‘Twilight: Eclipse': Here’s the scoop with six new star interviews

May 06, 2010 | 12:40 p.m.

Yvonne Villarreal goes in-depth on “The Twilight Saga: Eclipse” in this piece, which is a longer version of her Sunday Calendar story.

Twilight Eclipse

The family that slays together, stays together. At least that’s the case for the Cullen brood.

In “The Twilight Saga: Eclipse,” which hits theaters June 30, Seattle is ravaged by a series of killings caused by an army of newborn vampires controlled by revenge-seeking bloodsucker Victoria. To combat the threat against Bella (Kristen Stewart) in this third installment of the franchise, the Cullens must band together and join forces with their sworn enemies, the wolf pack.

“The whole family is in a vulnerable position because of the love we have for Bella,” said Elizabeth Reaser, who plays matriarch Esme Cullen. “If she’s not OK, we’re not OK.”

In the past, we’ve seen the clan hit baseballs so hard that they can play only in a thunderstorm, to block out the sound. And we’ve watched the buttoned-up human imposters welcome Bella into their home as the human girlfriend of one of their own — the handsome Edward.

Twilight Eclipse big three

“This time around, you get to see their true vampire-ness,” said Peter Facinelli, who plays head vampire Dr. Carlisle Cullen in the series based on the bestselling books by Stephenie Meyer.

The film is being helmed by David Slade, the edgy filmmaker behind Hard Candy and 30 Days of Night.” And if the trailer is any indication, he’s definitely given the franchise a darker sensibility.

“The guys are going to bring their girlfriends to this one, mark my words,” said Kellan Lutz, who plays Emmett Cullen. “There’s a lot of fighting, a lot of cool stunts. It’s a little darker. The stuff I’ve seen so far is amazing. Amazing. The music is great. Everything is just really captivating. I’m excited to see it, and I’m excited for the fans to see it. The stunts are so cool. It was a bit weird, like for the main battle scene where the newborns come in. I mean, we’re looking at these cardboard cutouts as we’re acting, as we’re supposed to be head-butting creatures. So to see it live on the screen is so cool. And running on the treadmills to do the chase scene was awesome. We were being pulled by a truck going really fast to make it seem like we were running at vampiric speed. To see it on screen, it looks epic.”

What else can we expect from the pale-faced Cullen family (which includes the Hale siblings) this go-round? Here’s what the actors say audiences can expect from the story and their characters:

Peter Facinelli

Facinelli: “For me, as Carlisle, it’s an exciting portion of the series. Carlisle is very compassionate and he has a lot of killing to do in this movie. I joke, after he kills the bad guys, he says he’s sorry in his head. And, you know, he’s calm and level-headed. He’s the rock of the family. He usually has a lot of information to draw from because Alice can see into the future and Edward can read minds. In this third movie, he’s not getting that information. Neither one of his sources are working, so he’s kind of flying blind.”

Robert Pattinson (as Edward Cullen): Snagging a phone interview with the brooding dreamboat — who was overseas shooting his latest film, “Bel Ami” — proved difficult. So what can we expect from the lovesick Edward? He promises to love Bella “every moment of forever,” as the trailer reveals. He’s still hesitant about her becoming a vampire. He’s determined to protect her from Victoria. And he’s vying with Jacob for her affections. Oh, the life of an antique teenage vampire.

Elizabeth Reaser

Reaser: “Esme is still a vampire. She still wants to kill people all day long. It was interesting to get in touch with the vampire side of her in ways that haven’t really been explored. Her family is in danger and that brings out the mama bear in her.

Ashley Greene (as Alice Cullen): “Yeah, she’s delicate and prissy at times, but Alice gets a little edgier with each installment. And with these vampires messing with her family and the people she loves, you’re going to see a bit of her toughness. It’s a reminder to the audience that even though we restrain ourselves at times, we’re still vampires and we’re dangerous. You’re going to see the dark, dangerous side of Alice.”

Kellan Lutz (as Emmett Cullen): “You’re going to see a smile on Emmett’s face from start to finish. He just loves to fight. And there’s a lot of fighting. He sort of plays bigger in this one than the others.”

Nikki Reed

Nikki Reed (as Rosalie Hale): “You see a reason for her attitude. I think fans will feel for her. There was a bit of that in ‘New Moon.’ Fans got to see a bit of her sensitive side. Her sane side. Her logical side. And her desire to help her family. This time around, she is much more of a participant. She’s a survivor. This is her family. So if protecting Bella means protecting her family, she’s going to do it.”

Jackson Rathbone (as Jasper Hale): “You’ll get to see a little bit of the root of what makes Jasper so withdrawn and quiet in the Cullen family. Fans will get some of Jasper’s back story in ‘Eclipse.’ I got to wear the whole Civil War gear and everything. There’s a bit of the softer and darker side of Jasper in this film.”

– Yvonne Villarreal

Twilight New Moon premiere

‘New Moon’ premiere shines in Westwood

“Twilight” the musical? No but “Breaking Dawn” director is auditioning

Taylor Lautner on Pattinson: “Sadly, we don’t hate each other”

‘Twilight’ producer: Lautner is going to blow people away with his acting

‘Twilight’ screenwriter says second film is better

Stephenie Meyer and the future of ‘Midnight Sun’

Robert Pattinson talks about his career ‘backup plan’

PHOTOS: Top, Kellan Lutz, Peter Facinelli, Jackson Rathbone and Robert Pattinson in “The Twilight Saga: Eclipse” (Credit: Kimberley French/Summit Entertainment). Second, Taylor Lautner, Kristen Stewart and Pattinson in “Eclipse” ((Kimberley French/Summit Entertainment). Third, fourth and fifth: Portraits of Peter Facinelli, Elizabeth Reaser and Nikki Reed (Kirk McKoy/Los Angeles Times).

Clicking on Green Links will take you to a third-party e-commerce site. These sites are not operated by the Los Angeles Times. The Times Editorial staff is not involved in any way with Green Links or with these third-party sites.

Comments

35 Responses to ‘Twilight: Eclipse': Here’s the scoop with six new star interviews

1. chelsea says:

I absolutely can not wait for Eclipse to come out in theaters! I have read the saga 3 times and personally feel that Eclipse is the most action packed of the books. I love the fact the this movie was finally brought onto the big screen.

2. Brittany says:

Who did the styling in this movie because it is AWFUL! Jasper's hair looks ridiculous…EPIC FAIL!

3. Joana T says:

FYI……characters name were incorrect.
    Supposed to be Rosalie Cullen and Alice Hale instead of the above!

4. Caitlin says:

Absolutley amazing!! I'm so ready for this movie to come out!! Super pumped

5. Chelsealynn says:

I can't wait, Seeing Alice's dark side is going to be amazing. since she's so sweet and innocent most times. Team Alice! <3

6. Chelsealynn says:

They had the names right, It's Alice Cullen and Rosalie Hale….

7. Jessie Bailey says:

I can not wait for Eclipse. I loved the books and now the movies. I really am excited. I know its suppose to be dark, but really, I dont care. I am just really excited to see the books come to life in theater and in home DVD players. And plus, its my 9 day early birthday present!

8. Laura says:

Joana T, FYI the names are correct… you have to read a few more times the books…
    Brittany, I agree with you… WHAT happen with the wigs in this movie?? they're HIDEOUS!!

9. rain says:

Oh my, those scrumptious Cullen men!!

10. Cathy McCann says:

I can not wait for Eclipse..marking off the days on the calendar .. Sad to hear that 5th book has been put on hold but got to read the pages Stephanie posted…OMG!! amazing as usual..no the wait for Eclipse and Breaking Dawn..:(..

11. Molly says:

I think Joana meant that since Rosalie and Alice are married, their names should be "Cullen" and "Hale," respectively. However, Jasper's last name is actually Whitlock, so you can say Alice Whitlock if you want.
    It sounds strange to say anything other than Rosalie Hale and Alice Cullen, though.

12. theresa Rauch says:

ya baby Bring on Eclipse I sooooooooooo can not wait. Holy cow June can't come soon enough. This is going to be the best one I bet.

13. annette says:

JoanaT…FYI the article is correct. ALICE CULLEN ROSALIE HALE. you may want to reread the books. other than that. I CANT wait for this movie to come out!

14. Beatriz says:

Não entendi nada que estava escrito mas…Adoro a toda a Saga e estou louca para assistir Eclipse.
    Gente, invejo "no bom sentido" todos vocês, pois stão aí nos EUA nessa cidade maravilhosa, cheia de sonho e fantasia do cinema…E eu aqui, no interior do Brasil do outro lado do mundo …Aliás, não sei enm cono mandar essta mensagem tá tudo inglês…

15. Mariam Osman says:

I hope the dialogue to this one is more faithful to the book…they really should've let Stephenie Meyer write the screenplay for the entire series

16. Ashlee says:

@Joana T FYI.. No, the names are right. Have you read the books? Rosalie and Jasper have the same last name because they look related and Carlisle thought it would be easier to pull off a human life if it looked like they adopted a brother and sister. =)
    Can't wait for Eclipse!!

17. JenB says:

I love hearing from the Cullen clan! I am so dang excited for this movie,I'm so glad that it's less than 2 months away. It's going to be weird to see Esme fighting but cool at the same time to see the newborn fight. I can't wait to see the engagement! And I really hope the parts where Alice tries to convince Bella to let her plan the wedding & where she shows her her dress are in the movie. Those are two of my favorite Alice moments in the saga!

18. Virginia says:

Character names actually WERE correct. Jasper Hale may be married to Alice, but is Rosalie Hale's adoptive brother. They're supposedly twins in Forks

19. Kaleen Hongola says:

Edward looks more like a car burgler than a vampire with that sweater! I mean, don't get me wrong, he's still sexy, but a little bit scarier!!!!!!

20. Nana MJ says:

MUST. HAVE. TICKETS. When will they be released for sale. I have nieces, a daughter and a newly inducted sister that can't wait to see "Eclipse".

21. cilla says:

I wish i cud see the movie now i so cant wait till it comes out im getting ready for its going to be awesum…

22. Alice says:

if it is true are the most sexy to me personally but I really like all I like most is Edward and Jacob are very beautiful but I like all the major characters. The world of Cullen is cold, dark

23. twilight mom says:

I cannot wait to watch the Eclipse movie – and praying for Breaking Dawn to come in one whole long movie or two movies that we can watch back to back…….and please don't take forever making it and getting it out. (lol)
    I have read the books 4 times – and could read them many more times, they are sooo good! Counting down the days….

24. docthrax says:

I cant wait for the Eclipse to come out in theaters.. I love the fact that this movie was finally brought onto the big screen. I have read the saga 3 times and personally feel that Eclipse is the most action packed of the books..
    this movie is really great…..

25. Kara says:

Dear Mr. Condon (Director of Breaking Dawn)
    Can you please see to it that Jasper's hair gets fixed!? Something weird was going on when hair and make-up got together. The chemistry was perfect in Twilight. For ALL of the Cullens. Now their eyes are weird but probably more true to the text so this is ok. Edwards makeup is funky. Jasper's hair is horrible. Vampires can't grow hair or change appearances so much so we're kind of veering off track from the novels. Since we can't go back and fix this issue for movies that have been made or are currently filming, let's just move forward. And I agree with Mariam on the dialog. I would love to sit through how every many hours necessary to fit as much as possible into the film. I don't understand how some movies can be 4 hours long, but this wonderful saga has to be condensed into 2 hours. Again, let's just move forward with these issues and make the final movie(s?) amazingly spectacular! Please and thank you.
    Sincerely,
    A HUGE fan!

26. Raylane Cardoso says:

Can not wait to power more watching on a film of this fascinating story that is twilight.
    I love the Cullen family, all actors are fascinating.
    Rob (Edwar) you're all good.

27. janna says:

tthis is emaysy :) I love twilight

28. sarah knight says:

oh and its Rosalie Hale and Alice Cullen!

29. joanna says:

I love the Twilight books, and the movies so far have been entertaining, but I have been disappointed by them, too. I wish that Stephenie Meyer had been as dedicated and focused as J.K. Rowling was when the Harry Potter books were brought to the screen. The Harry Potter movies were very true to the books and all of the most important parts were included in the films. Not so with the Twilight movies. The whole Jacob thing is not true to the books at all, and is actually quite annoying. Bella's love for Edward was never in question in the books and she only ran away from Alice,not Edward, to spend some time with Jacob. It is frustrating to see the movies change the stories to make Jacob more prominent when he is just a supporting character. And now, with the screening of Eclipse, it sounds like they have changed the plot to make it sound like Jacob tells the Cullens about the vampires in Seattle, not the other way around, as it was at the Grad party. Very disappointing if that is the case. It makes me wonder what will be distorted in Breaking Dawn.
    Eclipse was my favourite book and I was so looking forward to seeing the movie, but I am afraid I will be very disappointed…again.

30. sarah knight says:

I can’t wait to see the movie! seeing the story of Rose and Jasper is going to be cool, for some reason its seems a bit different from the book and the movies they are never what they seem, always a bit different, but what they did to the twilight movies are great, I love them!. And in the book u really get to see why Rose does not want Bella to be turner, it will be very cool to see Rose actually talk to Bella and tell her why, and not seem so mad. And I hope seeing the movies will make ppl want to READ the books. Because there is only so much that Nikki, Jackson, Kellan, Robert, Peter, Ashley, Elizabeth and Kristen can show when they act, don’t get me wrong I love them all, they are awesome actors and actresses. And seeing Elizabeth character Esme on the fight seen. IT’S GOING TO BE THE KOOLEST THING EVER! And seeing Jasper’s story. It’s going to be cool, and seeing Emmet smile so much is going to be funny, because he wants to fight all the time, and now he gets to have a chance. He is excited. And just seeing Alice makes people happy. She always seems so happy and prissy like Ashley said. If she just enters the room people go wild, everyone loves her. I love Alice and Ashley Greene! Well really I love them all. But we can never forget the wolves. I love them! Kiowa, Alex, Taylor, Chaske, Tyson, Bronson, and the lovely Tinsel Korey. Sometime it seem like some ppl forget all the wolf pack, well besides Taylor. lol but I like Kiowa a lot, he’s cool very layed back when I saw him at a convention and he can sing too, oh and don’t forget Gill even if he is not in a lot of the seens in New Moon he’s part of the pack too. And Billy Burke I don’t think it’s that easy playing a dad, but he’s awesome. And Bella friends Jessica, Mike Eric Tyler and Angela, which is really Christian, Anna, Michael, Justin, and Gregory. Ha-ha it’s cool to see mike act sick, but when I saw him in real life he was all hyper, lol but he’s cool. They all are. The Volturi vampires Michael, as Aro, Jamie as Caius, Dakota as Jane, Christopher as Marcus, Daniel as Felix, and Charlie as Demetri, ha-ha I think I write to much but everyone should be recognized. They did a really good job when I saw Christopher in real life, I almost wet peed, he is so funny! And I was wondering why did you guys change Victoria?? Just want to know. But it’s going to be cool to see every ones look in Eclipse. It seem like it changes every movie so far, and I don’t think jasper’s look is all that bad. They just want to try and see what looks good and stuff. I can read the books over and over again just to see how I would do it, but they do a really great job doing the hair and makeup. But ya I can go on and on with talking about Twilight. TWILIGHT FOREVER!

31. Suziane says:

It will be fantastic for me to Stephanie Meyer could write 10 more books about the Cullen family I would love, just an unforgettable story. Edward and Bella forever.

32. shannonh08 says:

Jasper is my favorite character! I have NO PROBLEM with his hair….I LOVE it! My problem is his wardrobe!!!!! Why, oh why do they put him those hideous sweaters?

33. Sal Scalley says:

I am a pretty avid adventurist and will admit that I’m anal about my gear. If there’s one thing that I highly dislike, it’s when my tools give way. That’s why I always buy quality tools to gear myself up and be prepared for just about anything the dusty trail throws at me.

34. Can I simply say such a relief to discover anyone who definitely knows what they may be discussing on the web. You certainly can take a difficulty to light and allow it to essential. Even more people require to learn this particular and understand it all aspect of the story. I can’t believe you are not more popular as you surely have the gift.