facebook page:

“As most of you know, I don’t like to talk much about the business of making movies because it means a lot to me to protect the audience’s fullest enjoyment of the ‘magic’ that films can have.

But I am so appreciative of the outpouring of support from fans of the Hulk and the Avengers that I feel it would be rude not to respond. So here goes: It seems it won’t work out for me to continue playing Bruce Banner for Marvel in ‘The Avengers.’

I sincerely hoped it could happen and be great for everyone, but it hasn’t turned out as we all hoped. I know this is disappointing to many people and that makes me sad. But I am very sincerely grateful to Marvel for extending the offer and even more so for giving me the chance to be a [part] of the Hulk’s long and excellent history.

And I really can’t thank the fans enough for how much enthusiasm you’ve sent my way about what Louis [Leterrier] and I tried to do in our turn with the legend. It means a lot to me. I grew up with Banner and Hulk and have been a fan of every incarnation. I’m really proud, and very blessed, to have been one of them and will be thrilled to see him live on through other actors. Hulk is bigger than all of us, that’s why we love him, right?”

– Jevon Phillips

Hulk

Marvel drops Norton — maybe they don’t like him when he’s angry

Branagh hammers away at nasty “Thor” rumors

Marvel gave Don Cheadle five hours to decide on Rhodey role

Anthony Hopkins on the ruthless charm of Odin

Captain America will be a USO performer in movie

Chris Evans will carry the shield of Captain America

Stark Expo will link “Iron Man 2″ and “Captain America”

Photo: Edward Norton in “Incredible Hulk” (Universal and Marvel Studios).

Comments

21 Responses to Edward Norton: ‘Hulk is bigger than all of us’

1. alex says:

I wonder what the crowd reaction to Kevin Feige at comic-con will be like? ill be there and im excited to see what goes down the crowd may turn on the guy

2. Good response from Mr. Norton. I'm not a huge Hulk fan but certainly felt his performance topped Bana's. I was really looking forward to seeing him in again in the forthcoming Avengers flick but c'est la vie.

3. JayGee says:

I can't say that I've been Edward Norton's biggest fan, but I appreciate his effort here.

4. zombie_hands says:

I'm confused don't you have to be hired for something to be "fired"? Edward is totally a class act for his response. I'm glad he took the high road and was a professional in his response. Edward takes his work seriously. A lot of hollywood actors just do it for the check and will read a phone book if needed.

5. Ger Dony says:

Wow. I couldn't care less about any of these comic books or comic book based movies. That said, way to go Ed. A very high road classy response.

6. Adriel says:

Ed you are one of the best actors. I know u will get better offers than this :)

7. gsnider says:

i am one of his fans and this is as classy a response as i have ever heard. way to go mr norton

8. gsnider says:

the deal with roman polanski just proves that as long as you have money you can get away with anything. charisma also helps but the money is the real thing.
    when are we going to take the molesting of young girls as terrible as it truly is.

9. johnny says:

firs nick fury miscassed as samuel jackson (who i love in other films), then captain america miscassed as chris evans, now ed norton dropped as incredible hulk. must be the new disney takeover has everyone at marvel dropping the ball.

10. Bernie says:

To Marvel Studios…..big mistake! No one will play that part the way Ed did. Mr. Norton bigger and better things are headed your way..

11. Brett says:

There's always at least three sides to every story. In this case, there's Marvel's side, Norton's side, and the truth. I doubt Norton was as good spirited and magnanimous in his discussions with the producers and director as he was in his post-announcement Facebook letter. On the other hand, Marvel's Feige really should have kept his mouth shut, unless he was worried that Norton or his agent would tell the press that their disagreement was over money and he was concerned (after the whole Terrence Howard situation in "Iron Man 2") that Marvel would gain a reputation amoung actors for being cheap. Badly handled by Marvel, but I don't think Norton's entirely blameless in this situation.

12. James says:

Edward Norton is one of the rare ones. He is classy and does not want to be dragged into studio drama, which this is. The studios always like to blame the actor's ego for their own short comings and problems. Though many times the actors ego is an issue, I don't think that is the case with Edward.

13. Will J says:

Ed Norton, always the class act. Marvel, never the class act. Ed, don't let this get you down man. You've walked away with a whole bunch more fans because of it and I know that I personally am so on your side in this whole Avengers thing. I'm sad I won't being seeing you hulk out again on screen, since "The incredible hulk" is one of my fav. superhero movies. You will be missed Mr. Norton, you will be missed.

14. JohnRJ08 says:

Ed, Louis Letterrier was the director of "The Incredible Hulk". There were also writers, directors of photography and special effects teams. As the lead actor in the film, you played a key part in the production, BUT you were not the director or the screenwriter. There were dozens of other well-known actors who also could have shined in that role. What you did was let your galaxy-sized ego hijack the production. You insisted on re-writing almost every line of dialogue, making it different but not necessarily better, and you told the director how to direct your scenes. You're a smart guy, Ed, and a gifted actor. But your out-sized opinion of yourself and your importance would derail any ensemble film you were cast in. Simply put, casting you as the Hulk in the new Avengers film would have been a formula for disaster and ensured a painful and frustrating experience for everybody else involved in the production, including the other actors. Your past behavior on other sets is the reason you lost this part and I think that members of the crew who will work on Avengers are grateful that Feige and Marvel had the courage to drop you from the film.

15. Paleta Fresca says:

Good for you, Ed. You're still one of the finest actors working today and a credit to the business side of Hollywood.

16. Tim says:

Norton's response shows he is a class act. Marvel's announcement was rude and could have been worded much better. It came off as an attack to me.
    I will not be seeing The Avengers if Norton is not in it.

17. HY says:

I loved Edward as Bruce Banner. He was amazing. I was looking forward to seeing him in the Avengers, shame that is now not going to happen.
    Edward is a class act. A classy response, Marvel should be ashamed of themselves !!!

18. ju2tin says:

A class act all the way. Nice job, Ed.

19. Eugene says:

In response to the first comment: someone called him out on the Norton thing during audience questions. There was mumbling on stage, and he went "well as Norton said, the Hulk is bigger than all of us", and then there was booing and the crowd got a bit ugly for a minute. But then they settled down. Because even though it's a retarded decision, it's still just a superhero movie.

20. NickWC says:

I think that we’ll see less people like Bruce banner less since Edward Norton is no long playing him witch I think is a big mistake on Marvels part.

21. big al says:

I wonder if Marvel reads or cares what their fan's think. I read several past comments and wanted to add this. If you grew up watching both Bill Busby and Lou Ferrigno making the Hulk come to life (I did) zthen chances are you felt Mr Ed Norton did a fantastic job as did Marvel with their 08 movie. I l'amour sorry Mr Ruffalo but you and your Hulk look awful 2 me so I too can only hope marvel reconsiders their bad move to let Mr Norton go….