Luke Cage leads in ‘Thunderbolts’ but will Hollywood lightning ever hit?

May 06, 2010 | 6:25 p.m.

FIRST LOOK

Thunderbolts

Here’s a first look at the cover of “Thunderbolts” No. 144 from writer Jeff Parker and artist Kev Walker (cover by Marko Djurdjevic), which goes on sale May 26. Here’s the blurb from Marvel: “The most dangerous people on Earth are now all in one hellish prison, and the only way out is through rehabilitation and contribution to society via The Thunderbolts, under the leadership of the steel-hard-skinned Avenger named Luke Cage.” In this issue, the “Dirty Dozen” approach to a powers group includes Juggernaut. Crossbones and Man-Thing.

Thunderbolts impact

Speaking of Luke Cage, a.k.a. Power Man, I hear that there’s more talk underway about putting the urban hero into his own film and that a notable Hollywood star is now having (very) preliminary talks with Marvel Studios about the property and its potential.

I’ve always loved the Luke Cage character, who has been part of some great runs in comics. Brian Michael Bendis did great things with him in his fantastic “Alias” series and clearly feels an affinity for the character, since he used him again and again in the pages of “Secret War,” “The Pulse,” “Daredevil” and “New Avengers.”

Going way back, the Power Man and Iron Fist appearance in Frank Miller’s sublime “Daredevil” was one of my favorite moments in that landmark run.

The character, created by Archie Goodwin and John Romita Sr., has been at his best when teamed with Iron Fist, both in their title and as tourists in other books. They always struck me as a mash-up of genre films, the blaxploitation hero with the kung-fu master. I think with the right casting, a Luke Cage and Iron Fist movie would be fantastic.

Here’s voting for Dwayne Johnson and Jason Statham in the roles….

– Geoff Boucher

Dwayne Johnson in Faster

Dwayne Johnson returns to R-rated with “Faster” (pictured, left)

Snoop Dogg wants to know why there are no black superheroes

Nick Fury as sponsor, spy and mentor in “Iron Man 2″

Bryan Singer talks about the future of the “X-Men”

ARTWORK: Marvel Comics.

Comments

17 Responses to Luke Cage leads in ‘Thunderbolts’ but will Hollywood lightning ever hit?

1. theycallmemistertibb says:

Geoff, after seeing "Black Dynamite" I'd roll with Michael Jai White as Cage if a movie version ever comes into fruition. Terry Crews would be my second choice.

2. The Rock? No way Geoff, this role NEEDS to go to current Old Spice pitchman Terry Crews. Just attaching him to this project would make it happen. Let's start that rumor NOW.
    These ads are all glorious nonsense.

3. zeek says:

I'd be all for Rampage Jackson as Cage, especially after seeing the theatrical A-team trailer. Not sure who I'd put as Danny Rand (Iron Fist) but it wouldn't be Statham, that's for damn sure.

4. charlie mingus says:

Yeah, no to The Rock. I would really like to have Terry Crews in the role, he's got great charisma.

5. Brett says:

I agree that the Rock is not really right for the role.

6. milesdyson says:

There are only two guys out there who should play Luke Cage:
    Michael Jai White or Terry Crews.
    And a perfect Danny Rand would be SCOTT ADKINS. He's a really talented fighter and starred opposite Jai White in Undisputed 2.

7. ginrai says:

BOBBY LASHLEY OR TERRY CREWS. MICHAEL JAI WHITE IS STILL SPAWN TO ME.

8. ginrai says:

P.S WHAT IS MARVEL DOING ABOUT THE BLACK PANTHER MOVIE AND CLOAK AN DAGGER FILM?

9. Adrian says:

Terry Crews is perfect for Luke Cage. He’s co-starring in the up coming action flick ‘Expendables’, has veteran acting in several comedy films and television series (‘White Chicks’, ‘Friday after Next’, and ‘Everyone Hates Chris sitcom’ ). He has a much better physical build; is easily more conviencing an actor than Tyrese as Mr.’Sweet Christmas’ Luke Cage. Also in the Marvel Universe Luke Cage is around the age as Ironman and Terry Crews(41yrs) is 4 years younger than Robert Downey Jr(45yrs). RDJ contract is at least 5 more films I believe…
    Also my runner-ups would be:
    1. Jamie Foxx(42yrs)
    2. Michael Jai White aka Spawn(42yrs)
    3. Morris Chestnut(41).

10. Khaballa Jones says:

Whatever happened to Ray Park as Iron Fist? He was attached to the project for year. Is he finally out?

11. gaelinic says:

So this article is really making the rounds on the internet. As I read the last paragraph, I was overcome with one glaring question, "Has anyone thought of asking Quentin Tarantino to make this movie?" The writer notes that Luke Cage and Iron Fist are a mash-up of Blaxploitation and Kung Fu genres. Who better to direct this movie than the master of mash-ups? Tarantino could write this story in his sleep. Can you imagine the dialogue? The witty repartee between Luke and Danny? How about the single camera close-up of Luke Cage as his glasses get shot off, steam coming off his nose:
    Danny Rand asks, "You ok?"
    Ving Rhames (Luke Cage) responds, "Nah, man. I'm pretty f****ing far from ok. Those were my favorite shades."
    Danny Rand, "What now?"
    Luke Cage: "What now? Let me tell you what now. I'm gonna go to work on these fools here. You here me talking hillbilly boy?!! I ain't through which you by damn sight. I'm gonna get medieval on your ass!"
    Marvel, please make this happen.

12. The.Watcher says:

I'd like Common to be Cage, he's a good actor and big as hell.

13. richtight says:

I VOTE FOR TERRY CREW AS LUKE CAGE…

14. Maddog says:

I would call a vote for Michael Clarke Duncan, if you just had a bearded version of him, then you would have Power Man…

15. Maddog says:

16. rod the bod says:

mj white as luke cage and scott adkins as iron fist period.

17. Dezmo says:

My vote goes to my man Crews as Luke Cage…I see MJW, more as the Black Panther…that being said, A Heros for Hire movie would be the best way to introduce both Power Man and Iron Fist…and think of the ties to other movies it could include…