The Green 15: Pop culture’s greatest green characters

March 17, 2009 | 3:29 p.m.

Well, it’s St. Patrick’s Day, and here at the mighty Hero Complex that got me to thinking: “Gee, who are the greatest green-skinned characters ever in pop culture?” No, I haven’t been drinking already, thanks for asking. Anyway, check out this fancy photo gallery where I rank the finest lime-colored icons in film, television and comics.

Who will be No. 1? I’ll give you a hint: He’s NOT one of the three greenies you see below …

Green_15_2

What do you think? Did I forget anybody? Maybe I should open this up to a reader poll … come back here and leave a comment after you check out the gallery.

– Geoff Boucher

MORE RANDOM SILLINESS

Snl_1979_2VIDEO: “Watchmen,” the Saturday morning show?

VIDEO: How many Spider-Mans fit in a Jamba Juice?

VIDEO: Superman vs. Batman … to the death!

<<“SNL” flashback, superhero party 1979

VIDEO: Monty Python meets the crew of the USS Enterprise

More in: Uncategorized, Hulk, Random Silliness

Comments

8 Responses to The Green 15: Pop culture’s greatest green characters

1. oakmonster says:

Oooh I should've come to work dressed up as Yoda. Didn't think about THAT!

2. Nate says:

Where the hell's Green Lantern?

3. I can't believe I didn't see No. 1 coming. Shamed.
    I still hear that crazy music EVERY TIME I see that foxy Orion girl. (Like right now!)
    Shrek is higher on the list than The Grinch and OSCAR THE GROUCH!?!
    It's on, Boucher!
    (I also think Kermit should been number two. Christian Bale based his entire career on him, and Kermit also covers Nine Inch Nails) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57ta7mkgrOU http://community.livejournal.com/ohnotheydidnt/27

4. Mike Honcho says:

The Green Goblin (of the comics, not the movies) would not be pleased …

5. The list is GREEN-SKINNED people and is labeled as such.
    Green Lantern and Green Goblin dress in green (just like Green Arrow, Robin Hood and about 2,300 bartenders in Boston) but they do not have green skin!!

6. Mark says:

Great post. Loved it.

7. Sheldon says:

I didn't see Swamp Thing on your list. Tsk. Tsk.

8. Randy Lewis says:

As a loyal reader of (and very occasional contributor to) Hero Complex, I couldn't resist putting my colleague Geoff Boucher's challenge to my sons, Harrison and Alec, who are 12 and 16. The generational divide of this emerald enigma quickly became evident. The first name out of both their mouths: "Yoda!" So much for countdown suspense. Then they quickly came up with some others it would have taken their dad years to come up with, if ever: Yaddle (Yoda's female counterpart, for any other geezers out there like me who would have to ask), Bulbosaur and apparently at least 37 other Pokemon. Conversely, my clue to them for the No. 11 finisher–a crudely crooned rendition of the old jingle: "In the valley of the Jolly, ho ho ho…" — drew two blank stares. "Santa isn't green," Alec said. Neither could place the Jolly Green Giant. Both would have included Rex from "Toy Story," but wouldn't have been able to pick Wally Gator out of a police lineup. We all, however, could agree on Mr. Zero, the bashful green Martian (played by Billy Curtis) from the fifth season of the '50s TV series "Superman." Thanks to the wonders of TV on DVD, they've been fully indoctrinated.