‘Twilight’ vs. ‘Buffy’…it’s on!

July 02, 2009 | 2:58 a.m.

Denise Martin has a fun piece on our sister blog Show Tracker about this great bit of bloodsucker creativity…

On June 19, Jonathan McIntosh vanquished “Twilight’s” undead heartthrob Edward with the help of one Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

It was something that needed to be done, McIntosh said in an interview, calling Edward “a creepy stalker guy.” After the vampire’s obsessive pursuit of his teenage love Bella in last year’s “Twilight,” McIntosh was driven to act.

“Bella is not weirded out by his behavior at all, which made me think, ‘What would Buffy do to this guy if he was into her? What would she do if he snuck into her room at night watching her sleep without her knowing?’” McIntosh said.

As realized by McIntosh, he’d get rebuffed, mocked and, ultimately, a stake through the heart.

McIntosh, 30, a freelance Web designer and owner of RebelliousPixels.com, took it upon himself to pit the two characters against each other in a video he created using footage from the “Buffy” TV series and the “Twilight” film to show, well, an alternative — and fatal — ending for the love-struck Edward.

“Buffy” executive producer Marti Noxon said in an interview, “I’m a sucker, so to speak, for any vampire story so I’m a fan of the ‘Twilight’ saga, but it’s true that Edward hasn’t come up against a kick-ass woman like Buffy.”

I’m really glad that she didn’t end up doing the smoochies with him…”

READ THE REST

–Denise Martin

Robert_pattison_photo_spencer_weine

VIDEO: “Twilight” fans can be a bit…scary

VOTE: “Twilight,” “Trek” or “Up” — which just got a boost in Oscars race?

“Twilight” struggle: The reason Catherine Hardwicke was fired

Stephenie Meyer and the future of “Midnight Sun”

Report from Forks, Wash., the “Twilight” town

Robert Pattinson talks about his career “backup plan”

Stephenie Meyer talks about … mermaids?

Photo: Robert Pattinson. Credit: Spencer Weiner / Los Angeles Times

More in: Uncategorized, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Comments

30 Responses to ‘Twilight’ vs. ‘Buffy’…it’s on!

1. Wait….
    Girls DON'T like stalkers?
    …Crud.

2. Midnite607 says:

You clearly are not familiar with either the Twilight books or the Buffy the Vampire Slayer Series. First of all Buffy did have a handsome vampire who stalked her… albeit only at night but just the same he did watch her sleep at night and his name was Angel! Second the Meyers vamps had certain abilities that Buffy has not come up against being a. Edward can read minds which would include Buffy's, b. their skin is like solid marble, and c. the "dazzling" effect. As to which of the two would come out on top I am not sure maybe you should ask Stephanie Meyers or Joss Whedon. Buffy might have met her match.

3. Sia says:

Nobody cares about Buffy being a kick butt girl. THE SHOW HAD AN AWFUL ENDING AND IT WAS DISAPPOINTING !
    Twilight is so HUGE that this makes me laugh ! Yea theres alot of people who still love Buffy but COME ON TWILIGHT IS LOVED AND ADORED WAY MORE like it or not !

4. BuffyStakesEdward says:

LOL the dead 'Edward' is Cedric Diggory.
    Buffy has always been heaps better. The Twilight film doesn't even make sense to have a black vampire as they describe all vampires as pale skinned both in the books and in the film… The books are good, shame the adaptation was s*** and just sold out for the scene kiddies.

• Trevor says:

Did you just say that the Twilight books are 'good'? HA! Your argument cannot be considered valid if you considered them good books – they are horribly written and focus on the stupid romance between Edward and Bella while neglecting what could be an awesome story if more of the back story was explained. No, Buffy is definately superior to Twilight dribble.

• Violet_hill8 says:

I totally agree. In fact how can they write "Twilight vs Buffy" ? Buffy is more modern, more clever than Tw… We can't compare them.
        And if people are looking for something like Twilight (New moon wasn't so bad) they could watch The Vampire diaries which is much better. So even if we like Twilight, Buffy is still more powerfull and deep.

5. terry says:

Buffy is alot more better
    ive read and watched the twilight film and i was bored out my head felt like the film went on for ages
    Buffy yeah it had a disappointing ending, but Buffy is alot more huge than Twilight will ever be.

6. Anouk says:

This video is hilarious! Well done, very nicely edited. As a huge buffy fan, I have to say that while I enjoyed 'Twilight', it had nowhere near the emotional breadth, humour, and pop-culture savvy of 'Buffy.'
    But as for Buffy not liking stalkers… seems to me this writer needs to revisit the Buffyverse… Angel stalked Buffy both before, during, and after their relationship (remember 'Pangs'?), though he was mostly a benevolent/helpful stalker (except when he lost his soul in season 2). And how about Spike? Major stalking all through season 5! Recall all those cigarette stubs beneath her bedroom window? Buffy totally loves the bad boys, stalkers included. The main think about Edward (sorry Twilight fans) is that he's kinda wussy and miserable… Buffy likes more sarcasm and wit in her vamps… That's just my two cents worth. I know you Twilight folks will eat me alive for this. Bring it on!

7. Michelle says:

As a fan of both Buffy and Twilight I must say I love this video and I will also say Buffy could beat him anyday in the first season the master held great power over buffy and she still kicked his ass also when she turned 18 all of her powers were takin and she still out smarted a carzy vamp and killed him and lets not forget the last season with the super vamps, it took a lot of work for her there but she still beat them so yeah I say she can beat edward not that I would want to see that happen but any Buffy fan know her style and she most likley would fall for him…lol

8. kris says:

awesome – completely fantastic!

9. john says:

I'm a huge Buffy fan but have not and likely never read the books or watch the Twilight films so my money's on Buffy kicking Edward's pasty butt.

10. Heather says:

I just wanted to say. That the Buffy ending was perfect. Also Buffy, Angel, Cordy, Willow, Xander, Dawn, and Spike could kick Edwards ass with there eyes close.

11. Joe says:

Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee could kill the entire cast of both properties without breaking a sweat. That being said, at least 'Buffy' was a clever, supremely literate show. Twilight, even setting aside the goofy tweener tone, is just a poorly written C-movie that stumbled upon a big budget and a less-than-discriminating audience.

12. CLK says:

I have two major issues with Twilight. 1) The sparkling. 2) Bella has the personality of a wet bar rag. And of course Buffy will stake Edward. He is no Angel.

13. OzzyB359 says:

Ok, I think after all that Buffy’s faced, she could definatley take Edward. I am a fan of BTVS and the Twilight Saga, but The Slayer, the woman that was built to hunt and kill vampires, could take down Edward. True, he does have specail powers, but so did Willow, The Master, Adam, and Glory. Granted, she did die twice, but that didn’t stop her for long. Somehow, I think she has the strength to pull him apart and burn the pieces if she had to.

14. pumpkinmuzzle says:

"…like my own personal brand of heroin?" Really?

15. pumpkinmuzzle says:

The beautiful and tragic story of Buffy and Angel is one of the most compelling modern-day love stories because they were both multi-faceted, complex characters and the more you got to know them, the more interesting they became. The irony of a vampire and slayer falling in love was given genius treatment by Joss Whedon.

Professor Walsh might say that Buffy and Angel think with their Superego, while Bella and Edward (at least the movie version – I haven't read the books) are still using their Id. They're at different levels, so there really is no comparison.

16. John says:

Buffy is the best! it doesn't matter how many people like her, even the critics say this!
    Twilight sucks… a lot…. it's boring and please, none of the caracters have the same impact as willo, xander and giles!
    Twilight can have their own sucess now, but Buffy is 4ever!

17. DannyJane says:

Apparently the author of this article has not seen Buffy all the way through. She had not one but two vampires who were in love with her to the stalker level. The first, Angel, eventually was written out of the series and into one of his own. The second, Spike, moved from creepy stalker to Savior of the World.

Either would reduce Edward (nancypants) Cullen to a pile of goo in a matter of seconds.

18. Ally Todd says:

God Almighty that was satisfying. Twilight is nothing more than a shameless Buffy rip off. A teenage girl happens to fall in love with a charming mystery man (or a Billy Idol esque punk bad ass, either way) who happens to drink blood and run around creaturing after dark. Where have we heard that before?

Alos what's with the sunlight, sparkle thing? Even the Vampire Diaries actually gave us a reason instead of a rather flimsy dismissal of the fact that vampires and UV light are unmixey things. Give me a break.

19. Rhi says:

Love it! Laughed my head off!

20. Nick says:

Ummm NO I have seen all Buffy seasons including comic and read all Twilight saga books and all movies so far and even though I like Twilight Buffy is WAY BETTER. She will be remembered but twilight is just a fad Sparkly Vampires?! I rather have ones who turn to dust in the sunlight. When it comes down to it TWILIGHT=Fad BUFFY=CLASSIC