Mr. T talks smack to Superman

Sept. 05, 2008 | 9:31 p.m.

A few weeks back we brought you an exclusive interview with Ice Cube talking about his admiration for Mr. T and his hope to bring back his character “B.A.” Baracus in a proposed “A-Team” remake. And this week we told you about the uncertainty surrounding the 21st century viability of Superman. That got me to thinking about this You Tube golden-oldie (well, 2006 seems like a long time ago) that mashes up dialogue from “Rocky III” with “The Super Friends” and Mr. T’s painfully bad Saturday-morning cartoon. You can see it by clicking below, it’s about Superman retiring …

I especially like Wonder Woman as the shocked girlfriend of the champ. Nice. And, hey, great choice for the character to handle the lines of Burgess Meredith – it’s the Penguin as Hawkman!

When I was listening to Sylvester Stallone’s voice coming out of a superhero, it reminded me that the last time I talked to Frank Miller he said that he would love to cast the Italian Stallion as the battered and aging Batman in a film adaptation of “The Dark Knight Returns.” “Just that mouth of his, the scowl and the way it would look in a mask,” Miller said. “I loved ‘Rocky Balboa.’ This wounded warrior, that’s what Batman is in ‘Dark Knight Returns.’ “

Hmmm. Well, Stallone certainly showed some range in “Cop Land” and raw boldness in “Rocky Balboa,” but it might be hard for me to see him in Gotham City without giggling. I was talking about it to righteous comic-book geek Steve Martin (not the comic actor; this Martin is the owner of Nasty Little Man and publicist for Radiohead, Nine Inch Nails and Beck) and he hated the idea. “Put Stallone in a mask and you get ‘Judge Dredd’ again, and nobody wants that.” Yikes. Good point.

What do you think for casting of a movie version of “The Dark Knight Returns”? I would put forth the name of Bruce Willis, who has the jawline and the world-weary gaze. If he can pull off “Pulp Fiction” and “The Sixth Sense,” why not Miller’s classic graphic novel?

– Geoff Boucher

RELATED: More random silliness at Hero Complex

Comments

19 Responses to Mr. T talks smack to Superman

1. Mark Robinson says:

Regarding Frank Miller thoughts on having actor Sylvester Stallone play in the Dark night returns. I think that would be awsome. Stallone could pull that role off. I can picture him in the mask and outfit. The voice the presence, and his body. Someone mentioned it would just be like another Judge dredd I disagree. If the story is written well Stallone would shine in this part.
    Lets hope Frank Miller makes it a reality.!

2. Swinger says:

I am all for Stallone in this. Having seen Rocky Balboa and the new Rambo, the guy still has it. And he could pull this one off. If you guys dont believe me, go check Rambo and Rocky 6 out.

3. Rob says:

Clint Eastwood.

4. Steve says:

There is one name that should be thrown into the pot for an aging disalusioned Batman, dont get me wrong I am loving the Willis and the Stalone but lets not forget what happened last time they hired someone for their jawline… two word Judge Dread ! By all accounts Mickey Rourkes performance in The Wrestler is being praised all over the place. Who better to play a beaten down pugelist than rourke? Okay he may need a bit of polishing up for the Bruce Wayne element but i think its definately worth a think.

5. Jack G says:

Mickey Rourke we be the best aging Batman, remember Sin City?

6. The Authority says:

Good lord. Miller's credibility continues its downward slide. Why do people listen to him? Out side of Sin City, he hasn't made anything good in years. His sequel to Dark Knight Returns was awful. His prequel to it was even worse (offering a recently orphaned boy bats to eat if he's hungry, come on!). Miller needs to stop getting work.

7. Winobot says:

I don't think i really like the idea of Stallone but ever since i read the graphic novel ive always wanted there to be a film adaptation with Wilis as batman and this may sound crazy but Clive Owen as the older more rugged looking superman.

8. Jordan says:

I'T WOULD BE GREAT TO SEE THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS AS A MOVIE. FRANK MILLER'S GRAPHIC NOVEL IS A CLASSIC AND WHEN I READ IT I THOUGHT OF STALLONE. THINK OF IT, IT WOULD BE A GOOD FIT. DO NOT USE JUDGE DREDD AS A REASON IT COULD NOT WORK IT WAS A BAD MOVIE. THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS GIVEN TO A TOP DIRECTOR ( CHRISTOPHER NOLAN FOR EXAMPLE ) AND A TOP WRITTING TEAM WOULD MAKE STALLONE SHINE IN THE ROLE. EVEN IF STALLONE IS NOT CHOSEN FOR SUCH A ROLE I CAN SEE CHRISTOPHER NOLAN LEADING HIS STORY LINE INTO THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS EVENTUALLY WITH CHRISTIAN BALE.

9. Stephen says:

Bruce Willis would make the ideal Bruce Wayne/Dark Knight similar to the look/character he had in Sin City.

10. Russ says:

I've been thinking for a long time that Tom Selleck might actually be really good for this role

11. tom says:

i own and love the Dark Knight Returns. And when i was reading it, I remember thinking to myself, Bruce Willis IS Bruce Wayne. Look at Willis in 16 blocks and then look at Wayne in the first few pages of DKR. i dare you to tell me they don't look just about exactly the same

12. Robert says:

Yeah i am going to have to say Clint Eastwood, and whats funny i was just thinking what if they made a batman beyond type movie, who would play the older batman… I think Clint Eastwood could pull it off, similar build and seriousness…

13. Steve says:

Michael Keaton.

14. Obiwayne says:

How about Clint Eastwood? tho' he might be a little too old at this point. Back when TDKR came out, I thought he'd be perffect for the role. . . PLEASE – no stallone. Rourke wouldn't be too bad.

15. Gary says:

If anyone can play Batman in an adaptation of The Dark Knight Returns its Mickey Rourke. He WAS Marv in Sin City. I could also see Bruce Willis in the part, but do we really want that? How about Travolta? Although it'd be hard to believe that he could keep a secret identity with that a**hole-chin thing he has!!!

16. Dylan Lim says:

Rutger Hauer

17. rave says:

How about GERALD BUTLER ?
    " THIS IS GOTHAM !!! "
    just a thought xD

18. MK says:

Ok, I realize that I;m coming to the table late, but the only actor who should even be considered for the role of Bruce Wayne/Batman in a film adaptation of "The Dark Knight Returns" is Harrison Ford. Go ahead, let that sink in. The man is a badass, always capable of playing the loner/rebel, and who amongst you nerds doesn't want to see Harrison Ford vs. Mark Hamill in a live-action showdown? Because if you sign one, you have to sign the other. Hell, we could even let Nick Cage finally get his rocks off as the "American Tool" version of Superman.
    As for the rest of the cast: Bruno, Carrie/Robin, the Mutant Leader, Alfred, etc… I'll leave those decisions to you, Gentle Readers.