‘Inception,’ the only movie that matters?

May 09, 2010 | 9:04 p.m.

“The only movie that matters.”

That’s what I called “Inception” when I dropped by the KTLA morning show the other day to talk about the rest of 2010 from Hollywood. I didn’t plan on that description — it just kind of came out — but I’m not going to back off of it now. I can honestly say there is no movie that I’m more eager to see, and (based on the script and the footage I’ve seen) I sure wouldn’t bet against this movie picking up an Oscar for the best picture of 2010.

Here’s the latest trailer for the July 16 Warner Bros. and Legendary Pictures release — and the first one that really starts to explain the premise of the Christopher Nolan thriller.

It turns out I’m not the only one intrigued by the prospect of Nolan’s dream-time crime: Flixster says that more than a million responses from moviegoers have been tabulated and that the just-opened “Iron Man” and “Inception” ranked at the top of the “most-anticipated” list of summer movies. That’s amazing considering Warner Bros. and the producers of “Inception” have been taking the semi-stealth approach to marketing for months.

If you want to know more about “Inception,” check out my story from the London set. And keep checking back here…

– Geoff Boucher

Inception poster

“Inception”: DiCaprio inspired by “complex and ambiguous” script

Bigger than Batman: Nolan takes on “Inception”

SCOOP: Nolan breaks silence on Superman and Batman

“Inception” hits the streets of downtown L.A.

Forget crossovers: Nolan says his Batman doesn’t play well with others

Nolan on his billion-dollar Batman: “It’s mystifying to me”

Mel Gibson says Viking film (with DiCaprio) may be his last

24 FRAMES: Nolan and Abrams trailers, under lock and key

Raimi’s Spider-Man regrets: “I would have done everything differently”

Comments

10 Responses to ‘Inception,’ the only movie that matters?

1. Bryan B. says:

I must say I'm as excited about this film as you are, Geoff. Chris and Emma seem comfortable taking their existential premises to higher levels than we've ever seen on screen before.
    I agree that it will be the Best Picture of 2010 yet it doesn't necessarily need a gold Oscar statuette to confirm that fact.

2. mike says:

i totally agree. this is the only movie i plan to see in the theaters this summer.

3. psykomyko says:

I couldn't agree more, but I don't think it will win Best Pic, the Oscars are just plain stupid. I would love it though if it did.

4. michael says:

the original matrix was ghost in the shell.
    This is nothing like matrix

5. theodore says:

looking at the comments it's clear now the actual movies don't even matter anymore. People have already decided this film is a masterpiece from the marketing. You guys are like brainless sheep. All that matters is hype and box office. Just look at your comments and this idiot journalist is no better. No wonder we are having the worst films ever in the last ten years. People get what they deserve.

6. DRM says:

Theodore,
    I generally agree with your comment but the journalist has read the script, which means he's a lot more informed on the quality of the story than any of us including you.

7. DoOrDie says:

Theodore, no one is saying this is masterpiece. Nolan has a golden track record. Unlike any other filmmaker of recent years, he hasn't made a bad movie yet. Or worse, a boring one.
    His team has proven they will make very complete movies that refuse to insult the intelligence of the audience. I say "complete" to refer to every aspect in a project can go wrong that Nolan and Co. seem to always get right.
    Inception could be a exception. We can't wait to see. That's the point. We're excited.
    Plus we, we fans and moviegoers alike, will be the first to jump down Syncopy's throat if this movie sucks. If a Nolan movie sucked, that would not only be disappointing but traumatic.