‘Legion’ trailer: God gives out shotguns

Aug. 14, 2009 | 2:06 a.m.

When Paul Bettany said (at Comic-Con) that his upcoming film “Legion” would feature a lot of heavenly gunfire in the battle between his character, the angel Michael, and rival Gabriel, we couldn’t be sure exactly what he meant.  The trailer definitely explains it.

There’s a red band trailer out as well that’s even more shocking.  It’s “Angels & Demons” (religious angle) meets “Crank High Voltage” (crazy action) with a little bit of John Woo’s “The Killer” (operatic violence) thrown in. But will it be any good? Let us know what you think.

– Jevon Phillips

RELATED

Legion1

Comic-Con: Paul Bettany talks ‘Legion’ and ‘Priest’

Is ‘Watchmen’ the ‘Fight Club’ of superhero films?

‘Zombieland’ keeps the movie genre alive

‘Angel of Death’s’ Zoe Bell

Comic-Con 2009: The Hero Complex collection

Comments

21 Responses to ‘Legion’ trailer: God gives out shotguns

1. vickie says:

Shock and awe maybe, but Biblical??? Not really. Too bad we don't make more movies about God's truth. That in itself would really shock and awe many who know nothing about the End of Days of this age. The movie would, in my opinion, be more exciting and more compelling-and wake a nation of unbelievers up-so they hoefully would open their eyes and their ears to what is truly coming SOON!!!

2. Dan says:

I saw the trailer for this and it looks awesome. The bible is the greatest fairy tale of all time so a horror movie based on some of the creatures contained within is a great idea. I've enjoyed this slant in other movies (Constantine for example) so I have high hopes for this one.
    As a sinde note, I will be surprised if some religeous groups don't protest this movie at some point.

3. oakley says:

Oh. My. Godddd! This looks awesome. I love Paul Bettany and I fear Kevin Durand. This is going to be a great ride. Looking forward to it!

4. Christina says:

I agree with Vickie. I saw the trailer last night in the theatre and thought to myself, "What is this?" I totally believe in spiritual warfare, but this just looks like it will be crap. It's not on my radar. Maybe, I'll see it when redbox gets it.

5. jesse says:

wow, this looks like a real cooker! a real shocker! you better pray you're wrong…

6. Kaitlin says:

I have to agree with Dan… nothing beats a good horror film based off of good fiction! I have extremely high hopes for this movie and I can't wait for it to come out in theaters!

7. Chad says:

I saw a trailer for the movie online, then tonight while watching previews before District 9. As far as my opinion goes, the movie (Legion) looks awful. The story-line seems predictable. The acting is found wanting. Its going to be one of those movies where you could guess what's going to happen next, and it'll probably be what happens. If you're going to make a movie that has biblical and religious reference, at least make it seem semi-convincing. I mean angels with guns, seriously? I feel like my intelligence would be insulted.
    District 9 was great though!

8. Daniel De Leon says:

I think it looks incredibly stupid. Not any better than Constantine -which sucked. Why? Legion will be a prime example; because directors/writers are too stupid to know how to use Biblical and Mythological content intelligently. Michael and Gabriel are both on THE SAME SIDE not against each other -idiots. Guess I'll have to show the world how it's done. -Forthcoming Novel on the way.

9. anonymous says:

While i know that most of us are going to see this movie because it is action packed and the special effects are nice eye candy, I can only hope we remember that this is not a true reality of God's plan.

10. kimberly says:

So God is the bad guy in this movie, hmm? It would have been a better idea if the angels were fighting demons for the salvation of the earth, instead of a group of humans plus a fallen angel who would then be a demon. With guns no less.
    And why would a human child be the salvation of mankind? What is it, the antichrist?
    this movies seems dumb

11. Liz says:

Silliness. Even if you do not believe in God, or the Bible, it would be much more believable if this was based on ancient scripture or writings and not some sophomore's fantasy during a math class. Really terrible, naive, and lacking any intellect in the story line.
    Anyone who does believe in God knows the promise, and how He gave His love to humanity. We will most likely destroy ourselves and already doing a good job of that. I am shocked Dennis Quaid would make such a silly movie.

12. Lee says:

The thing that amazes me, (reading some of these posts) is that people are actually reviewing this movie based on the trailer.
    I'll wait and see it then decide if I like it or not.

13. Alec says:

Why are people saying that it's going to be predictable? It's not based entirely off the bible so how can you be sure that it's going to be laid out so obviously? I mean the premise is original, so the writers could go wherever they want with it. All and all, I think this movie is going to be great.
    And to chad, I felt like district 9 was trying to keep the attention of 7 year olds with ADHD with gunfire, gore, and screams every thirty seconds. It was a great movie though. Give Legion a chance.

14. Jordan says:

The trailer shows some serious promise for a good action flick. I'm looking forward to it.

15. juepucta says:

Looks like a 90s film Walken did where he plays an archangel bent on taking over earth after being humankind's nanny on behalf of god for too long. A whole series of films came out of that, although with expectedly, diminishing returns. Direct to cable/video, etc.
    Same general idea. Kinda.
    -G.

16. Caleb Smith says:

Wow I was worried about the competition out there but the screen writter or creator of this foolish story looks like they did not do their home work. If you want to read the real story about the war between heaven and hell on earth check out my book (Longevity) it will hit book stores in mid october. We are currently turning it into a screenplay. This storey may give you the true answers you are looking for.

17. UglyAmerican says:

Vicki, christina your both smart people. just remember media helps pave your ideas. enjoy the movie but understand the meaning behind it! many wont!

18. Richard Buckner says:

I think it's going to be "OK" Been writing a book my self since 2004, some similiarities, My book is I believe 80% better in storyline, Hero 100% better.
    and whole lot of a religious bad ass if you will,
    My demons are a whole lot of evil and super bad. As well as Legion this presentation of Legion is weak. My Legion another Bad SOB.
    All in all , i'm going to go watch it just see if I laugh or say ok it was good.
    I hope my book makes it, then you'll see awesome,
    AS far as fairytale any one who believes life stated from two rocks hitting one another, thats the fairytale.

19. Norman says:

Seldom have I read more self-serving, misguided idiocy, and it is supremely disappointing that anyone here either thinks they know anything about this film – or much about any films, given the peevishly childish bent of most of this dreck. So I say to you: (1) This movie is fiction and even if it peripherally mentions it isn't about the conflict between the angels as mentioned – but not much – in the Bible, so sanctimonius mind farts about the Bible are misplaced here; (2) judge movies by the movies, not the trailers please, children; and to those who self-aggrandizingly use this to try to sell "their book": get a life, Charmin.Isn't that your real name? And before your mommies tuck you into the crib tonight, remember that some of us have seen HUNDREDS of sci-fi, horror, monster, slasher and other types of films – and we didn't review them or like/dislike them based on a trailer. Get lives, please…"God's truth" indeed. It's parable, kids.

20. Adam Ullström says:

Sorry to break anyones dreams, but the Legion movie is one of the most idiotic movies i ever seen, and I am for most part a very non critic person when it comes to movies but it is total crap! Truth!
    regards
    Adam

21. Neil Cantorne says:

The best line in the movie is: You gave Him what He asked. I gave Him what He needs.
    Opinion:
    This means that there were two possible action when God issued the order. Its either to follow the traditional way of exterminating and the other one is making another move under than exterminating but would yield greater good.