‘Family Guy’ does not underestimate the power of The Force

May 22, 2010 | 5:48 p.m.

I finally got around to looking inside one of the “Star Wars” gift bags that were handed out the other night at the 30th anniversary screening of The Empire Strikes Back at the ArcLight Hollywood and smiled when I found the “Family Guy” postcard below.

Dark_Side_Postcard_FINAL_Front

I’m told Fox had these postcards made up for Comic-Con International but decided to hand some out early at the Lucasfilm screening of “Empire,” which was a fund-raiser for St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.

On Sunday, “Family Guy” will air its one-hour season finale with a slightly skewed retelling of “Empire” in “Something Something Something Dark Side, Parts 1 and 2,” which promises to be ridiculous, ribald and deeply offensive in that special “Family Guy” way.

Seth MacFarlane and his crew will continue on with “We Have a Bad Feeling About This,” a spoof of Return of the Jedi.” Here’s a some footage of a table read for that upcoming foolishness…

– Geoff Boucher

Empire 30Harrison Ford returns to “Star Wars” universe…for one night

VINTAGE VIDEO: Ford and Hamill on “Today” show in 1980

Chewie and Han Solo reunion at the ArcLight

ELSEWHERE: Lucasfilm launches “The Empire Gives Back

Darth Vader for TomTom GPS: “Bear left, to the Dark Side”

Yucks with Yoda? New “Star Wars” comedy show

VIDEO: ‘Star Wars’ and Ke$ha? May the Farce be with you

Lucas asked David Lynch to direct “Return of the Jedi”

VIDEO: The tale of “Star Wars,” as explained by a 3-year-old

The Rancor interviewed about his “grudge” against George Lucas

“Family Guy” images: Fox

Clicking on Green Links will take you to a third-party e-commerce site. These sites are not operated by the Los Angeles Times. The Times Editorial staff is not involved in any way with Green Links or with these third-party sites.

Comments

6 Responses to ‘Family Guy’ does not underestimate the power of The Force

1. JW says:

One other quick observation: Isn't it getting a little out of hand when the only way Lucasfilms seems to be able to make money on this nowadays is by spoofing it and turning it into one big joke?

2. Geoff Boucher says:

This week was the 30th aniversary of "Empire," a movie that I do love, so yeah I was writing about "Star Wars" a lot.
    Also, the Ford event kind of tied up my interest. I'm just one guy, it's hard to do 10 things at once.
    But instead of being defensive I'd like to say I appreciate your interest and the constructive criticism.
    This "Star Wars" post was pretty much the end of it, anyway, the notebook is empty. Sorry if it was too much.
    I have stuff this upcoming week with Kenneth Branagh, William Shatner, Michael Richardson and some news I can't talk about yet.

3. Alice says:

I just happened to come across "Star Wars" on TV this weekend on it's 30th anniversary, and I have to say, watching real-life droids wandering the majestic landscape of a desert planet seems so much more magical, cinematic speaking, than the CGI overload stuff we see so much today, such as "Avatar". I liked "Avatar", but it's just doesn't hold the same magic and child-like wonder that I feel when watching "Star Wars".
    I love what "Family Guy" is doing with Star Wars, and I can't wait for the trilogy to be complete!

4. JW says:

OK, OK, I'll back off — I just got serious "Star Wars" fatigue. There's just SO MUCH happening that's new and exciting, and I read about alot of it through your blog so I appreciate that. I try not to be too much of a "Star Wars" hater, but I have to say that for me it was all downhill really fast after "Empire." Nothing has been a greater disappointment to me than watching "The Phantom Menace," and it is always stunning to me how much people will overlook what a truly, genuinely awful (or at least hugely disappointing) movie. But more than that the attitude from Lucas has always been "Well, the people who don't like it don't get it." Maybe we do. Maybe he just should have quit while he was ahead, and it colors my entire perception of everything related to "Star Wars".
    "Trek" never really let me down. Some films are better than others, some episodes are better than others, but there's a genuine core to it that has never wavered.
    "BSG" showed what imagination can do.
    "Lost" presents a new mythology (that, to my mind, is way too reverential at times to "Star Wars") and does it in a spectacular way.
    Thanks for letting me rant and not deleting my entry. That was cool of you… and you even responded! THANKS!

5. JW says:

I get that you like "Star Wars," I really, really do. But it's becoming a little overwhelming now. There's SO MUCH MORE in pop culture, geek culture, fandom, etc. "Star Wars" is old and feeling really tired. I don't know how much more I can take of everyone getting down on their knees to worship a 30 year old movie. Yes, "The Empire Strikes Back" was very good. Yes, "Star Wars" was very good. The other movies, not so much. George Lucas made "Howard the Duck" and "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" and "The Ewok Movie" (whatever it was called). Now, let's move on.
    Why not spend more time exploring what's happening to Marvel with the merger (I know you have done so recently)?
    Why not spend some time looking at the programming on Syfy, the improving network with the worst name ever?
    How about exploring what's happening with "Harry Potter" as the next movie and the new theme park draw near?
    What about "Star Trek"? Haven't seen mention of the upcoming 70mm festival — or, strangely, very much about your own film festival, not with "Star Wars" getting in the way!
    A "Star Wars" feature a day (or so it seems) is getting long in the tooth, Mr. Boucher. I understand your passion for it, but what's going to happen when the 30th anniversary of "Return of the Jedi" comes around? Weeks worth of talking about how the Leia/Luke thing REALLY WASN'T THAT BAD? Or defending the indefensible Ewoks? Oh, and 2012 is the 10th anniversary of "Attack of the Clones." Can't get around that one, can you?
    So, yes yes, "Star Wars" is all well and good, but there is just sooo much more to life than that. I don't really care to spend the rest of my "fan days" looking backward at this when there's so much more exciting stuff happening NOW.
    And just understand: I love your blog but… I've actually never been that fond of "Star Wars" truth to tell. So can you recognize that SOME of your readers kind of start yawning when every time we log on here there's another "Star Wars" post? So I'll end the rant now. Thanks for listening.

6. laugh says:

well I thought it was damned funny, no matter what JW says.
    :-))