Frazetta children put down their swords in $20-million art dispute

April 23, 2010 | 10:31 p.m.

The AP has an update on the Frazetta family quarrel that had put the aging artist — and his $20-million art collection – in a difficult and vulnerable place.

Frazetta 1973

Fantasy artist Frank Frazetta’s children have brought their bitter dispute over his estate and artwork to an end, according to a statement from the family issued Friday.

The feud came to light in December when Frazetta’s son was caught breaking into his father’s Pennysylvania home using a backhoe.

Frank Frazetta Jr., 52, said he was trying to take his father’s $20-million collection of art to safeguard it from his siblings.

The family has asked that theft charges against the younger Frazetta be dropped now that they have come to a settlement.

Frank Frazetta, 82, maintains a small museum of his work on a farm in the Pocono Mountains of Pennsylvania.

The pioneering fantasy artist created comics and book covers throughout his career, including images of Sheba, Conan the Barbarian and Tarzan. He also created album covers for musicians such as Nazareth and Molly Hatchet.

Frazetta’s four children have been squabbling over his estate since the death of their mother in July 2009. Frazetta himself has suffered from a series of small strokes that impaired his ability to draw.

Billy, Holly and Heidi Frazetta sued their brother Frank Frazetta Jr. in Pennsylvania after the backhoe incident, claiming he was trying to sell their father’s art for commercial gain. They claimed to hold a company that has full control of rights for his work.

Frank Frazetta

 

Frazetta Jr. countersued in Lee County, Fla., last week, saying his brother and sisters had plotted to cut him out of his father’s estate since their mother’s death. It was their “grand scheme … to take over the Frazetta business, close the museum [and sell off the art], and leave Frank Jr. with nothing,” the Florida suit said.

But the siblings were able to work things out over two days of mediation in Scranton.

“Frank Frazetta is pleased to announce that all of the litigation surrounding his family and his art has been resolved. All of Frank’s children will now be working together as a team to promote his remarkable collection of images that has inspired people for decades,” the statement said.

A final decision on the theft charges will be up to county prosecutors.

RECENT AND RELATED

Conan poster

John Milius on “Conan”:No one wants their movie remade”

The curious case of two barbarians: Conan and Ratner

Can “The Hobbit” escape the “Rings” shadow?

“The Hobbit” is just the beginning of del Toro Decade

Artist at work: Adam Byrne conjurs up Lovecraft

Dean Haspiel and Bolly Dogma’s broken heart

Darwyn Cooke and Donald Westlake pull off perfect crime

Top: One of Frank Frazetta’s signature pieces. (Frank Frazetta) Middle: Frank Frazetta, circa 2003, courtesy of Lance Laspina and “Frazetta: Painting with Fire.” Bottom: “Conan the Barbarian” poster.

Comments


5 Responses to Frazetta children put down their swords in $20-million art dispute

  1. JC says:

    A bunch of no talent leeches sucking the life out of a half decent artist. Pathetic.

  2. Tim says:

    Good art. Spoiled brats.

  3. james says:

    Per your article Mr. Frazetta can still draw but now with his left hand.

  4. Jack C NYC says:

    money is G-d in America.

  5. Juancho T. Dizon says:

    the hell's happening to them?!
    it's really sad to know this happening to an icon…a personal hero of mine

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title="" rel=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <pre> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

Close
E-mail It
Powered by ShareThis