James Cameron on ‘Avatar’: Like ‘Matrix,’ ‘This movie is a doorway’

Aug. 10, 2009 | 5:24 p.m.

EXCLUSIVE: PART 1 of the HERO COMPLEX interview

“Go ahead, fire away, I’m your guy.” That’s the first thing James Cameron said to me, and I had to smile – I certainly had plenty to ask him about. I had just sat down and watched about 35 minutes of footage from “Avatar” and, to put it bluntly, I was dazzled. I saw more footage than fans at Comic-Con International (I saw, for instance, a tense scene toward the end of the film as Sam Worthington’s character, Jake Sully, is made a prisoner on the alien world of Pandora) and even found out how the film ends (don’t worry, no spoilers here). But let’s get to it — this is Part 1 of the Hero Complex interview with Oscar-winner Cameron, the 54-year-old Canadian filmmaker whose 20th Century Fox sci-fi epic “Avatar” reaches theaters on Dec. 18.

James Cameron on Avatar set

GB: Jim, congratulations on the film, it’s very, very compelling. I’m excited to see it in its entirety and even more excited to talk to you about it.

JC: Well, thanks; I’m really glad you liked it. And that’s what we were hoping for. We’ve been working like crazy on this for a long time. And what we want is for people to like it, so that’s nice to hear.

GB: I have to say it was refreshing to see a big, special effects film that was not based on a bestselling novel, a comic book, toy, old television show. That’s rare these days, and it’s a treat to go in, sit down and have no idea where the plot and the characters were going to go.

JC: It’s simultaneously one of the great strengths and one of the potential weaknesses. We have no brand value. We have to create that brand value. “Avatar” means something to that group of fans that know this film is coming, but to the other 99% of the public it’s a nonsense word and we have to hope we can educate them. Well, I shouldn’t say a nonsense word – it doesn’t mean anything specific in terms of a brand association. And in fact there may be even a slight negative one because more people know about the Saturday morning cartoon, the anime, than about this particular film. We’ve got to create that [brand] from scratch. On the other hand, ultimately, it is probably the film’s greatest strength in the long run. We’ve had these big, money-making franchise films for a long time, “Star Trek” and “Star Wars,” you know, “Harry Potter,” and there’s a certain sort of comfort factor in that; you know what you’re going to get. But there’s no kind of shock of the new that’s possible with that. It’s been a while since something that took us on a journey, something that grabbed us by the lapels and dragged us out the door and took us on a journey of surprise.

GB: “The Matrix” immediately springs to mind…

JC: Yes, yes, that’s a very, very good example. That’s something where we had no real way of knowing what that film was going to be about and it really just took us on a great ride.

GB: And like “The Matrix,” this movie presents this immersive experience. The alien world and the technology you’re using to tell the story, it’s a big movie .

JC: The story is told very much from character. You go on Jake’s journey with him. It actually starts quite small. It starts close to him, in his apartment with him, and it just expands and expands in scope as it goes along.

GB: I smiled at the “You’re not in Kansas anymore” line when the main character reaches the alien world. There really is this “Wizard of Oz” sense of transportation when the story reaches the planet of Pandora.

JC: Yeah. It’s my favorite movie; I had to get it in there somewhere. The production designer was Rick Carter, who actually played that out. He thought how it was, in some ways, like Dorothy’s journey. I didn’t quite get as much of that [when I first wrote it]. You do things sometimes as a writer subconsciously, things you’re not even aware of. I’m always comfortable doing things instinctively because I see it as taping into this vein of archetype that works for a broader audience base. I don’t question what I’m doing if it feels right. There might be some other references there I might not be aware of.

GB: You wrote the first script for this film almost 15 years ago. While you were waiting for technology to reach the point where it could be made, I’m curious how much of that very earliest story remained intact.

JC: I had to rework to make it possible. My treatment was so expansive and novelistic that it needed to be necked down just to make it something that could be done on the screen. This film is done on an epic scale, but it’s done within the parameters of a Hollywood movie. What I found is that instead a script I had written the outline of a novel, and it was just too much story, too much back story, too many secondary characters … but look, sometimes lightning just strikes; you have write everything down, get it done. Better to weed it out later and not miss an idea. It was essentially the longest script, in terms of the amount of time it took me to get a workable draft. The first time I tried, it ended up being more than 200 pages, so I had to go back and throw out big chunks, a lot of ideas went out. But I have to say the essence of all the big ideas stayed and I felt pretty good about that.

GB: The heritage of the project and the mystery of it, since it’s not an adaptation, have created this fairly intense interest among the fanboy sector. That was obvious with the interest leading up to Comic-Con International. Do you feel you have to win fans over now to create the sort of success you want for this movie?

JC: I think there are no real negatives because we aren’t going to get prejudged like “Watchmen” or even a Batman or Spider-Man movie because you don’t have all that history and that huge, brand-based mythology that you have to live up to. We aren’t going to piss anybody off because they don’t know what this thing is. Nobody read the novel, nobody read the graphic novel, we’re not going to be playing against expectation. They aren’t going to be viewing us as a disappointment or letdown before the movie even starts. This is a doorway and they don’t know what’s on the other side. We’re going to open it for them.

There are a lot of fans of this kind of science fiction and fantasy film, and I think it’s pretty fertile soil for us. I don’t want to sound like, you know, ‘Pride goeth before the fall,” or too much hubris, but I think we get those fans to support this. I think our greater challenge is the wider public, which isn’t as predisposed to embrace the movie like those fantasy and sci-fi fans. We need to talk to that audience and make them believe that this is a must-see even if they aren’t sci-fi fans. And I’m not putting down Comic-Con fans. When I go down there I’m among my peeps. It’s a great place to unveil “Avatar.”

– Geoff Boucher

James Cameron brings “Avatar” to Comic-Con

VIDEO: “Avatar” interviews with Sigourney Weaver and Jon Landau

The hype machine for “Avatar” is starting early

Peter Jackson: Movie fans are fed up with the lack of original ideas

VOTE: “Avatar”? “Star Trek”? “Up”? Which fanboy film has Oscars shot?

Christopher Nolan on his favorite scene in “The Dark Knight”

The del Toro Decade? Guillermo on “The Hobbit” and four other films

H.P. Lovecraft and Hollywood, an unholy alliance?

Tim Burton talks! The Hero Complex interviews

The late Stan Winston and the tricky business of Legacy

Photo: Cameron on the set of ‘”Avatar.” Credit: Mark Fellman / Associated Press for 20th Century-Fox

Comments

15 Responses to James Cameron on ‘Avatar’: Like ‘Matrix,’ ‘This movie is a doorway’

1. Lieut. Ripley says:

Awesome interview, man! Can't wait to read the rest. But are you sure that old Avatar teaser isn't bogus? That's what I had heard.

2. Shletten says:

I don't know why he put this teaser, it's fanmade. Anyway, really great interview! I can't wait for part 2.

3. Bryan B says:

I like the fact that Jim Cameron is saying "we're not going to be playing against expectation". In a way, it takes some of the pressure off the need to top the box office bonanza he accomplished with "Titanic".
    That being said, I know how hard he must've pushed his crew and the FX team to achieve results that exceeded his own personal expectations. Based on what folks who've worked with him have said in the past (Abyss, Terminator 2, etc.), the pressure is always on to accomplish what's never been done before. Personally, I'm really looking forward to seeing "Avatar" and feel it will be a terrific experience.

4. jbrian says:

Great opening question: "Jim, congratulations on the film, it’s very, very compelling. I'm excited to see it in its entirety and even more excited to talk to you about it."
    How about getting down on one knee and kissing his ring? Or putting on some brown lipstick? C'mon, whatever happened to measured, objective journalism at the L.A. Times? Or did all those guys get fired?

5. Bryan says:

"“You’re not in Kansas anymore"…that's actually a line from the movie? *sigh* Lame. I'm sure Cam knows what he's doing, but he is a perfectionist. I really hope this movie pulls through, but at 240 million that's a big chunck of change to recoup in ticket sales and post showing DVD sales. We shall see!!!

6. paul says:

This movie looks awesome! I'm excited to see it.

7. anyad says:

> I saw, for instance, a tense scene toward the end of the film as Sam Worthington’s character, Jake Sully, is made a prisoner on the alien world of Pandora
    Thanks for the spoiler.

8. Not based on a TV show? What do you mean by that? Isn't it based on the Nickelodeon cartoon?

9. andy says:

You know how you said there wouldn't be any spoilers?
    You lied.

10. Steve Rachele says:

I've been anxiously awaiting the release of Cameron's Avatar since I first heard mumblings about it several years back. I'm totally jazzed about the trailer, I've played it back at least 10 times today and stepped through a ton of frames looking at the incredible details. But every time I play it, I can't help but feel like I've seen Pandora and the Na'vi before. The world and the creature designs look like they were plucked right out of Delgo. Did the same art crew work on both movies?
    Link to images:

11. There is a new preview for the Avatar Trailer which is way much better than the 1st trailer. Kudus for the leaked clip :D
    see the HD video: http://pinoytutorial.com/lifebytes/leaked-officia
    Hopefully, this will be a yet another masterpiece from James Cameron

12. themothchase says:

I like this comparison to the Matrix in terms of world and technology. In addition to this, the avatars in Avatar certainly invoked the brains-in-vats of The Matrix for me – but they took that image a step further. The Matrix was able to explore the possibilities of a body without limits because the characters ‘inside’ the matrix were plugged in solely by some neurological mechanism (meaning that when a character exited the matrix, so too did their body in the matrix…through the phone or whatever). The avatars, however, have a much more bodily presence in Pandora. Perhaps this is, in part, because the matrix is non-reality itself, whereas Pandora was so real as to be more real than the earth we know. And so while the characters in Avatar have their brains plugged into their avatars, their avatars actually exist also. When Jake Sully pulls out of Jakesully, Jakesully’s body doesn’t disappear; it remains in Pandora immobilized. In refusing to create Matrix-like bodies-without-limits that could consequently do amazing things, Avatar explored the possibilities of the body within limits; and the effect was, for me, much more beautiful and even more liberating. It was, to put it simply, a much more compelling understanding of the mind/body connection (and even mind/body/spirit connection) than I’ve seen in other films.

13. jake says:

Avatar was unbelievable but there is a series of books called “MEG” which would make one hell of a movie. It could be a giant blockbuster if done correctly. Curious if anyone’s has checked out the new book “HELLS AQUARIUM” by STEVE ALTEN? I know he’s been a best selling author before, but wanted to see if anyone had read this book first? It’s about the ancient prehistoric shark Megalodon, which makes the current Great White Shark look like a gold fish. Check out the trailer below, pretty awesome:

14. sabrina devine says:

Hey i just think the message behind the movie is great how we should protect our planet and the animals how they all connect like one big living planet. Thanks for listening-<3 Sabrina Devine

15. video chat says: