New Batman DVD to peek out from ‘Under the Red Hood’

Feb. 10, 2010 | 2:40 a.m.

Plenty of of fanboys are anticipating the new Justice League DVD “Crisis on Two Earths,” which premieres on Feb. 23, but that disc will also give birth to a new DC must-see home movie when the Dark Knight saga “Batman: Under the Red Hood” launches one of its first promos.

Redhood

Written by Judd Winick and based on his 2005 Batman comics story line, it’s Batman versus another vigilante, Red Hood, who doesn’t mind cleaning up Gotham by leaving dead bodies in his wake. Animated guru Bruce Timm exec produces this pretty violent look into crime on the streets, and it’s directed by “Superman Doomsday” co-director Brandon Vietti, with a cavalcade of stars as voice talent. It all starts with Bruce Greenwood (“Star Trek”) as Batman, then continues with “Supernatural” star Jensen Ackles as Red Hood, Neil Patrick Harris (“How I Met Your Mother”) as Nightwing, John DiMaggio (“Futurama”) as the Joker and Jason Isaacs (the Harry Potter films) as Ra’s Al Ghul.

This was one of the most popular story lines to come out of Batman in recent history. Will you watch?

– Jevon Phillips

RELATED

BATMAN

Akiva Goldsman on ‘Lobo,’ ‘Jonah Hex’ and the new ‘Swamp Thing’

‘Batman: Arkham Asylum’ is a mad success

Top vintage Bat-toys…including a somewhat lewd water pistol

Gary Oldman: Cameras rolling on new Bat-film

Adam West talks about cat-scratch fever

Joker creator Jerry Robinson on Gotham’s golden age

Comments

19 Responses to New Batman DVD to peek out from ‘Under the Red Hood’

1. Coop666 says:

Hell YEAH I'll watch!!!

2. Coop666 says:

Oh yeah! FIRST!!!

3. CandyMaize says:

I'm happy to see that Jensen Ackles is doing voice work!

4. Xayian says:

Excellent voice casting all round. And Jensen as the Red Hood…Awesome choice :D

5. Heather says:

Jensen and Neil, two of my favorite people in the world, in the same Batman cartoon, Batman being my favorite superhero? I think my brain may have just exploded a little from the excitement.

6. steve says:

OH boy, I will have to get both of them!

7. Batman says:

I approve of this! Jensen is perfect for this job…and NPH and Jason Isaacs are great too. I can't wait for this!

8. Andrea says:

No, because Jensen should be batman since he bores me with that voice EVERY DAMN episode of Supernatural.

9. Claudie says:

You bet! This is one of my favourite Batman stories and I love the line up.

10. Danny K says:

ah so we finnaly see the debut of Jason todd in animated form cool very cool I wonder if this mean some of grant morriosn stories will come to Animated fruition like Batman RIP or Batman Reborn

11. batfan86 says:

Awesome cast! Can't wait!

12. whee! says:

Hell yeah! I don't even like Bat man but for Jensen Ackles and NPH, I'm totally there!

13. Saltnburnem says:

I don't really follow Batman comics, but if Jensen Ackles lends his voice to the Red Hood in the DVD, I'll definitely buy it!

14. Juan-John says:

When is it due out?

15. Yaya says:

This sounds excellent and Jensen doing voice work even more excellent! It's a go right I mean you aren't giving this info out about Jensen to snatch it from under my fangirl feet and break my fangirl heart? I mean it's confirmed that Jensen is doing the voice of Red Hood? =D

16. hypestyle says:

why didn't they have the 90's Batman guy do the voice?

17. longbowhunter says:

on what planet was this one of the most popular Batman stories to date? This was a HORRIBLE story and a HORRIBLE choice to be made into an animated movie. Why not an animated version of The Dark Knight Returns? Or Kingdom Come? The Killing Joke? Or how about any of a dozen decent well-received Batman stories that have come out in the last 20 years? Who does Judd Winnick have dirty pictures of to keep getting work in the comics industry???

18. phil says:

kevin conroy and mark hamill as batman and joker FTW. they're the best. whoever cast billy baldwin as bats in this crisis movie is a turd. he sucked. i watched it yesterday. every time he opened his mouth it just pissed me off.

19. Maria says:

Wow, Jensen Ackles did the voice for Red Hood! Someone finally noticed that this guy is potential goldmind. What is wrong with the people out there making movies anyway?, I thought they were suppose to be able to recognize when there was an actor out there that could explode the screens with talent. Jensen could be the next Tom Cruise, Will Smith, Brad Pitt- whatever. Do they not know how popular he is to the lone million fans out there that know he exists? Half the profits of this Disc will be because of him. Congrats to the people who hired him.