‘Thor’: Kat Dennings says her character is ‘very Scooby Doo’

April 13, 2011 | 5:29 p.m.

DAYS OF THUNDER: We’re counting down to the May 6 release of “Thor” with a month of on-the-set reports, exclusive photos and interviews with the cast and crew of the first truly cosmic Marvel Studios film. Today: Kat Dennings.

kat dennings Thor: Kat Dennings says her character is very Scooby Doo

Ket Dennings (Robert Lachman Los Angeles Times)

In a film populated by noble warriors, blue frost giants, and dour government agents, Kat Dennings plays a sort of ambassador representing the popcorn nation of the young moviegoers who are the target audience for “Thor” when it opens May 7.

“My character is the one who says what the audience is thinking, she’s like ‘Wait, whaaaat’?” Dennings said with an appropriately dramatic flair. Sitting in her trailer during a break from shooting last year on the New Mexico set,  she explained that her character, Darcy, is a college student who is “a helper gnome” to scientist Jane Foster (Natalie Portman), who finds herself in the middle of a cosmic conflict after Thor (Chris Hemsworth) lands on earth as an outcast from the majestic realm called Asgard.

It is Darcy who frets about her government-confiscated  iPod, snaps photos of Thor to post on Facebook and moans that she is not especially eager to sacrifice her life for a three-credit college internship in Foster’s office. All of that makes the 24-year-old star of “Nick and Norah’s Infinite Playlist” the designated representative of contemporary youth in a film that spends a lot of its time with the formal and somewhat foreign voices of Asgard.

“For me, it’s a lot of fun to play the role and it’s a dream to play in a movie like this, a huge, huge epic,” the Philadelphia native said while kicking-back on a couch after filming an intense scene where a small desert town is leveled by massive automaton called the Destroyer. “I feel really lucky to be in this movie.”

Dennings’ role grew as the filming went along with Kenneth Branagh eager to inject a bit of humor into the thunderous melodrama and the red-headed actress said it was especially fun to be on the set with her pal, Portman.

“She’s a fascinating girl and we’ve been friends  for a while,” Dennings said. “She didn’t know that I got the role and when I told her she was so excited. We get to spent tons of time together and of course [costar] Stellan Skarsgård, who is in all the same scenes as us, gets so sick of us being so girly all the time, the poor guy. She’s an amazing actress and you she’s got a great head on her shoulders.”

Dennings, still wearing one of wool hats favored by Darcy, said the head on her character’s shoulders is somewhat less impressive.

“She’s kind of like a cute, clueless, little puppy or maybe a hamster,” Dennings said. “There wasn’t much on the page for the Darcy role to begin with and I didn’t even see a script before I took the job so I didn’t really know who Darcy was at first. But  she really evolved — she’s so much fun now even. She’s very Scooby-Doo if that makes sense. She’s always three steps behind and reacting to what’s happening with these great expressions. ‘Zoinks.’ She gets things wrong and doesn’t care. And she wears these hats. What could be better?”

— Geoff Boucher

Chris Hemsworth

Portman as a female absent-minded professor

Fraction: Thor is Marvel’s most-DC-like character

“Thor” trailer makes thunderous debut

Hemsworth: I got so big my costume wouldn’t fit

Branagh fires back after nasty ‘Thor’ rumors

Anthony Hopkins on the ruthless charm of Odin

Branagh: ‘Thor’ is a ‘different dance’ than ‘Iron Man’

‘X-Men’ director: Hollywood is killing superhero genre

Comments

6 Responses to ‘Thor’: Kat Dennings says her character is ‘very Scooby Doo’

1. David Scholes says:

Thor is coming a little earlier here in Australia. 21 April in my home town of Canberra. I thought I read somewhere that the World Premiere is in Sydney, Australia as early as 16 April. With both Hemsworth and Branagh attending.

As an Aussie science fiction writer: http://www.goldenvisionsmagazine.biz/AlienHunter….
    I’ve been a Marvel Thor fan since the original Journey into Mystery of August 1962.

If you get a chance check out some of my Marvel (mainly Odin and Thor) fan fiction. Just scroll down below my author profile and you will see over 40 fan fiction stories here:

2. Juss says:

"representing the popcorn nation of the young moviegoers who are the target audience for “Thor” when it opens May 7."

" “My character is the one who says what the audience is thinking, she’s like ‘Wait, whaaaat’?” Dennings said . . . "

It is Darcy who frets about her government-confiscated iPod, snaps photos of Thor to post on Facebook and moans that she is not especially eager to sacrifice her life for a three-credit college internship in Foster’s office. All of that makes the 24-year-old star of “Nick and Norah’s Infinite Playlist” the designated representative of contemporary youth in a film that spends a lot of its time with the formal and somewhat foreign voices of Asgard.

“She’s kind of like a cute, clueless, little puppy or maybe a hamster” . . .
    ________________________________________

Maybe if she *were* a puppy or hamster, the character would be palatable. I despise characters like this, even while I acknowledge–quite reluctantly–their ubiquity and inevitability. Shallow, ignorant and selfish, they exist only on the pure sufferance of the more mature beings around them. Their only usefulness is in giving the more enlightened an opportunity to exercise compassion and forbearance from wiping them out. For me, Darcy will be the rot in the apple–the single worst part of "Thor."

3. B9000 says:

I'm way too old to be commenting on this, but what the heck. They didn't make a Thor movie when I was a kid, so here goes: Without sounding all Ted Kaczynski-crazy, I too think that Ms. Dennings' character sound like a hedge on the part of the filmmakers. They took all of the "thee" and the "thou" out, apparently, too.
    These "Scooby Doo" characters have been done to death- it's like those old Hercules movies– where the old guy in the toga says "It's Hercules- he's…he's picking up that boulder!" Or Mathis in Casino Royale explaining the card game. The producers must think, beforehand: "remember, the audiences are dumb!"
    I thought Ms. Dennings was pretty good in "Nick and Norah’s Infinite Playlist" and wish her nothing but success, even in Thor, but I really, really wish filmmakers would trust the source material and the perceptions of the audience and not muck up things with force-injected comedy relief and/or expository. It's a buzz kill.
    Besides, the people who are going to hate this movie will be making their own comedy, anyway!

4. Branimir9000 says:

Jury is out.

5. Branimir9000 says:

Ms. Dennings was very good in "Playlist" and she will be fine here.

That being said, I do not know why film-makers feel the need to hedge their belief behind this kind of film; the comic relief/ exposition spouting sidekick has been done to death in films, from Hercules movies, Conan the Destroyer, and even Casino Royale (Mathis explaining the betting at the table where Bond was playing).
    Along those lines, I know that as an old school Marvel geek I am going to miss the thees and the thous, no matter how silly "these" sound to too cool for school ears.

6. naruto says: