Hero Complex will host ‘Avatar’ screening with James Cameron and film’s stars

Nov. 27, 2009 | 6:51 p.m.

“AVATAR” COUNTDOWN: 22 DAYS

Our countdown coverage continues today with a bit of “Avatar” news that has is especially exciting for us here at the Hero Complex

James Cameron and Sigourney Weaver

Moviegoers everywhere will be able to see “Avatar” on Dec. 18 but the best place to see it that day will be at Grauman’s Chinese Theatre in Hollywood, where director James Cameron and stars Sam Worthington, Sigourney Weaver and Zoe Saldaña will attend the screening and then be interviewed on stage by Hero Complex blogger Geoff Boucher.

The event is part of the awards-season screening series by the Los Angeles Times and The Envelope. You can find the full schedule of films and stage discussions right here. “Avatar” will be shown at 7:30 and the stage portion of the evening will begin afterward.

Zoe and Sam

Check back here early next week for information on how to get tickets for the free event. First-chance opportunity for seating is for Hollywood guild members and Academy voters, but fans will be admitted into every screening as well. (There’s more information on the screening series attendance policies here.)

Also, for this special night for sci-fi fans, Boucher will be picking some Hero Complex readers to attend the “Avatar” screening and have reserved seats waiting for them; interested fans just need to leave a message explaining why they want to see the  movie in the Hero Complex comments section and Boucher will pick from the most interesting or clever responses.

Boucher also interviewed director Henry Selick after a Nov. 2 screening of “Coraline” and will be handling the stage duties at two other upcoming Envelope screenings, both at the Landmark Theatre: “Crazy Heart” on Dec. 1 (with a panel of Jeff Bridges, Robert Duvall, Maggie Gyllenhaal and Scott Cooper), and “Up” on Dec. 14 (with director and writer Pete Docter).

6a00d8341c630a53ef0120a6752427970c 200wi Hero Complex will host Avatar screening with James Cameron and films stars

Jim Cameron vs. Robert Zemeckis? The inside scoop on the rivalry

Txantstewä Fpìlfya — that’s how you say Hero Complex in Na’vi

“Avatar” as innovator: “We were in new territory … there was no road”

Jim Cameron, cinema prophet? “Moving a mountain is nothing”

Avatar: The Game will follow its own path through the alien jungle

Sam Worthington looks for the humanity of “Avatar”: “I don’t want to be a cartoon”

Giovanni Ribisi loves Jim Cameron

James Cameron on “Avatar”: Like “Matrix,” it opens doorways

“Avatar” star Zoe Saldana says the movie will match the hype: “This is big”

Welcome to the jungle: Mixed reaction to “Avatar” trailer

Peter Jackson: Movie fans are fed up with the lack of original ideas

Comments

22 Responses to Hero Complex will host ‘Avatar’ screening with James Cameron and film’s stars

1. Brandon says:

Why do I want to see Avatar? Because of one man. I'll give you a hint. His initials are J. C. and it ain't Jesus Christ (although to many people he might as well be).
    Too many of my childhood film heroes have lost their mojo, and I desperately want at least one of them to keep the flame of quality movie magic burning. I want Cameron to hit this out of the park and show Speilberg and Lucas that being old doesn't mean you can't be hungry for pushing the envelope anymore, to really make movies something to lose yourself in again. I want the magic back, and Avatar looks like it just may bring it.

2. I've been creating films and have always wanted to be a director for about 6 years now (I'm 20 years old). The past two years I have been studying film/video editing in New York and I now am studying in Seattle. What got me into to film-making was science fiction films specifically Kubrick's 2001, and I have tremendous respect for James Cameron who continues to tell powerful stories in ways/techniques never seen/done before. He's a true innovator.
    Ever since I heard about Avatar about 2 years ago my mind has been fixated on it. These past few weeks have been especially hard because of all the new footage that has been making its way on the net (don't want to see anything before the movie). I wouldn't say I'm poor, but I don't exactly have cash lying around, but that hasn't stopped me from going to every 3D theater in my local area to see which will be best for the 18th. I've seen Robert Zemeckis's "A Christmas Carol" four times in the past week for christs sake! (not to say I didn't enjoy it), but I’m not exactly the biggest fan when it comes to the Christmas season haha. It would be a dream come true to watch Avatar for the first time in an environment such as this and I also want to thank this blog for all the interviews/articles on Avatar in the past weeks (has certainly helped the days go by). I hope this doesn’t sound too much like “begging” and I’m sure there will be some more “clever” responses then this, but I don’t really know of any other way to show how thankful/grateful I would be to see/attend this at the premier. I’m honestly just happy to have a new Cameron film coming out so soon at all. Hopefully this does well at the box office so we maybe get a trilogy and Jim can do Battle Angel the way he wants.

3. Jose Francis says:

I would like to challenge the business axiom and prove there's such a thing as a free lunch.

4. Adam says:

Why do I deserve to go to the screening instead of all other talkbackers? Because unlike all the other talkback comments, I'm not Tom Arnold trying to get another crack at being within an earshot of Cameron through alias names.
    In all seriousness though, Cameron has been my favourite director before I even knew what a director was. I watched Terminator 2 on VHS at 5 years old in '92 and that is the best gift my father could have ever given me. I'm 22 now and have finished studying film and it is all thanks to Iron Jim.

5. Domenico Salvaggio says:

Besides being a colossal Cameron fan, December 18th is the 5 year anniversary of my marriage to my lovely wife Kathy. We got married in December because we were expecting a child (Sofia almost 5 years old now ). It was a bit of a shotgun wedding and I would love to impress my Wife with premiere tickets to the film directed by the guy who directed her favorite film of all time TITANIC.
    It would be the ultimate 5th anniversary gift to my darling wife.
    Thanks.
    Dom

6. Gian 'jon' says:

Well there has not been a real scifi epic for a while now and there probably never will be again. Still people like cameron try again and again entertaining us. Thats why I want to see this movie to be entertained and to possibly meet the man that manages to do this over and over again; because eventhough this probably will not be epic it sure is FUN to watch Cameron try(well that is his job and what a great job it usually is)

7. Joshua Rule says:

Don't get me wrong, I adore James Cameron, this man gave us True Lies! But if the Matrix Revolutions and the Battle for Terra had a drunken one-night stand I would assume this is what their baby would look like. But I could be wrong. Oh, and it doesn't hurt that Sam Worthington & Uhura will be there!

8. Emily says:

I am a ten foot tall blue woman, and until I heard about this movie, I had given up on finding love. This movie has given me new hope, and it would be very special for me to be able to see it with the creator…
    Umm…okay, this is a bit like writing a college application essay or a cover letter for a job! There’s almost nothing I can think of to say that doesn’t sound completely fake. To be honest, I have a very simple reason for wanting to see this movie: although I don’t quite understand it, I am more excited about this movie than I have been about anything in entertainment for a long time. I’m not even the prime target for this: I’m a 31-year-old female, and I love stories of all types, but I’ve never particularly cared about aliens or gunships or big trailer-ready battle sequences on their own. However, when I see the previews of Neytiri and the Jake Avatar flying through Pandora, I want to get lost in that world. I want to have a real experience when I go to the theater, and if this movie is at all good, it might provide that. It’s time to be swept away by a big James Horner score, stunning visuals, exciting new actors, perhaps a bit of romance…and seeing the movie with the people who made it, and other people who are as excited as I am, will make it even more special.

9. Eddy says:

I'll never forget catching "Terminator 2" on opening night. I was a young nineteen year old and there was nothing more to look forward to on the big screen than watching Schwarzenegger's promise of "I'll be back." I couldn't imagine being any closer to the action too, since my friends and I were all stuck in the front row. Just the thought of it, still brings back a phantom pain in my neck and a wide-eyed excitement in my imagination. Not only did Cameron's movie exceed expectations, it also made me a life-long fan.
    A few short years later, that same excitement returned with "True Lies" and another opening night screening, but this time I had much better seats.
    I didn't see "Titanic" on opening night, but it was just as memorable, because I watched it with my parents who had their own emotional responses to the 3 hour-plus film; my mom cried and my dad fell asleep.
    I have yet to see a movie in 3-D or at Grauman's Chinese Theatre, let alone meet James Cameron and the cast of the movie, but wherever I see "Avatar" on opening night, I'm sure it'll be another one to remember.
    -Eddy

10. Todd says:

Avatar will go down in history as one of those rare landmark events that change the motion picture industry. To experience a small part of that with 'The James' in the audience would be simply surreal.

11. John Heynes says:

I love movies.Watching Avatar in Grauman's Chinese Theatre with James Cameron and the cast, would be a dream come true. I have been following the news on Avatar since i first heard about it. I have watched the first teaser trailer, but i have avoided any other trailers because i want to go to Pandora knowing as little as possibe.
    I know Avatar is going to change cinema as we know it. I have never looked forward to a any movie more than Avatar,and i know it will live up to all my expectations. I know this because i know who was in charge.James Cameron.As an aspiring filmmaker he is my hero.I even liked Piranha 2.
    It has been a long time since any movie has excited me.There have been a lot of good movies out lately,but nothing like Avatar.Being able to be in Grauman's Chinese Theatre, on opening night,with Avatar's filmmaker and cast, when the lights dim, would be an experience i will be telling my grandchildren about.
    Being able to catch a glimpse of a girl as beautiful as Zoe Saldaña would be pretty good too.

12. Mog says:

Oh wow, do I want do attend this screening! I have two close friends working on the film. One actually moved in with me (in West LA) when production moved to the Fox lot to shorten his commute. I've been hearing snippets about the film and the production for three years, and keeping the fridge full of beer for three weeks, for the 1am wind-down after a long day on the production.
    I'm just one among the hundreds (thousands?) of friends and family members who have supported their loved ones through sometimes-hectic, sometimes-grueling work schedules.
    Unfortunately, one friend working on the film moved to NZ to work for Weta (after his time at Avatar was up) and the other will be out of town immediately after the Cast and Crew screening! I'd dearly love to see the movie with film geeks and true fans. So, when do we find out how to score tickets to the Chinese Theater screening???!!!

13. T.C. says:

I've been following this project for some dozen years, starting back in the mid-90s when Jim was trying to develop the technology with Digital Domain. I remember being blown away by the original "Terminator" when I first saw it on the big screen way back in 1984 (having tagged along with some older kids) and Jim immediately became my favorite filmmaker. Then came "Aliens," which I must have seen at least a dozen times in the theater, including opening day. Since then, I've made it a point to see every single Jim Cameron movie on the big screen on opening day, including "T2" at the Cinerama Dome (way before the Arclight was built) and "Titanic" at the Chinese back in 1997. I'd love to share the "Avatar" experience on opening day with a crowd of fellow true fans! (And bring my brother, who loves this stuff as much as I do!).

14. Zeke Uribe says:

I've been looking forward to this movie for a long, long time…seeing a screening with James Cameron and the cast would be incredible, especially since going to the movies has been a once-a-year treat for my wife and I since we got married! Thankfully I have managed to arrange leave with my Command and a babysitter for my daughters to watch this movie with my wife the day it comes out, but seeing it at Grauman's Chinese Theatre would definitely be an unbeatable experience!
    My anticipation for "Avatar" is higher than it has been for any other movie that I can remember. I must have the watched the "Thanator Chase" scene 20 times, and showed it and the trailer to everyone I can. I listen to the one minute sample music 0n loop because I really do enjoy it that much. And just today, I took my kids to Borders and saw a copy of the "Avatar Survival Guide" that just came out. I was pretty blown away by the depth of the culture of the Na'vi and the history of the RDA, the design of the creatures and fauna, etc. I had to put it down, however, to avoid spoiling myself with too much of that dream world, Pandora, before I see it in the movie.

15. R says:

"Because my wife and I work entirely too much and are in desperate need of a fun night out. So here's hoping — and THANK YOU for the opportunity."

16. James Cameron has been my favorite director since I was 10 years old, when my dad brought home the VHS rental of "The Terminator" and told me that I absolutely had to watch it, even though it was rated R. I didn't know who James Cameron was at that point, and I wasn't even aware that directors were responsible for films, but T1 instantly became my top film. Then I saw "Aliens" with my uncle the following summer, "Abyss" with my mom a few years later. Then T2, when I was 16, and I finally took note of his name. I sat there in the theatre, watching the first screening of T2 that summer of 1991, and I knew that I wanted to be a filmmaker, a writer-director, and that James Cameron was my hero, and that he had been my hero for many years without me even knowing it. That was a powerful moment. Since "Titanic," I've gotten sucked into the real world, college, then a career, and I've lost the drive to be a filmmaker. Cameron took a hiatus from narrative filmmaking, and I took a hiatus from my dreams. But I'm only 34, and my life's far from over, and I'm ready to seize my life-long goal of being a director, and nothing would jump-start that goal more than seeing "Avatar" at Grauman's with Cameron himself. That would be an incredible and potentially life-changing experience.

17. Mike d'Amboise says:

Well, guess this is a long shot (especially since I'm late to the party) but nothing ventured right?
    I'm actually, not a LA native, or a California resident at all. I will be traveling from NYC to LA just to take a shot at being admitted into the premier…Okay, so that's not entirely true…I've been planning a trip to LA to see a west coast friend for some time now, BUT the weekend I'm going to be in town is the weekend of the premier. Kismet? I think so! All I need is a little help getting in to the movie I've been dying to see and this could be the best vacation of all time!

18. Kristopher Klimczak says:

I have been fascinated by movies ever since I could first open my eyes. Movies are art and James Cameron is like Da Vinci with a camera. He has already painted several masterpieces and I believe "Avatar" will be yet another example of his brilliant directing and storytelling. I, myself, am 17 years old and wish to, some day, be as talented a director as Cameron is. Cameron has proved himself on numerous occasions to produce excellent movies such as Terminator 1 and 2, Aliens, and Titanic (all of which are personal favorites of mine). His ability to combine ingenious storytelling with remarkable visual effects is unmatched. I wish to see "Avatar" because I believe Cameron will deliver another movie that will nail every aspect of a motion picture. Furthermore, to be able to have the opportunity to witness "Avatar" at Grauman's Chinese Theatre in the same room as the people who created it would be a privelege.

19. Steve G says:

In 1978, while working for a very small commercial production outfit, I showed some people at Kodak in Rochester the demo reel of a company that had made computer animations for the Pentagon. I remember telling the Kodak people, "Soon they will be making a clear bubble for a 7-Up ad." They were as impressed as I was.
    31 years later, I still want to see where that bubble went.

20. Emily says:

Were these tickets awarded to anyone yet? Does anyone know? I sadly just got the e-mail that non-guild members have no chance to get into this screening without them…depressing…
    Seriously, I need a boyfriend, and I'm pretty sure that these tickets will at least get me a date. Help a girl out here! I kid, I kid…but I really can't wait to see the movie. Have fun, those of you who do get to go to this!

21. Jake says:

Tomorrow is the screening!
    Geoff, when are you going to let us know who are the winners of the reserved seats?

22. Geoff Boucher says:

Jake, all winners were contacted directly. I only had 10 seats. The Guild response was overwhelming for this event and, for obvious reasons, the studio wants those voters in the seats.